Mk1 MR2 vs Everything else.....

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

stevecordiner

Re: Mk1 MR2 vs Everything else.....

Post by stevecordiner »

"Nakamichi make exceedingly good quality, understated car audio stuff"

Nak stuff provides fanastic sound quality - although I always found the radios to be a bit crappy compared to the cd quality they produce. Tend to look plain, like Becca stuff - but sound superb. Be aware the headunits that can hold 6 - 10 cds, they have a nasty habit of the cd changer mechanism breaking if jolted too hard.

:)
Small turbos - they're not big and they're not clever!

Just say NO to small turbos!
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

michael wrote:
tonigmr2 wrote:*Head shoots up*

Eh, now that block sounds very tasty and interesting! 8)

T

Buy it quick Jon, if the catcher of MR2 parts gets a whiff she'll be pinching it for the collection ;)

LOL not at all...got one sitting here at 1798cc for the TC! :D
T
michael

Post by michael »

tonigmr2 wrote:
T

Since when has owning something already ever stopped you from buying more of them? ;)
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

michael wrote:
tonigmr2 wrote:
T

Since when has owning something already ever stopped you from buying more of them? ;)

OK touche' :D

T
vashy

Back to Elises and alternate cars...

Post by vashy »

Thanks for the info Lauren. So why are they impractical, I want one!! Pity I don't have 20k... Jon!!

Couple more ideas

Exige

RX-7

spend 20k on travelling round the world for a year...

Of course I know really that no-one can dissuade you and you're dead set on tuning your mk1... go for it!! I'm looking forward to seeing Toni's TC, now I can't wait to see your hard-tuned NA too (:

why a hard tuned NA, sounds a bit mental... or is that the idea? Would it be drivable at low rpm? It would be light though.

Will it really cost 20k??

Have fun building it!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: Back to Elises and alternate cars...

Post by Lauren »

vashy wrote:Thanks for the info Lauren. So why are they impractical, I want one!! Pity I don't have 20k... Jon!!

Couple more ideas

Exige

RX-7

Of course I know really that no-one can dissuade you and you're dead set on tuning your mk1... go for it!! I'm looking forward to seeing Toni's TC, now I can't wait to see your hard-tuned NA too (:

why a hard tuned NA, sounds a bit mental... or is that the idea? Would it be drivable at low rpm? It would be light though.

Have fun building it!

They are only impractical John for the following reasons:

The roof nearly always leaks and is something of a PITA to put on.

They are pretty uncomfortable (though Jonny's had Nitrons on) so suspenders were rock hard.

They are pretty noisy all the time.

the heater was stuck on hot when i was in a heatwave in northern europe!

That said i love them, but you probably wouldn't want to use it as a day to day car as you can a MK1 IYSWIM, unless you are a bit hardcore or don't need a car to commute with.

For 20K you could buy an Elise for 10k and spend the other 10K on a Honda conversion, you will then have one of the quickest things on the road with a power to weight of 350Bhp/ton and an 8.5K rev limit!
jrleech

Post by jrleech »

vashy wrote:Thanks for the info Lauren. So why are they impractical, I want one!! Pity I don't have 20k... Jon!!

Couple more ideas

Exige

RX-7

Have fun building it!

It's starting to look like it's going to cost more :shock:

IMHO, 200bhp is plenty of power for a Mk1, especially when pushing hard on country roads. 200bhp SC or Turbo is too easy, and has been many times. I'm not saying it would be effortless, but in comparison the 200bhp NA engine will have to be driven hard to get the power out.... which is the fun bit. Not forgetting, a ported and polished, quad throttle bodied 4AGE with lightweight flywheel, a custom exhaust and a 9000rpm redline will have an exhaust not to rival the best of them ;)

Now I've found I can get a race built 1750cc or 1800cc stroker shoft block, it might be slightly easier to get that power out, and not have to go so extreme on the cams, therefore retaining some lower rpm drivability... we shall see :P

Cheers,
Jon
vashy

Post by vashy »

Lauren wrote:the heater was stuck on hot when i was in a heatwave in northern europe!

lol! sauna mode 8)

Lauren wrote:That said i love them, but you probably wouldn't want to use it as a day to day car as you can a MK1 IYSWIM, unless you are a bit hardcore or don't need a car to commute with.

