One more!

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

PW@Woodsport

Re: One more!

Post by PW@Woodsport »

It won't, don't worry, are you saying if you got caught speeding you'd stand in court and defend yourself in KMH?

It's just YOUR personal preference to use KMH, which is fine, but please don't try to justify it to anyone else as there is no logical reason to use KMH in this country unless you're only trying to be different.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Lauren now you're being silly, i didn't call you stupid, you're an intelligent girl, i said using KMH in a MPH country was stupid, so give me one reason why using KMH is a good thing to do?

craig

Post by craig »

PW@Woodsport wrote:so give me one reason why using KMH is a good thing to do?

hmmm.......silence.. :mrgreen:
stenky

Post by stenky »

didn't the japanese cars have dual-system fascia? or US models did?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

1. It's a better unit of measurement. :+:

Enough OT!
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

LOL how is it better?

The only place it appears to be better is in your head, the rest of us use the system that is currently used by 99.999999% of the UK.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

BMR2L wrote: That and a UK speedo in the SC dash should be all it needs. Much, much simpler than our big Mitsubishi which I put through the IVA test last summer.

-Alan

Lauren wrote: Don't change the speedo, keep it in k/mh. It's perfectly legal and it's no issue to know what various speeds are in km/h and mph, you get used to it very easily.

I run my UK spec car in km/h because I prefer it

As far as being OT goes, the OP brought it up and you carried it on, seems only those with a different opinion (in this case the majority) aren't allowed to comment..... :roll:
craig

Post by craig »

PW@Woodsport wrote:LOL how is it better?

The only place it appears to be better is in your head, the rest of us use the system that is currently used by 99.999999% of the UK.

precisely this^

PW@Woodsport wrote:

As far as being OT goes, the OP brought it up and you carried it on, seems only those with a different opinion (in this case the majority) aren't allowed to comment..... :roll:

and this^ :lol:
andyj

Post by andyj »

I kept mine with kph as I wanted to keep it original and quite like being different. It's a talking point at shows sometimes, which is quite nice.

My documents at import show a week before it was registered it had an MOT. It failed on "sidelights not white" and "no warning light for rear fog light". Interestingly "speedo" wasn't ticked pass or fail.

So I think you're both right. Lauren on the import MOT in days gone by ...and Paul on you now have to have mph speedo.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

PW@Woodsport wrote:LOL how is it better?

I admit, I don't know how many yards there are in a mile. Also aren't their furlongs or somesuch involved as well. The problem with miles and pretty much all the imperial units of measurement is they're a PITA to break down. Metric is far better for that. So it's better in my head because it's far easier to break down kilometres to their smaller units.

Here's one for you to show how I roll. Don't forget there is a certain amount of familiarity for me as the AE86 only reads in km/h of course. :tongue:

PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Now i really am confused, your main analogue display primarily reads in MPH, only your digital is reading KMH? Why do you need to break down the speed you're doing, surely MPH is MPH and that's it?

Not only are you making it harder for yourself to obey the correct speed limit but even when it comes to working out your miles per gallon, presuming you actually do that? Or do you work out your fuel economy in kilometers per litre?

Sorry Lauren i can't quite understand that thinking, i think you just have a real hatred for the imperial speed system we have in the UK, but that doesn't mean we all should. Some things just work better in imperial, everyone understands MPH and MPG so much easier.
stenky

Post by stenky »

countries that use metric system, and I thought UK adopted metric long time ago, measure fuel economy in litres/100km so its inverted to MPG.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

I work out Kms per litre. Fuel is delivered in litres is it not? The UK converted to metric over 40 years ago. Everything else apart from distance and speed is in metric.

When you drive my car you don't really notice the analogue speedo, the digital read out in the rev counter is what you notice. Sure I can look at the analogue speedo if I want, but I very well know that what all the speeds are in kms, so when you're used to it, it just becomes automatic, it's not exactly hard really.

I really I don't think I have problems working out speed limits, I've not had any points since 2005.

It's only easier for most people to work in MPH and MPG because that is what they are used to, but as I said previously when you try and break miles down it's a PITA. I do everything else in metric, so speed correlates with my sat nav, plus it's a fine scale. When I drove the Yaris for three months, that had a digital speedo which I put in km/h too as I was used to the AE86. All our imports have read in km/h so Mark and I are used to it.
craig

Post by craig »

Lauren wrote: The problem with miles and pretty much all the imperial units of measurement is they're a PITA to break down. Metric is far better for that. So it's better in my head because it's far easier to break down kilometres to their smaller units.

I don't get this "break down" of units. Why is there a need to break down units, such that you insist your speedo must read in kmh. I don't understand the logic at all. The only reason I can see why you have to "break down" the units, is because you see a speed limit and have to break it down into kmh
#-o

Your argument is flawed Lauren.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I work out Kms per litre. Fuel is delivered in litres is it not?

Indeed it is, but every motoring organisation, dealer and person within the motor industry will always use MPG to quote fuel economy.... they do that because it's EASIER for everyone to understand in the UK, because we have always used MPH and MPG.... except you.

As you say, you want to do it that way, but it is only easier for you in your own head and because you want to use KMH, but don't try to advise others it's "better", because it just isn't.

To quote your advice to the OP earlier "Don't change the speedo, keep it in k/mh. It's perfectly legal and it's no issue to know what various speeds are in km/h and mph, you get used to it very easily"

Why should he have to "get used to it" when the system already in place doesn't need any "getting used to" ?

Madness i tell you! :lol:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

xxxx it, i'm going to start using MM per second, who's with me? It'll be way more accurate than MPH or KMH and in MY head it makes sense :clown:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

LOL! It's not exactly hard to get used to though!

Why get yourself upset about it? Honestly go and have a G&T you'll feel better. :+:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Who said i was upset about it? Just can't fathom the logic out, given it's so much easier to use the system we have already, no getting used to required.

Currently enjoying a PINT of Newcastle Brown Ale, very nice it is too, do you drink pints or ask for a Litre of Babysham down the pub? :lol:
craig

Post by craig »

PW@Woodsport wrote:Who said i was upset about it? Just can't fathom the logic out, given it's so much easier to use the system we have already, no getting used to required.

Currently enjoying a PINT of Newcastle Brown Ale, very nice it is too, do you drink pints or ask for a Litre of Babysham down the pub? :lol:

Off to the pub for 568ml of Peroni. Is that easy to break down for you Lauren?

Answer: 1 pint in real money. :mrgreen:

And later, I'm off to search ebay for a meters per second speedo converter :lol:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

LOL Peroni is my second fav drink, also try Palm beer, you need to import that from Holland, i get a case of it every few months, but remember to convert it to pints before it enters the UK :lol:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”