Feedback from J5 @ BookaTrack + Next trackday thread

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: Feedback from J5 @ BookaTrack + Next trackday thread

Post by Lauren »

Kipps wrote:I take it your going to be restriced to what tracks BaT can offer ? As Oulton park is a throughly good circuit ( And close to me :D )

Kipps, while Oulton is a great circuit, its not the place for newbies IMO. And yep its very close to me too. But i wouldn't recommend going there unless you are an experienced trackdayer.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Kipps

Post by Kipps »

Lauren wrote:
Kipps, while Oulton is a great circuit, its not the place for newbies IMO. And yep its very close to me too. But i wouldn't recommend going there unless you are an experienced trackdayer.

:( :( :(
I do see your poin though as Oulton Park claimed the life of my track 205 which is why I bought the Mr2 ... suppose thats a good thing though :D
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Kipps wrote:
Lauren wrote:

:( :( :(
I do see your poin though as Oulton Park claimed the life of my track 205 which is why I bought the Mr2 ... suppose thats a good thing though :D

Because we want to encourage members to get into trackdays, we always pick somewhere where its relatively safe and there is plenty of run off where needed.

I for one would simply love to do an IMOC day at Cadwell, but i realise that it can seem a pretty daunting circuit if you don't know it.

Anglesey is technical enough, but not too difficult to get basically right, though its interesting enough that it will take many hours to master it. Plus there is plenty of opportunity to have some fun at this circuit, ie you can goon it or simply go for driving quickly. I like a mixture of both really. At airfields i only really goon as its teh ideal place to do it.
DoM

Post by DoM »

It's good to get that sort of feedback from Jonny, the standard of driving was excellent especially considering there were quite a few who hadnt driven on track before.

Anglesey is a great circuit, the best circuit I've driven in the UK. (Haven't done Oulton or Cadwell yet!!)

Can't describe what it is that makes it so good, it just flows really well and has some fantastic corners!
anna

Post by anna »

BenF wrote:
Aaron - you mention you're worried about gravel-trap rash - FWIW I binned my Mk1 into Redgate bigtime at Donnington (nose first - locked one front wheel up in the wet under braking and went straight on at ~50mph into the gravel trap ) and checking the car over there's next to no stone damage. The most annoying thing was stones in the undertray raddling and dropping out of the car though (!)

And I had the pleasure of visiting the Craner curves gravel trap (after doing a 720 spin on the grass). No damage to the car at all - even though it went in like a snow plow! The problem with gravel traps comes when you hit them sideways..... :?
markiii

Post by markiii »

anglesea gets my vote
Sooty

Post by Sooty »

Mallory is a great circuit for newbie trackdayers. Long straight, longest bend in British motorsport and a tight hairpin all in a small little circuit.

Easy to learn, difficult to master.
Goto10

Post by Goto10 »

Anglesey gets my vote, sounds ideal for the next IMOC circuit shindig.
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

Where on Anglesey is the track? cant find it on any map
Goto10

Post by Goto10 »

quigonjay wrote:Where on Anglesey is the track? cant find it on any map

http://www.anglesey-race-circuit.co.uk/
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

One question...

Do they hire these out for the day?

http://www.angleseycircuit.com/gallery.htm

:wink:
spgreen

Post by spgreen »

Anglesey gets my vote, bit of a PITA to get to but always wanted to drive there
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

MegatronUK wrote:One question...

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://www.angleseycircuit.com/gallery- ... CF0048.JPG

No.

HTH ;)
fazza

Post by fazza »

What about Bruntingthorpe 2 mile long straight and twisty bits to. :-k
leewaring

Post by leewaring »

Yeah I've driven Elvington twice now and want somewhere else to stretch the legs. Anglesea has my vote too.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

fazza wrote:What about Bruntingthorpe 2 mile long straight and twisty bits to. :-k

Can't do it through BaT.

Prefer the quality of days at BaT, think Angersea is far preferable.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

MegatronUK wrote:One question...

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://www.angleseycircuit.com/gallery- ... CF0048.JPG

Heh heh - you could always hire one of the BAT Caterhams and try and emulate Jonny's opposite-lock driving style -
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

Lauren wrote:
Kipps wrote:I take it your going to be restriced to what tracks BaT can offer ? As Oulton park is a throughly good circuit ( And close to me :D )

Kipps, I agree, Oulton is a top track, but I also totally agree with Lauren. It's very narrow, quite long and extremely technical. It's far too dangerous for newbies (Druids springs to mind). My favourite track is Cadwell, but it has the same problems as Oulton.

Anglesey is perfect. It has everything. You are *unlikely* to do any damage, the only corner I can think of that might cause a problem is School Corner. But to be honest unless your MR2 is highly modified or you are running slicks, I don't think you will spin off far enough to hit the tyre barriers (unless the grass is wet).
DannyW

Post by DannyW »

ok anglesey sounds like the prefered choice of most. may end up being a little too expensive for me (silly gas guzzling JTNB!)

can we have some ideas of cost please, including a nights accomadation perhaps?

cheers!

DannyW
anna

Post by anna »

DannyW wrote:ok anglesey sounds like the prefered choice of most. may end up being a little too expensive for me (silly gas guzzling JTNB!)

can we have some ideas of cost please, including a nights accomadation perhaps?

cheers!

DannyW

I'm sure Lauren will be along later with better info, but bookatrack have some trips to anglesey next month at £125. IIRC, the IMOC day there in April 2004 cost equivalent of about £120ish, so i'm guessing this one will be in the same ballpark.

Accomodation can vary, but i'm sure a local b&b will do around £20 pppn.

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”