[Mk2] [Turbo] Information request - Rev 2 vs Rev 3 head - Real world advantage?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ashley

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Information request - Rev 2 vs Rev 3 head - Real world advantage?

Post by ashley »

Sounds very interesting, always keen to see real data.

I'm planning to build a new head for my motor if I can get hold of a beams head...struggling to find anyone who wants to sell just a head though :lol:
gavinda

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Information request - Rev 2 vs Rev 3 head - Real world advantage?

Post by gavinda »

I have a beams head here also, not flow tested it yet but it has great port angle and port. The beams head is a much more expensive proposition given its rarity and fundamental differences tho.
mrdb

Post by mrdb »

Some actual test data :)

mrdb

Post by mrdb »

more power from rev3 is almost totally down to beter stock cams/manifold/turbo/ecu and a bit more boost.

The actual rev3 head has little advantage and is actually a bit worse in some respects.

Rev2 engines also seem to make more touque.

TVIS can be left in use well into 500bhp its activation point just needs altering.
Danbob

Post by Danbob »

Thanks for this info!

I am keen to keep TVIS and I don't need 500hp, so as I have a spare Rev 2 head I think that my best bet is to find a cheap Rev 3 NA head and steal the cams and buckets from it, then find a CT20B

That way I can start working straight away on the spare head and inlet mani without shelling out any money until necessary

Cheers
Dan
mrfil13

Post by mrfil13 »

Regarding the tvis activation point. I have an led connected to the tvis pin on the ecu.

Going by the led. The ports are open after 2500rpm and do not close until you drop below 2000rpm.

Return to “Modifications”