Toms kit (now rev2 tubby)

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

philmr2

Re: Toms kit (now rev2 tubby)

Post by philmr2 »

After been messed around on ebay with the sale of my front bumper i came to the conclusion of keeping it and fettling it a little bit, after 2 cuts with the hack saw ive managed to get a realy good fit on the front bumper.

Ime quite impressed with how the bumper has lighned up with the bonnet considering before i cut the bumper it was all over the place.

A little bit of filler and fettling to do on the side but i have test fitted bump strip and all is looking good :D
craig

Post by craig »

Good stuff mate! :clap:
riot68

Post by riot68 »

Good work, need to change over my front bumper, looks a hassle so fingers crossed...
visual anarchy since 1990...

riot68.com
philmr2

Post by philmr2 »

The front bumper hasnt been much hassle, the cut looks worse than it actually is the slit will only be about 3mm wide when ive bolted the sides to the wing.

The best tool ive found for removal is a 10mm ratchet spanner from halfords.

Ime itching for some good weather now to boot the compressor up and get some paint on the bumpers
:D
mattymr2

Post by mattymr2 »

Good progress. Those bumpers made by ibk by any chance???
philmr2

Post by philmr2 »

To be honest i havent got a clue where the bumpers are from, the front one has been in a guys workshop for many years untill i rescued it and have done alot of cutting and shutting to it.

Ive took a picture of how it now fits please excuse thee poor pics as my camera gave up the ghost so used my sons camera phone.

I fitted the rear bumper a couple off weeks ago and took advantage of thev weather we had a week or so ago ang got some paint on it.

A little more work to the front bumper with filler putty then its ready for paint, Carnt wait to get it finished and on the road :D
philmr2

Post by philmr2 »

Rear end pic of the pipes to

craig

Post by craig »

Coming along nicely! :clap:
philmr2

Post by philmr2 »

Made the most of the weather when we had it and managed to get the rest of the painting done on the car :D

Done a bit of flatting and polising and ime now quite chuffed with the finished article.

All thats hopefully left between the car and an mot is 2 front shocks and a pair of number plates, hopefully
craig

Post by craig »

Love it! Car looks fantastic :clap:
philmr2

Post by philmr2 »

Brought some more bits of ebay, i just carnt seem to stop buying things on there. First i brought new old stock a richbrook gear suround for the bargain price of £12.50 :D

Then i thought it would look better with some new gaiters so another ebay spending spree

So i started the job of fitting today and the car went from this.

To this

Ive got the bug now to transform the interior so some new chrome dial surround and shiny bits for the inside are now next on the list.

Just one last pic of the car from above as i liked the picture :D

philmr2

Post by philmr2 »

At long last i now have a working stereo, Toyota dont do things by halves with their wireing, After a lot of searching through the loom and checking the amp i found two faults the main one was a bad earth so sorted that out and put a autoleads convertor on and hey presto music came out of the speakers :D .

The only down side i have is the ariel is capput, so stripped it out to find the track has snapped, So i thought ide put a bee sting on the engine cover, Then problem two arises :(

None working radio yet again, after about an hour of tinkering ive at long last got it working yey, After a strange earthing route the electric ariel uses i now have sounds and a working radio signal :D

I quite like the look now
mr2turbo_rob

Post by mr2turbo_rob »

really like the white wheels on a black car
philmr2

Post by philmr2 »

A little bit more tinkering today with the mr2, After thinking about it for a while i decided to make the rear lights import style, Did the wireing and thought after it looked good but could look better so i got my trusty drill out and drilled the rear triangles out and placed a couple of bulbs in them,Instant transformation to the looks of the car at night :D

Another job done on the to do list
craig

Post by craig »

Nice work mate, keep an eye out for some import rev 3 lights. It'll be all even then, rather than the fog light lenses on the inners :thumleft:
philmr2

Post by philmr2 »

Thats the next parts to get, Just got the awkward part out of the way the wireing :D
philmr2

Post by philmr2 »

The na is almost ready for its mot only one job to do and that is to tidy up the sideskirts not important but i don't want it to look untidy for its mot,

A quick move around on the drive ready for the new toy to arrive, and here it is :D

I have wanted a tubby for a while but one that needed work to keep me occupied, and this one fitted the bill. My main thoughts with it are to keep it standard looking from the outside maybe a nice set off wheels, but you never know what will happen :D
My wife is also happy as she has just took over the toms kitted mr2 :shock:
Just hope she looks after it when its on the road.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

awesome mate, i enjoyed reading that :thumleft: :thumleft:

you'll be looooving the performance from the tubby!!!
synXero

Post by synXero »

I'm just about to tackle fitting TOM's kit to mine. Genuine skirts so they shouldn't be a problem... Fake front bumper could be trouble though!
philmr2

Post by philmr2 »

awesome mate, i enjoyed reading that [thumleft] [thumleft]

you'll be looooving the performance from the tubby!!

Thankyou Iv'e wanted a tubby for a while but i wanted to save one from the grave and this one is ideal, spot on bodywork just a poorly engine, Hopefully just a head rebuild needed and a water pump by what i can see so far :thumleft:

Return to “Member Profiles”