I'm a bit hardcore!! :rambo:

Lauren wrote:For 20K you could buy an Elise for 10k and spend the other 10K on a Honda conversion, you will then have one of the quickest things on the road with a power to weight of 350Bhp/ton and an 8.5K rev limit!

nice! one day... (: correct me if I'm wrong, this is the eRise?
vashy

Post by vashy »

jrleech wrote:IMHO, 200bhp is plenty of power for a Mk1, especially when pushing hard on country roads. 200bhp SC or Turbo is too easy, and has been many times. I'm not saying it would be effortless, but in comparison the 200bhp NA engine will have to be driven hard to get the power out.... which is the fun bit. Not forgetting, a ported and polished, quad throttle bodied 4AGE with lightweight flywheel, a custom exhaust and a 9000rpm redline will have an exhaust not to rival the best of them ;)

Now I'm starting to see exactly where you're coming from! or going even! that does sound fun. sorted suspension as well, it'll be quick (:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

vashy wrote:
Lauren wrote:the heater was stuck on hot when i was in a heatwave in northern europe!

lol! sauna mode 8)

Lauren wrote:That said i love them, but you probably wouldn't want to use it as a day to day car as you can a MK1 IYSWIM, unless you are a bit hardcore or don't need a car to commute with.

I'm a bit hardcore!! :rambo:

Lauren wrote:For 20K you could buy an Elise for 10k and spend the other 10K on a Honda conversion, you will then have one of the quickest things on the road with a power to weight of 350Bhp/ton and an 8.5K rev limit!

nice! one day... (: correct me if I'm wrong, this is the eRise?

Yep am talking about the eRise I drove it to Zandvoort, Spa and back last summer.

If you are fairly hardcore you'll love it, but buy a barge as a run around is my advice.
vashy

Post by vashy »

Lauren wrote:If you are fairly hardcore you'll love it, but buy a barge as a run around is my advice.

Thanx Lauren, well I'll start saving up, in the meantime I'm sticking with my '2, it does everything! (:
jrleech

Some more cars...

Post by jrleech »

As part of my on-going test, I've test driven a couple more today:

Audi TT Quatro 180bhp - 6 Speed Coupe
-----------------------------------------------
A nice car, excellent visibility, very capable, turbo lag was minimal. Not very good feedback wise.

Audi TT Quatro 3.2 V6 Roadster Tiptronic
Engine sounds superb, though the car isn't as quick as I'd have expected from the engine size. Really hated the paddle shift/semi-auto box, would be much better with the manual.

Mazda RX8
-------------
Very impressed. By far the best of the bunch that I've driven so far, the steering feel was very good, and the car feels much smaller than it is. Engine is nice :) BIG downside it that the pedals are offset to the right by about 6-8 inches, which makes for an uncomfortable position for your legs (at least it did mine). Not sure why they did that :(

Monday I will be mostly driving the Nissan 350Z and a Scooby doo....

It's quite nice, driving these expensive new cars, then getting back in my Mk1 and going naaaahhhhhh, this is better :twisted:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: Some more cars...

Post by Lauren »

jrleech wrote:As part of my on-going test, I've test driven a couple more today:

Audi TT Quatro 180bhp - 6 Speed Coupe
A nice car, excellent visibility, very capable, turbo lag was minimal. Not very good feedback wise.

Audi TT Quatro 3.2 V6 Roadster Tiptronic
Engine sounds superb, though the car isn't as quick as I'd have expected from the engine size. Really hated the paddle shift/semi-auto box, would be much better with the manual.

Mazda RX8
-------------
Very impressed. By far the best of the bunch that I've driven so far, the steering feel was very good, and the car feels much smaller than it is. Engine is nice :) BIG downside it that the pedals are offset to the right by about 6-8 inches, which makes for an uncomfortable position for your legs (at least it did mine). Not sure why they did that :(

Monday I will be mostly driving the Nissan 350Z and a Scooby doo....

It's quite nice, driving these expensive new cars, then getting back in my Mk1 and going naaaahhhhhh, this is better :twisted:

You actually got in a TT? yeeuuuck!

Seriously though the RX8 is good isn't it? I know what you mean about the pedals, but thats the price you pay for having the engine so far back. In all honesty though you do get used to it pretty quickly. A lot of FR cars are the same, the MX5 isn't much different.

Did you rev it to the limiter (circa 9K) and get the beeps? used to love doing that. They have quite a complex inlet tract system with 3 different length inlet tracts IIRC.

They also have a lovely balance to the handling but you need to turn off the godawful DSC & TC to get to it really.
jrleech

Re: Some more cars...

Post by jrleech »

Lauren wrote:
Did you rev it to the limiter (circa 9K) and get the beeps? used to love doing that. They have quite a complex inlet tract system with 3 different length inlet tracts IIRC.

They also have a lovely balance to the handling but you need to turn off the godawful DSC & TC to get to it really.

