Restoration and Respray (gets pic heavy)

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

munter

Re: Restoration and Respray (gets pic heavy)

Post by munter »

Thanks Beckie - could be useful if I need to source new ones.

Looking forward to seeing your car on the road soon. I'm sure it will be worth the wait!

P
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Looks lovely. When it's all done and finished you should get together with my friend Sam and have a photoshoot of your cars. She's recently had this done to her supra:

What is it that makes girls spray their Toyotas purple? :lol:
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
mk1bexwa

Post by mk1bexwa »

Yeah would love to get some good quality pics of the car when its done.

That supra looks awesome is it a manual turbo?

Purple is an awesome colour especially darker purple as its not too girly :D which is definitely me lol.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Auto twin turbo, UK spec. Along with the respray it had a completely rebuilt engine with hybrid turbos if I remember right.

Edit: Oh yeah, it has a purple engine block too :lol:
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Boddney

Post by Boddney »

Will it be ready for you to bring it to the Norwich Classic Vehicle Club fun day on the 3rd June Beckie?
trunks_mk1

Post by trunks_mk1 »

amazing! how much did it cost you? toying with the idea of doing a complete restore or just buy a new car. My cars actually not that bad but I would love for her to be brand new (or close) again. :)
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

trunks_mk1 wrote:amazing! how much did it cost you? toying with the idea of doing a complete restore or just buy a new car. My cars actually not that bad but I would love for her to be brand new (or close) again. :)

Its not worth spending significant money on a rusty old Mk1

Lots of rust still in there which will emerge again later
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

If you do a proper job and cut it out completely it will last longer. How it's treated and finished determines it's life expectancy.

Rust is always going to come back eventually - bearing in mind that rust is steel's original form anyway.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:If you do a proper job and cut it out completely it will last longer. How it's treated and finished determines it's life expectancy

Yes, we must do the essential restoration & keep the structure solid Alex :thumleft:

I don't think a rusty Mk1 can be made into a new one with a bit of welding & a fancy total respray though :whistle:

Potential outcome doesn't justify the outlay IMO
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

The bloke I met yesterday who bought my engine bought his mk1 from a barn for £250 - all the floors were rotten, the rear arches were destroyed, the front valances rotten through and he's welded and rebuilt it himself -

It looks xxxxxx fantastic as its done properly.

Think you'll get a bit of criticism from that comment.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

elbon50 wrote:
I don't think a rusty Mk1 can be made into a new one with a bit of welding & a fancy total respray though :whistle:

Course it can. The pity is (due to the MK1's value and still being high in numbers) is that very few people restore them. Go look and see how many completely rotten AE86's people restore. Some really are truly impressive and finished to a better than new standard.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

Lauren wrote:
elbon50 wrote:

Course it can. The pity is (due to the MK1's value and still being high in numbers) is that very few people restore them. Go look and see how many completely rotten AE86's people restore. Some really are truly impressive and finished to a better than new standard.

^^ This

In 10 years there will be very few mk1's on the road if we continue the same rate of destruction. Those that have been looked after will be worth more
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Lauren wrote:
elbon50 wrote:

Still rust remaining which will emerge again though :wink:

A rusty old tub can't be made into a new car however hard one may try

Bodywork would need total reconstuction from scratch

They may look good for a few years.....depending

If you want one that lasts in the long term buy a rot free one (from Nipponland) :)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

elbon50 wrote:

If you want one that lasts in the long term buy a rot free one (from Nipponland) :)

There won't be rust if it's done properly. Have you never seen a bareshell restoration before?

Of course a rusty shell can be completely restored. It's just a whole load of work.

Buying from Japan guarantees nothing. The cars are realy old. That is a total misconception. It might have been the case 15 years ago, but not now.
dawesy

Post by dawesy »

there is a company called surface processing, they are in dudley, that for a sum will chemically dip your shell.
this will remove ANYTHING that isnt metal, and will remove ALL rust present.
they then re phosphate dip and then E Coat dip the shell (presumably when you have done any metal repairs) so you will have a shell that is rust free and has a modern anti corrosion coat.
now the cost for this process is £2k worth it? everything has different value to different people. just cos you wont recoup the money spent dosnt mean that it isnt worth it ;)
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Lauren wrote:
elbon50 wrote:

There won't be rust if it's done properly. Have you never seen a bareshell restoration before?

Of course a rusty shell can be completely restored. It's just a whole load of work.

Buying from Japan guarantees nothing. The cars are realy old. That is a total misconception. It might have been the case 15 years ago, but not now.

So point me to someone who has done a bareshell restoration on a Mk1 Lauren
Last edited by elbon50 on Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

elbon50 wrote:

So point me to someone who has done a bare a shell restoration on a Mk1 Lauren

I wasn't talking just about MK1's. As I said people won't do bareshell restorations on MK1's because they have a low value.

My argument was that it is entirely possible to restore a car to better than new condition. Look at how many rusty AE86's have undergone bareshell restorations.

So yes it can be done, this is my point. A MK1 is not radically different from any other rusty Toyota.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Lauren wrote:
elbon50 wrote:

So point me to someone who has done a bare a shell restoration on a Mk1 Lauren

I wasn't talking just about MK1's. As I said people won't do bareshell restorations on MK1's because they have a low value.

My argument was that it is entirely possible to restore a car to better than new condition. Look at how many rusty AE86's have undergone bareshell restorations.

So yes it can be done, this is my point. A MK1 is not radically different from any other rusty Toyota.

I could possibly have expressed my point better but I was talking about Mk1s

A total restoration from bareshell & replacing everything would cost enormously more than the car could ever be worth IMO

Unless it was a rare & exotic car with huge residual value

An attempt to make a car look new with a bit of welding and a fancy re-spray isn't woth the money spent on that IMHO

Some welding & limited amount of spraying from time to time is unavoidable to keep the car on the road of course

Individuals are entitled to do what they want
Last edited by elbon50 on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Okay, fair enough, Peter.

I guess I was looking towards perhaps ten or fifteen years time, when someone may well consider restoring a MK1.

It is unfortunate that MK1 values remain so low, which means that bare shell restorations are less likely.

To be fair for a lot of cars a bare shell restoration is going to cost more than the car will be worth at the end, but I guess if a car is going to be worth say £8-10K at the end it's a much more viable prospect than a car that would be worth say £3K.

Plenty of people do top notch restorations on cars that do not have huge values. I guess some people do it for fun.

I've done what you suggested is absolutely pointless in the last sentence. Done some welding on my car, treated any rust and fully undersealed the car whilst having some parts re-sprayed. It's stopping the rot, but will need to be maintained. I guess though it has a higher value which helps.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Lauren wrote:I've done what you suggested is absolutely pointless in the last sentence. Done some welding on my car, treated any rust and fully undersealed the car whilst having some parts re-sprayed. It's stopping the rot, but will need to be maintained. I guess though it has a higher value which helps.

Welding must be done when needed to keep the car alive Lauren

I have no problem with that :)

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”