Wheels / Tyres on Mk3

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

wabbitkilla

Re: Wheels / Tyres on Mk3

Post by wabbitkilla »

That just goes to show how little you know ... Smart4two's are mid engined rear wheel drive cars ..... just like the MR2. :clap:
greglebon

Post by greglebon »

Sorry..my mistake..!

Not really paid much attention to them, TBH.....
Thought you were referring to the little cube-shaped things....? :lol:

Aren't they also "ForTwo..?"

EDIT: just looked on Wiki.....mid-engined, sure....

But their COG / dynamics are gonna be FAR different from a Mk3 MR2....

SO still not a good example to choose to prove a point..?

Personally, I'd choose the Mk1 MR2......VERY similar to the MK3.....

....but running same-size wheels / tyres all round.......! #-o
Last edited by greglebon on Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wabbitkilla

Post by wabbitkilla »

Actually after discussing this i found some new versions of the smart...

:lol:
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

greglebon wrote:Personally, I'd choose the Mk1 MR2......VERY similar to the MK3.....

But 20 years in design different, never mind they're also completely different chassis lengths, wheelbases, weights, position of the engine relative to the car etc... They're a similar car only in name.
greglebon

Post by greglebon »

:D

Yeh...so is the lotus Elise / Exige.......? :clap:

Remember the POINT of all this..?

Variables........? :wink:
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Please can you two stop your childish quibbling, it's getting very boring, and I'm aware it's spilled over from other site(s).

I will lock this thread unless new information is posted or different people join the thread.
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

greglebon wrote::D

Yeh...so is the lotus Elise / Exige.......? :clap:

Remember the POINT of all this..?

Variables........? :wink:

Okay, so we're talking about variables again (which is fair enough), but that still rules out any comparison between cars which kinda was your point in the first place ;)

All I'm saying is that if you have no direct experience of running same size tyres on a mk3 (which, by your own admission you don't) then you can run around talking about variable this and weight balance that until you're blue in the face, but it doesn't change what the car actually feels like in the real world. If you're going to try it next year then you'll see exactly what I mean, and I'll be happy to discuss exactly what the results feel like then. I'm telling you though that you'll have an immense loss of grip at the rear of the car, and it's for that reason more than anything we warn against running same size tyres all round. Yes, you can drive round the delicacies of the imbalance if you're careful for 95% of the time, but that one time when something unexpected happens you really want the car to be at it's best. Same principle with mixed tyres front and back.

@Leon: I really don't think either myself or Greg have been 'quibbling', and this hasn't really spilled over from ROC seeing as how Greg posted it here and there simultaneously, and I even replied to it here first before even seeing it on ROC. As it stands, it's quite a healthy debate which I for one am happy to tone down my posts to carry on.
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Yes, please tone down your responses.

I said quibbling because you're picking each other up on very small points, just to get one over the other.

It does seem to be going round in circles somewhat, and maybe you just need to accept each others viewpoints here...
greglebon

Post by greglebon »

Yeh......this IS a good debate.... :D

Shame its the same old few providing input...? :lol:

I suppose over time new posters will pitch in.....? :thumleft:
rogerROC

Post by rogerROC »

greglebon wrote:I suppose over time new posters will pitch in.....? :thumleft:

Pitch in with what? Collaboration of your theories? You have a view, I disagree with it, you have no intention of changing it........end of story as far as I am concerned.
DannyN

Post by DannyN »

greglebon wrote:I suppose over time new posters will pitch in.....? :thumleft:

I'd like to see you add up the two sides A's versus B's where:

A= I've put the same tyres all round, it awesome and the best handling mod I've ever done to my Mk3

and

B= I've put the same tyres all round on my Mk3 and now its stuck in a ditch, please help

I'm going to go out on a limb here and bet you get more B's
(we could just go back and add them up on ROC and SC but that information doesnt seem to be good enough currently)
excalibur1814

Well

Post by excalibur1814 »

I'm not anywhere near an expert on tyres or wheels but I've had all three marks of Mr2.

The Mk1.. No idea at all.
The Mk2 Turbo Rev1, staggered, felt very safe.
The Mk3, with brand new tyres all over didn't feel safe, very light front.. I stopped to check the tyres and realised that they'd fitted the wrong damn one's (all same sizes). I was 'not' imagining it as I thought they were right and only when I 'felt' something odd did I check! I will NOT fit the same tyres all round as it basically felt unsafe, especially after all the years of driving MR2's!!!
The Mk3, with staggered feels rooted and very safe, even in the wet

Toyota fitted the staggered setup for a reason so I'm ok with that BUT I know that experienced drivers could feel the difference and compensate. I'm not an experienced racing driver and would like to stay as close to stock as possible. In all honesty, all new people should hear the suggestion that they should stick with stock.

I was very careful with the Turbo tyres as I didn't want to die and now with the Mk3, less body weight and seemingly thinner doors, I still want to stay safe.

Then again, you do have valid points with regards to new drivers and I suppose the best way to resolve the discussion would be to sample brand new tyres on the same car. I wouldn't necessairly speak to 'engineers' with regards to tyres, but someone like Rogues Patrick who actually 'uses' the tyres.

Either way.. better to supply safety instructions and then let the person make their own choice instead of saying nothing.
excalibur1814

Oh no

Post by excalibur1814 »

Oh.. my.. G..

I want five minutes back as I started to read the other forum and nearly started to cry. Over and over again, on and on, make it stop.

Who cares, let's go outside and smell some flowers, pet the dog, go for a run or watch Robot Chicken Episode 1 that features Transformers!

x

8-[

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”