'Champ White' Turbo Build

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

l1ca

Re: 'Champ White' Turbo Build

Post by l1ca »

Got a few updates to the project:

The Evo seats have been fitted, custom brackets fabricated and after a few days hard work (thanks Pete) they are in, and look outstanding! :clap:

They are about as snug as you can get into the MR2 cabin, 10mm clearance on either side, perfectly central, and as close to an OEM fitment as you can get.

I havnt seen these in the flesh yet but given the excitement and general "im chuffed with this job" tone in Mr Giddens voice I cant wait to stick my ar$e in these. :lol:
craig

Post by craig »

Hmmmmm, look suspiciously familiar. :-k :mrgreen:

Mine are from an Evo7:

Yours from an Evo8 I believe. Look great mate, they're nice seats, enjoy. :thumleft:
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

Now she is an old girl, getting on to be 19, and without any history of having her cambelt changed im not scrimping on something as silly as an old rubber belt.

Que generic, worthless, uninteresting cambelt change picture.

Now onto more interesting things:

The Aeroware splitter has arrived! \:D/

A pretty bad photo I know, but I didn't really want to get it out of its packaging, knowing me it'll get scuffed and ill be gutted. So, next picture you'll see will be it temp fitted the 3S-FE bumper which arrives on Weds.

Tiny recap, but the front im aiming for is this:

l1ca

Post by l1ca »

Whilst the cambelt was being changed I asked Pete to have a little nosey under her and see if any "whilst she is here jobs" can be done.

He found this, a split CV boot which had leaked a little grease around the area:

Mehh, not too bad considering she is approaching 20, and if all he can find is a split boot, then im a happy man. Sills are all fine, and she is generally as dry as a dead dingos donger, so result. \:D/

My options here were to order a cheap universal Boot kit, which, (and I quote)

Fit every car except the one you're fitting it to, and you'll change it in about 4 months anyway

Or a slightly more expensive OEM one from Mr T, which was obviously the one bought, and fitted a few days later.

Not entirely sure why its been packed with piccalilli though? :-k

:-s
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

Also after mulling around with colour choices for the stickers to go on the Regamaster, and spending many many hours in photoshop I decided not to stray too far from the authentic Regamaster look and decided on red.

Which, days after telling the Bodyshop, "they'll be here in 2 - 6 weeks" turned up.

Get Regas, get pus*y. ;)

Looking forward to slapping these on when they come back from being refurbed.

The only question now is, black or red calipers!

More updates to come before the end of the week.
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

RedMR² wrote:Hmmmmm, look suspiciously familiar. :-k :mrgreen:

Mine are from an Evo7:

Yours from an Evo8 I believe. Look great mate, they're nice seats, enjoy. :thumleft:

Love the look of yours Craig, just wish mine were as clean, there's time yet. :oops: :thumleft:
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

Well, its been an eventful last few days, managed to get a few hours and get down to Sbits and check a few things out.

First thing I did was marry up the Aeroware splitter to the brand new 3S-FE bumper from Toyota, I love the look of this, a nice blend of aggressive looking front with a fitment that can only be had with standard manufacturer parts.

I cant wait to see this painted up and fitted.

As the car will have a very white and black theme, ive removed the dark crystal side lights from my original border replica and ill fit these, as well as having the centre section of the bumper and the splitter painted black.

Difficult to explain without an image but basically this, minus the fogs.

l1ca

Post by l1ca »

Now the bit ive been personally looking forward to for a long time.

The Regamasters are finished! \:D/ Dave at Deepcar Autobodies has done a steller job, im very very happy with how these have turned out.

Just to refresh peoples memory, these were taken off Kongs old car which unfortunately burnt out taking a lot of parts with it, the Regamasters were badly damaged (thankfully not structurally) and I picked them up looking like this:

I got titbits of images from Pete and until recently they looked like this, old paint removed, wheels repaired where needed and was undergoing the smooth down re-primer loop until Dave was satisfied.

Then a couple of days ago my phone buzzed and these were sent.

These images show the wheels in paint booth light and appear two, maybe three shades lighter than they actually are, I was a tad concerned as I wanted a deep bronze colour.

Dave assured me and a few hours later sent me this.

