Harness without rollcage

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

kaiowas

Re: Harness without rollcage

Post by kaiowas »

I'd be surprised if you can fit those into an MR2, I have a pair of similar style harnesses (but without the inertia reel) that are intended for use in a 4 seat car and there was no way to get the straps short enough to fit in an MR2
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Actually they have been spotted (and possibly used) by an IMOC'er in the past, I just can't remember which thread I've seen them on :wink:
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

kaiowas wrote:I'd be surprised if you can fit those into an MR2, I have a pair of similar style harnesses (but without the inertia reel) that are intended for use in a 4 seat car and there was no way to get the straps short enough to fit in an MR2

Checked with him on the phone. He confirmed that the belt will lock within 1cm of the opening from the inertia reel on these so should be fine :thumleft:
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Ok phase one...unsuccessful. The distance between the firewall and the back of the seats is too short. With the quick release system attached, the section where the belt loops around, is already touching the back of the seat. I'm guessing that in the event of an accident, the inertia reel wouldn't have enough distance to click as the belts themselves would yank on the back of the seat and cause IT to take the force. Clearly no go.

Sooooo.. They are going to look at removing the quick release system and just have the belt come directly from the reel itself. No reason this can't be done, and it would suit the MR2 perfectly :thumleft:

The only reason the quick release is on, is for 4 seater cars where it would anchor to the back seats. You can then remove it when you need the back seats. It forms about 15cm of the distance behind the seat, so with this removed, it would be MR2 friendly.

I'll keep updates coming. WHEN this works, I'm guessing there would be great interest in a group buy with some discount?
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

kaiowas wrote:I'd be surprised if you can fit those into an MR2, I have a pair of similar style harnesses (but without the inertia reel) that are intended for use in a 4 seat car and there was no way to get the straps short enough to fit in an MR2

Well, you were right...but it was close! It almost had enough room to work, but with the quick release belt section removed, I've measured and it will work a treat! :thumleft:
Lefty1991

Post by Lefty1991 »

I will definitely be up for a set of these, just need to finish fitting my seats first
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Lefty1991 wrote:I will definitely be up for a set of these, just need to finish fitting my seats first

You're a wise man. They look fantastic too 8)

As Luke is a sub division of Corbeau, they can also put either badge on too :thumleft:
Lefty1991

Post by Lefty1991 »

mr2nut123 wrote:
Lefty1991 wrote:I will definitely be up for a set of these, just need to finish fitting my seats first

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://s32.postimg.org/qefe42zdh/20160513_193342.jpg

As Luke is a sub division of Corbeau, they can also put either badge on too :thumleft:

Who have you brought them through? How long do you think until ou get the modified set?
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Lefty1991 wrote:
mr2nut123 wrote:

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://s32.postimg.org/qefe42zdh/20160513_193342.jpg

Who have you brought them through? How long do you think until ou get the modified set?

I got them direct from Corbeau. They're an American product but they can import them to the UK and they're road legal. I know their tech guy quite well now, he's a top lad so he's agreed that a group buy is possible once mine has proven MR2 compatibility :thumleft:
Lefty1991

Post by Lefty1991 »

Awesome, look forward to seeing how you get on
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Good news! Belts done and dusted. Saved about 16cm in total which will give it more than enough room to lock before touching the back of the seat.

I will possibly get them back for the weekend. If so, they'll be done by Sunday night :thumleft: The future of MR2 harnesses :D

Lefty1991

Post by Lefty1991 »

That's looks smarter than having the extra buckle
JLW

Post by JLW »

mr2nut123 wrote:Good news! Belts done and dusted. Saved about 16cm in total which will give it more than enough room to lock before touching the back of the seat.

I will possibly get them back for the weekend. If so, they'll be done by Sunday night :thumleft: The future of MR2 harnesses :D

Im heading down to Corbeau's head office in St Leonards on Sea this friday to try out their Pro-Series seat. might have to talk to them about these belts.
has it been this office you've been speaking with to get it sorted for mr2 application ?
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

JLW wrote:
mr2nut123 wrote:Good news! Belts done and dusted. Saved about 16cm in total which will give it more than enough room to lock before touching the back of the seat.

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://s32.postimg.org/n10rrs1j9/IMG_0462.jpg

Im heading down to Corbeau's head office in St Leonards on Sea this friday to try out their Pro-Series seat. might have to talk to them about these belts.
has it been this office you've been speaking with to get it sorted for mr2 application ?

Pm'd :thumleft:
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Firewall drilled last night. Directly behind the seat and about 10 degrees down, there's a perfect spot to drill and attach the spreader plate in the engine bay side. It clears the engine bay mounts by a few cm and looks nice and tidy.

I would have had them done last night...but I found that the included 1" 7/16 bolts didn't quite have enough length to pass through the interior carpet and thick firewall. I'll be getting some 2" replacements today and should have them installed in the next few days. Progress pics to come :thumleft:

I'll report back this info so that when A group buy happens, they can include suitable bolts for our motors.
Lefty1991

Post by Lefty1991 »

mr2nut123 wrote:Firewall drilled last night. Directly behind the seat and about 10 degrees down, there's a perfect spot to drill and attach the spreader plate in the engine bay side. It clears the engine bay mounts by a few cm and looks nice and tidy.

I would have had them done last night...but I found that the included 1" 7/16 bolts didn't quite have enough length to pass through the interior carpet and thick firewall. I'll be getting some 2" replacements today and should have them installed in the next few days. Progress pics to come :thumleft:

I'll report back this info so that when A group buy happens, they can include suitable bolts for our motors.

Pictures will be good, where are you planning on bolting the lap belt to?
I'll have to get all the info for these off you incase a group buy doesn't happen because I want these either way
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

subbed
:thumleft:
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

jimGTS wrote:subbed

Well...the answer we were all looking for is a here... *drum roll*

It works a treat!! Inertia reel harness in an MR2!

I did a quick video but will add a detailed how to when I get access to a PC and not just on my phone.

https://youtu.be/Qw1hxCwWLjw
Lefty1991

Post by Lefty1991 »

mr2nut123 wrote:

I did a quick video but will add a detailed how to when I get access to a PC and not just on my phone.

Awesome, how do I order mine?
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Lefty1991 wrote:
mr2nut123 wrote:

Awesome, how do I order mine?

Give a chap called Keane a call on 01424 854499 and tell him that Luke sent you. They may charge a little extra to make the modifications to it as they get them pre-made from their parent company in the US.

Things you'll need:

2x Grade 8 bolts.
4 x Spreader plates. (2 x 65mm and 2 x 55mm).
1 x 12mm metal drill bit and drill.
Socket set with various ends between 10-15mm.

I'd recommend 2 inch bolts so that you can allow the spreader plate to grip the thread when going through the firewall. It's plenty long enough but it's hard to push through with the firewall spongy material on your own. This bit is easier with 2 people unless you have long arms and can reach to the inside and outside firewall at the same time.

The reason I advise 55mm spreader plates for the inertia reel, is to keep the angle of the belt as horizontal as possible. I found out the hard way that 65mm plates don't quite slide under the hinge of the engine lid. I'll post pics soon to help better describe this later.

Also, ensure that you get your bolts from a reputable place and not eBay. Grade 5 bolts are often classed as 8.8 which is very confusing. I'd recommend here: http://www.imperialnutsandbolts.com/fas ... _1269.html

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”