Didn't get the beeps, and didn't get the chance to turn the TC off, as the oldish manager from the dealership was with me, and didn't seem to like going too fast. I don't think I would have got away with smashing one up :wink:

Still not as good as a Mk1...

Cheers,
Jon
jrleech

Post by jrleech »

Test drove the last 2 cars on my list today...

Scooby - WRX
-----------------
Deceptively quick, absolutely no power whatsoever if you floor the throttle at 2000rpm, feels like a 300cc engine. Once the turbo spools in at about 2500rpm it wakes up and comes alive. Loads of grip, if it starts sliding you just give it more throttle and it pulls itself round.

Doesn't feel that fast (though it is), and therefore quite a boring drive (unless you're going rediculous speeds, which is pointless... I'd sooner have an involving drive at legal speeds).

Nissan 350Z
--------------
WOW. That is one cool car :afro:

Out of all the cars that I have driven, it knocks the socks off everything else. So much more fun than the RX8, it's actually getting close to the Mk1 in terms of driving feel. The exhaust note is beautiful (if a little quiet for my taste), and the 280bhp 3.5 V6 is very smooth, with loads of torque at all revs.

It stops much better than any of the others, thanks to it's huge Brembo brakes, and it grips like glue.

The interior is rather cool, the 7 speaker Bose stereo is rather impressive, and the exterior of the car is the dogs danglies. The one I test drove was pearlescent orange, all it needed was a carbon bonnet :wink:

Very nice round town too, the gearchange and clutch felt very familiar, and is very smooth. Doesn't half pull some looks 8)

Alas, we got back to the garage, and I handed back the keys. The £25k-£30k price tag is a little obstructive to my having one, though I would really love one of these in my garage.

Drove back home in my Mk1, and realised that the Mk1 is still a more fun car to drive, it turns better, feels better, and is more responsive on the throttle.... so I'm not too upset.

So, in conclusion:
- The Mk1 MR2 is the most fun car available (whilst retaining 'some' practicality)
- The Nissan 350Z is the second most fun car available (sorry, I'd have it over a Mk2 tubby any day :shock:)

In an ideal, lottery winning scenario, I'd have both, but I can't justify two 2 seater cars :cry:

Regards,
Jon
vashy

Post by vashy »

jrleech wrote:Test drove the last 2 cars on my list today...

aww, is that it, I was quite enjoying reading about your test drives!

Interesting about the 350Z, I didn't rate that before now.

...go on, tune it! (:

John
jrleech

Post by jrleech »

vashy wrote:
jrleech wrote:Test drove the last 2 cars on my list today...

aww, is that it, I was quite enjoying reading about your test drives!

Interesting about the 350Z, I didn't rate that before now.

...go on, tune it! (:

John

I can't really test drive anything else... there's nothing else that really fits my requirements. I suppose I could go and test drive a load of cr@p family cars and give them some abuse, but I know that I'm just wasting the salesman's time.

My boss said I can drive his BMW 328 Coupe this week, I'll give that a right royal thrashing round the runway peri-track at work and see how it holds up.... predicted verdict.... sh!te :roll:

Seriously, IMHO, the 350Z is the best car on the market, full stop. If I won the lottery, it will be the first car I buy. If you can, go and blag a test drive and see if you agree. I think they're only importing about 1100, and a further 176 GT4 specials (300bhp, released for Grand Turismo 4), so they should stay 'semi-rare' for a while.

Tuning is beginning on the Mk1... ordered my StyleAuto bodykit today, plus a few more things for renovating parts (grit blast cabinet, parts washer, zinc plating kit etc..). Also contacted a US company to get some custom coloured carpets made up :D

Cheers,
Jon
vashy

Post by vashy »

jrleech wrote:Tuning is beginning on the Mk1... ordered my StyleAuto bodykit today, plus a few more things for renovating parts (grit blast cabinet, parts washer, zinc plating kit etc..). Also contacted a US company to get some custom coloured carpets made up :D

wow, your own grit blasting and zinc plating, this sounds serious (:

Any idea for a colour scheme? It's not going to be yellow is it? (; :p
James_Ward

Post by James_Ward »

If you want something a bit different, instead of tuning the nuts of the engine (and probably being upset when it blows up after 5,000 miles) why don't you get loads of bits made of carbonfibre e.g. wings, bonnet etc? You sound like you've got a bit of money to burn, and removing wieght improves *all* the cars characteristics :)
Jim :)
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Oy Vashy, wot's wrong with yellow? It's class it is! :D

As for CF...*rubs hands* I met a chap only last week who was willing to make MK1 parts in CF, they'll be more on this...!

T

Return to “Driving Experiences”