Exactly the shade I wanted. :thumleft:

All that's needed now is two wrap the rears in some nice fat rubber, decided to go for 255/40/17, meaning the arches will definitely have to be rolled.

Its moving on and hopefully should be in for painting this coming month. \:D/
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Well... I've got to be honest.

Dude I love them!! They have came out awesome! Gonna look ace on your car for sure!

Stick some 255 Toyo R1R's on the back and you will be laughing (not to be confused with T1R)

Awesome :thumleft:
'98 Rev5 Turbo (GEO 1S)

TOTB13 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
TOTB14 RWD 1/4mile 3rd place (Misfiring)
TOTB15 RWD 1/4mile 2nd place (HG Failure)
TOTB16 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

Thanks George, cant wait to see them wrapped and the car sitting on them!

I took some scans of all the stickers, if you like I can re-vector these and send them across should you ever want to sticker yours up?

:thumleft:
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

A few more updates, I decided against the Evo Recaros, like I say the intention has always been a pair of Brides Low Max, but it seems it wasnt meant to be.

I missed out on a really good deal, my fault, I was just dragging my heels on it and they got sold. #-o

I met up with a member - Chris_9011, absolutely top bloke, and after an hour or so of drooling over his widebody (MR2) :lol: and contemplating running off with it we did a deal on my Recaros, for his freshly re-trimmed standard half leather seats.

Then something turned up at a price I just couldnt ignore...

Absolutely perfect fitment, as you'd expect from something from Toyota, these seats are clean, no rips, bolsters are very firm and more than all that, are uber rare. I wasnt even aware Toyota made these until they cropped up and I did a bit of digging.

Lets see how long this interior lasts :whistle:

Got a few more things in the pipe line, some more bits to be delivered and the car should be going in for bodywork and painting in the next week or so :pray: so expect some more meaty updates soon!

Still got a hell of a way to go before this is complete, but slowly getting there.
MUGENMR2

Post by MUGENMR2 »

What are those Recaro seats called, if they have a name at all? I have them in my MR2 and I'm going to sell them when my new seats arrive.
gerbil1028

Post by gerbil1028 »

Have them in mine except I just refurbbed mine had the recaro embroidered and fitted heating elements.
One day the Phoenix will rise from the ashes.
SrSilkie

Post by SrSilkie »

I'm the same, kinda gone off the street racer look myself and love where you are going with this...it's going to look great!

Though you don't half go through interiors do you :lol:

Look forward to seeing photos from after the painters!

What colour did you decide on with the calipers?
Black 94' GT-S Turbo
synXero

Post by synXero »

Look forward to seeing it at Le Mans.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Good progress :clap: :clap:

Where did you order your aeroware splitter from?
craig

Post by craig »

Regas and front splitter look good mate. I've never been a fan of the mr2 Recaros, I think the Evo8 seats look way cooler, and you should have kept them.

Just my opinion though, and it's your car so who cares. Enjoy.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

how much was the FE bumper from toyota??

nice work with the wheels, though not sure i like the evo decal on there.

:?
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

Right, time for some updates / replies guys. Been really busy recently, and whilst updates have been trickling in from the painters and what not I just havnt had time to really sit down and do this.

Firstly, the calipers have come back, had some issues with getting the pistons from abroad, so the delivery time was extended by a week or so, but given the cars present state its hardly held anyone back on anything.

I can thoroughly recommend Big Red, their work really is top notch. They came back looking better than new, everything, apart from the actual caliper housing has been replaced and tested with a very reasonable bill attached.
wikiz wrote:What colour did you decide on with the calipers?

After much umming and arring, I decided on:

These should look great behind those bronze Regas.
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

Ever since I saw Chris911's TRD rep, Ive wanted some Rev 1 black headlining, absolutely transforms the interior. Much more modern (irony being its from the earliest revision!) 8-[

I was contemplating taking my grey headlining out, buying some fabric spray and doing it myself, but thankfully some did come up for sale, hands were had off and my interior was changed out.

I cannot stress how much of a difference this small (but tedious to actually do) mod makes. I actually have all my grey sections and a black courtesy light for sale should anyone want to run with my idea of fabric painting the headlining and visors without potentially ruining their fitted interior?

Return to “Member Profiles”