[Mk3] [Turbo] Manual Boost Controller VS Electronic Boost Controller

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Dale_V

Re: [Mk3] [Turbo] Manual Boost Controller VS Electronic Boost Controller

Post by Dale_V »

jimGTS wrote:ebc > mbc any day of the week.

I would agree jim, for full potential that a boost controller gives, EBC wins. But for £20 an mbc will do most people fine and it's probably the cheapest BHP you could ever buy :lol:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Dale_V wrote:
jimGTS wrote:ebc > mbc any day of the week.

I would agree jim, for full potential that a boost controller gives, EBC wins. But for £20 an mbc will do most people fine and it's probably the cheapest BHP you could ever buy :lol:

you can't beat 20 quid ponies!!!
sw20GTS

Post by sw20GTS »

well went out an ordered a GTS chris one since the current one I have seems a bit knackered (the spring is a bit slack).

I will try to get it installed myself but any instructions or tips would be much appreciated!

So far I found this guide from Rogue but I wonder if it applies to what I am doing?

First plan is to wind the MBC all the way to minimum/zero and drive around few days and slow up the boost.
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

pritty easy to fit.

Locate the boost pressure pipe from the turbo that goes to the actuator. Cut this hose in half and the hose from the turbo goes to the in port of the mbc (opposite the screw in bit) and the pipe going to the actuator goes in the other port of the mbc (out port). block the other pipe off thats going to the actuator. Now Unscrew the screw as far out as possible to lower the boost.

You will get a manual with it as well most likely :thumleft:
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

any tips on location???

as ive shortened mine more but still getting pretty big boost spikes with it placed in cabin
sw20GTS

Post by sw20GTS »

Steve-O 2007 wrote:pritty easy to fit.

Locate the boost pressure pipe from the turbo that goes to the actuator. Cut this hose in half and the hose from the turbo goes to the in port of the mbc (opposite the screw in bit) and the pipe going to the actuator goes in the other port of the mbc (out port). block the other pipe off thats going to the actuator. Now Unscrew the screw as far out as possible to lower the boost.

You will get a manual with it as well most likely :thumleft:

Thanks mate! :thumleft:

I think the previous owner had an MBC in there before so should be easy to spot where to plumb it in. I guess I can just use M6 bolts and zip ties to block unwanted hoses?
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

np, you want the hose as short as possible. My Turbo hose is about 12" long and the actuator hose is about 8"

I wouldnt put it in the cabin as thats a huge amount of hose :thumleft:

When I had my MBC fitted I had it around the airfilter area

Dont know about using bolts, I found that when I put pressure down lines that had bolts blocking them off you would still get slight leaks from them (most likely due to the air going around the gap in the thread and out.) I just used tight fitting round metal bar cut to size to block mine off.
sw20GTS

Post by sw20GTS »

Steve-O 2007 wrote:
Dont know about using bolts, I found that when I put pressure down lines that had bolts blocking them off you would still get slight leaks from them (most likely due to the air going around the gap in the thread and out.) I just used tight fitting round metal bar cut to size to block mine off.

Hmm, not sure if I have a metal bar around 6mm in diameter though... :-k

I have loads of tool bits though :lol:
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

put mine in the engine bay today :(

now running constant .8 bar think gonna increase it a little over next few days if it remains stable

Return to “Modifications”