mr2 turbo rev 3+ vs s2000

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

QUOC2008

Re: mr2 turbo rev 3+ vs s2000

Post by QUOC2008 »

I love the mr2 s but they do have a lot of difficult driving complexes and some times i just want to beat, no no destroy the other guy on the road... so i cheat...😈😈😈😈

I take the evo out... but its no fun after a while. Cheat mode lol
MR2 REV 3 TURBO 450BHP
3000GT VR4 TT 500BHP
EVO X FQ360
Marf

Post by Marf »

The MR2 is a good car, I owned a 300hp Rev3 for 60,000 miles and 5 years and it never let me down or failed to put a smile on my face, but at the end of the day the suspension is not that advanced, the engine's torque response is pretty poor, they have a snappy nature and when they oversteer you have to get your counter steer spot on or you're in a hedge from over correcting.

I drive an FD now, it has the same 50/50 weight distribution as the S2k, the same front mid layout, the same double wishbone suspension setup and it is leagues ahead of the MR2 in terms of handling, poise, adjustability, steering feel and chassis communication. It actually tells you what's happening all the time and is really progressive, whereas the MR2 was just grip grip grip grip SNAP oversteer.

The engines torque response makes mid corner adjustment so much easier, there's no "press the pedal and wait to see how much power I get" like the MR2, it's like driving a strong N/A engine.

I can imagine the S2k is very similar to drive, albeit not in the outright speed stakes.

But hey, I don't really expect that much of an unbiased debate on a one make forum :)
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

There's loads of videos on YouTube from years ago of different cars being raced around tsukuba circuit. I haven't watched them for years and I can't remember what they're called but I can recall the mr2 turbo could hold its own against some 'faster cars'.

Would be interesting to see the average lap times at silverstone for say an mr2 challenge car and the equivalent s2k class race.

The two cars both have different strengths and weaknesses. The skinny 195 standard tyres on the mr2 aren't one it's strong points when talking about braking performance but they do become a bonus when your talking about acceleration down a straight.

The main thing to remember is s2000 ( and rx7 ) gay. Mr2 turbo, (mainly rev3) is not gay.
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

QUOC2008 wrote:I love the mr2 s but they do have a lot of difficult driving complexes

Only really at the limit, and if you're trying to muscle the car instead of coaxing it.
If you're spinning on a road you are doing something wrong.
QUOC2008

Post by QUOC2008 »

Marf wrote:The MR2 is a good car, I owned a 300hp Rev3 for 60,000 miles and 5 years and it never let me down or failed to put a smile on my face, but at the end of the day the suspension is not that advanced, the engine's torque response is pretty poor, they have a snappy nature and when they oversteer you have to get your counter steer spot on or you're in a hedge from over correcting.

I drive an FD now, it has the same 50/50 weight distribution as the S2k, the same front mid layout, the same double wishbone suspension setup and it is leagues ahead of the MR2 in terms of handling, poise, adjustability, steering feel and chassis communication. It actually tells you what's happening all the time and is really progressive, whereas the MR2 was just grip grip grip grip SNAP oversteer.

The engines torque response makes mid corner adjustment so much easier, there's no "press the pedal and wait to see how much power I get" like the MR2, it's like driving a strong N/A engine.

I can imagine the S2k is very similar to drive, albeit not in the outright speed stakes.

But hey, I don't really expect that much of an unbiased debate on a one make forum :)

I agree with alot of what you say but there is a big grip grip ... snap lol so true... but this maybe because we r giving bad inputs and the mr2 biggest weakness is that sudden snap and very little feedback before it happens. Im still learning to work these weaknesses out with.my driving skills to compansate for this but not working lol.

But i dont think the rx7 or s2000 is miles ahead just driver feedback is better... im sure some people here have done some extreme stuff to get that right on these cars...
MR2 REV 3 TURBO 450BHP
3000GT VR4 TT 500BHP
EVO X FQ360
Marf

Post by Marf »

dazzz wrote:There's loads of videos on YouTube from years ago of different cars being raced around tsukuba circuit. I haven't watched them for years and I can't remember what they're called but I can recall the mr2 turbo could hold its own against some 'faster cars'.

