Nurburg Ring

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: Nurburg Ring

Post by Lauren »

Gefunk wrote:Very interested to goto this, i know that Jap uk meets maybe organising something to, idea to go at the same time so there are many different types of jap metal.. Anyone that has been there before what insurance company do you use?

Only thing holding me back at the moment is decent brakes and waiting for cams and a fuel computer to be fitted, i am sure this will be done before anything is organised.

Gav

AFAIK the nordschleiffe is a public toll road, so your regular insurance ought to cover it though, you may need to extend it to cover you in europe and upgrade recovery as well would be a sensible idea.
paul port

Post by paul port »

For Ref....

Sea France are offering 'liberty fares' - basically open return tickets purchased in advance but where you can change your dates before actually travelling.

For outward ferries before 6am, and return after 9pm : 90 quid
For other times: 109 quid

this is a fair saving over regular 5-day / open fares...
But you must book before 12 Jan

I plan to pre-book for Easter and perhaps a couple in the summer.
Best come up with some dates then..

Paul
Ken

Post by Ken »

Try these instead Paul- www.speedferries.com £50 return, unlimited time abroad, price not affected by sailing times and you can change your dates and times for a £10 surcharge :wink:
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Gefunk wrote:Very interested to goto this, i know that Jap uk meets maybe organising something to, idea to go at the same time so there are many different types of jap metal.. Anyone that has been there before what insurance company do you use?

Yep, I've been quite a few times. The Nurburgring is officially a 'One way toll road through scenic German contryside' that just happens to be the Northern Loop of the Original Nurburgring circuit - there was once upon a time a Southern loop, but that has now gone - parts of it are 'normal' road.

Insurance and breakdown cover is interesting - you should be covered under your exisiting policy - but I know that AA 5* recovery have initally refused to recover cars from there, as cover is at their discression.

Only thing holding me back at the moment is decent brakes and waiting for cams and a fuel computer to be fitted, i am sure this will be done before anything is organised.

TBH, the 'Ring isn't that hard on brakes and the engine - most of it is about cornering speeds rather than outright accelleration.

If its your first few times there, you're better off using the slow in, fast out technique to get around the circuit.
Dave Couzens

Post by Dave Couzens »

DoM wrote:Hello Chaps, These new forums are ace - so nice in fact that I might start using them!

Hi Dave, I think we met out there in September.. The trip Clarkson was out there?

Ben - I've managed to digitise a copy of the lap we did where you followed me for half a lap, then I (Attempted!!) to follow you for the other half - I can stick this on a CD for you if you like. The quality is a bit bad, as I only managed to capture it at some silly resolution.

Ben what's the name of the digicam you have? It's a pain using a vcr in the boot!

I'm definately interested in a few trips out there this year, Easter sounds good, as does a Le-Mans-Ring combo :lol: - I would be up for both!

Dom

Yeah that's me - now posted pointlessly in the other thread. In fact - that is me in the Bath shirt. 8) Very nice.
Dave Couzens

Post by Dave Couzens »

Quick question Dom - do you have any photos of me on track? I only managed to find about 3 photos of any of us in the usual sites when I got back, but I remember seeing you at the side fo the track a couple of times.
paul port

Post by paul port »

Ken wrote:Try these instead Paul- www.speedferries.com £50 return, unlimited time abroad, price not affected by sailing times and you can change your dates and times for a £10 surcharge :wink:

Hmm.. Boulogne is another 30 mins in the wrong direction - though this isn't a great issue... I see the use 'SeaCat' boats... Only been on one of those dover-calais once - they really pack the cars on - minimal gaps - wouldn't want to do it again...

Interesting info though

paul
DoM

Post by DoM »

Quick question Dom - do you have any photos of me on track? I only managed to find about 3 photos of any of us in the usual sites when I got back, but I remember seeing you at the side fo the track a couple of times.

I've just checked mine and I can't find any I'm afraid - I'll ask Matt when I speak to him, he took loads, I think most of them were of blank tarmac though!
Dave Couzens

Post by Dave Couzens »

Cool - well if he has some let me know, Chris took a few in car shots, but as Roger laps at warp 10 you can't see anything :D
DoM

Post by DoM »

Thats the best I can do I'm afraid!! :lol: :lol:

I can email you the high res version if you like!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dave Couzens

Post by Dave Couzens »

Hmmmm, well if you email it to me then I can try and tidy it up with photoshop!! Thanks though. Tell Matt to practice some more! :D
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Having checked the nurburgring.org website, apparently there is a video/photo ban at the track. How do people get rounbd this?

I had the plan of sticking a bullet camera in between the fog lights, and one at the back and a 12v vcr in the glove box/boot. Will this be too obvious?
January 2014
..the only thing I can promise for sure is slow progress.

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
Dave Couzens

Post by Dave Couzens »

The ban is correct - but the policing from what I've seen/experienced isn't massively stringent - they don't search you or anything on the way in - as a result if it is hidden you may get away with it.

Bare in mind though, that if they do spot you filming (as there are marshals dotted round the track) they can take away your lap pass/stop you from going back on.

Best to do it at the end of the weekend if you really want to run that risk.

:)
DoM

Post by DoM »

I have a bullet cam tucked behind the sun visor, and then the VCR running off the inverter in the front boot. As long as the wires are hidden, then they won't notice... It's still a bit of a risk though.

Ben had a pretty good set up, with the bullet cam hiding in the grill between the foglights, you wouldn't notice it was there unless you were looking for it.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

DoM wrote:I have a bullet cam tucked behind the sun visor, and then the VCR running off the inverter in the front boot. As long as the wires are hidden, then they won't notice... It's still a bit of a risk though.

Ben had a pretty good set up, with the bullet cam hiding in the grill between the foglights, you wouldn't notice it was there unless you were looking for it.

Yeah - they introduced the ban a few years back because they thought it was enouraging bad behaviour out on the circuit, and also they didn't want footage of accidents in Newspapers or the TV - there were a number of bad stories that were run in the german press that put a lot of pressure on Nurburgring GMBH who run the track.

Personally, having a video camera on or off didn't make any difference to me - I let it run and just concentrated on enjoying the lap.

I 'used to' :wink: have a bulletcam mounted low down in the front bumper - you get a really good impression of the speed by the ground rushing past, and it also gives you a vague impression of what the height changes are like in places on the circuit.

For info about the kit, see this other thread : http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=95

(edit - fixed typo)
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

btw, the ring is back open for business after Winter repairs. For those wanting to get over there soonish,

http://213.239.207.198/nuerburgring.de/ ... 75&month=3 for more details.

They haven't updated the english site yet.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Yep, I'm just working through the details of a potential ring trip at the moment. Its looking like either the 24-26th June or 8-10 July ... more details soon.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Folks,

I've just announced the outline details of the IMOC Nurburgring trip - see :

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4798

Reply there so we've got an idea of who will be coming along ..
cg nz

Ring trips and Ring times

Post by cg nz »

Just to be clear about Ring times - I think Dave is mistaken about times for Roger - the Ring Taxi does a lap with Sabine at the wheel in around 8.15 every lap and I do not think Roger is that quick

We have talked about it and I think it is likely to be over 9.00 - exact time unclear as I believe it is estimated from interrupted video lap

But timing your laps is the quickest way to end up dead!
RogH

Post by RogH »

Chris,

My last timed lap (not by me) was a long time ago, and was in an unhealthy MR2. I since have many more laps under the belt, and a healthy car which IMHO handles better. It's feasible but I really am not that bothered about it.....corners that I was lifting for last year - are now flat.

R

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”