Best Motoring. And bear in minded they are just as scripted as Top Gear ;)
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

If we were to say both cars were being driven perfectly on track.

Hot lap style where one car laps on its own round and round I don't know which car would have the faster lap time.

If both cars were to race head to head then the mr2 would be the faster car. Off the start the mr2 would be first into the corner by being able to take advantage of its ability to take off from stand still. The s2000 may be able to carry more speed through corners but the mr2 would be on its racing line.

You know the mr2 turbo is a fast cat when other cars have to do the catching.
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

Marf wrote:
dazzz wrote:There's loads of videos on YouTube from years ago of different cars being raced around tsukuba circuit. I haven't watched them for years and I can't remember what they're called but I can recall the mr2 turbo could hold its own against some 'faster cars'.

http://youtu.be/FFEi-0Rx6J0

Mr2 is a fast car.
Marf

Post by Marf »

OK lets talk Tsukuba then Dazzz-San since you brought it up

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/tsukuba.html

The highest placed S2000 is 122nd with a time of 1:07.72.

Can you find the highest placed MR2 Turbo?? It comes after the RX-7 RS by the way :mrgreen:
Marf

Post by Marf »

dazzz wrote:
Marf wrote:

http://youtu.be/FFEi-0Rx6J0

Mr2 is a fast car.

Scripted motoring enthusiast programme places MR2 Turbo first in episode about MR2s.:-k

:lol:
QUOC2008

Post by QUOC2008 »

I have watched all these vids... its quite close with all the cars beats alot on drag races...
MR2 REV 3 TURBO 450BHP
3000GT VR4 TT 500BHP
EVO X FQ360
QUOC2008

Post by QUOC2008 »

I just dont think honda are the best at any thing but just being a good around car not the fastest or best handling just alright ...

But who wants to be just good or alright... !

Rx7 r soo cool but the engines r soo tempermental just like a women with a period
MR2 REV 3 TURBO 450BHP
3000GT VR4 TT 500BHP
EVO X FQ360
Marf

Post by Marf »

QUOC2008 wrote:

Rx7 r soo cool but the engines r soo tempermental just like a women with a period

Misogyny much? :lol:

Any car treats you like you treat it. Rotaries are no different. Zoom zoom ;)
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

It looks like the s2000 is 3 tenths quicker than a car 14 years it's senior.

Tsukuba isn't a track which plays well to the mr2 when hot lapping but under race conditions the mr2 will have to be overtaken.

C'mon Marf. In 1993 the mr2 turbo was a fast car. In 2007 the s2000 wasn't a fast car.

You a hater. Mr2 is the boss. I'd race my car against your car around the nurburgring any day homeboy.
Marf

Post by Marf »

dazzz wrote:
You a hater. Mr2 is the boss. I'd race my car against your car around the nurburgring any day homeboy.

:lol:

Any time any where :mrgreen:

dazzz

Post by dazzz »

That list is pretty xxxx Marf

I wouldn't have even posted a link to that to highlight your point.

Lame

:pale:
Marf

Post by Marf »

Oh but Best Motoring on the other hand is automotive gospel? :mrgreen:
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

Your just Jelly cos you sold your car and bought a slower one.

I see you looking through the mr2s for sale section, dreaming, regretting, hating.

Now you can't go back cos people will think your weak.

Ha
Marf

Post by Marf »

Your psychological instinct is amazing! Where did you get your degree in psychology? Tellytubbyland? :-k
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

Heheh Marf, you're making me laugh, stop fishing, some owners will bite

I love a RX7 in the late spec. It's well known ( if you know your cars) the FD is built for handling

The s2k has got its own horror stories about its handling. The SW20 rev 3 will destroy it in a drag race but on a tight circuit the s2k would win.

Can't we all just get along :lol:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”