My MR2 - the dark destroyer

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Century Motorsport

Re: My MR2 - the dark destroyer

Post by Century Motorsport »

Sorry Andy, it was at the request of me to get back onto subject - thanks for the last comment you made in your post :thumleft:

Nathan
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
GTS-ANDY

Post by GTS-ANDY »

Not a problem Nath I understand,

Good luck with the car :clap:

Andy
Century Motorsport

Thanks, much appreciated 8)

Nathan
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
mishadbull

Post by mishadbull »

Nice engine Nathan, I have been looking at doing that very thing. Stroker and liners ya beat me to it! (TBH I ain't gonna get that done for some time yet as I am still a uni student and under a mountain of debt having to fund my own way through uni as a international student. can you say 13,000 a year tuition? :pale: )

Lovely Job!

Mike
Century Motorsport

Found some pics of the engine after the cracked block today.....

And this is the head repair before the skim back down...

some of the lovely port work

and a couple of other pics...

Things are still in process but plans are changing all the time.

The Link G3 XLEM has been purchased and is waiting to be fitted + mapped by Lyndon.

Im curently looking at different turbo options, nothing drastic, just something better suiting.

Time attack could well be on the cards next year so the car will be stripped out + various aero bits done to help things round the race track.

Still got other things being done but im keeping quiet about them at the minute - would rather do more of a report when its all done.

These mods along with the wizards of NOS progressive kit i have should give an interesting result.

Nathan
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Century Motorsport wrote:Found some pics of the engine after the cracked block today.....

Interesting... Compare and contrast:

The above is a rev 2 block - forged build but standard turbo / injectors / boost pressure. Not the first block we've seen crack at this point either.

:-k

Patrick
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

My Block has cracked in the same place #-o
Century Motorsport

Uh oh - i see a patter evolving..

Its a shame the stud is 'outboard' of the block. If it were 'inboard' the head stud hole could have been drilled down deeper into the block giving a better clamping force.

Nathan
Century Motorsport

Well today has been an interesting one.......

Where do i start!

MY plan was to get the major bits done first... so i pulled off the manifold to get altered..

Basically, where the waste gate comes up and is next to the turbo will be cut off and wastegate will now be out of sight underneath the turbo..... reason being because with the wastegate in its old posistion it restricted the angle of the down pipe thus causing a restriction...

as can be seen in the pic here

Now once the manifold has been altered i will be able to have a straight pipe off the turbo onto a silencer then out the side vent = minimum restriction!!!

Then i whipped off the inlet manifold to be drilled + tapped for the nitrous jets to be fitted :)

Once that was done it was onto the exciting bit.... the direct ign!!

A little taster of the coil packs

I pulled all the old gear off....

Before...

Then tryed fitting the new bits.....

It soon became apparent that the new bits werent going to fit :(

After some digging around it appears that i need a new oil pump + sump pan to accomotdate the trigger wheel + sensor....these things are sent to try us!!

I remember the last time i drove the car (japshow finale) i noticed that there were a few knocks and bangs in the engine bay and that the engine seemed to be moving alot - esp when you have a huge bar mounting the engine solidly to the car!!!!! I guessed the mounts had gone due to the lauches but wasnt worried as i have some solid ones to go on... :)

ANYWAY! Whilst the car was up on the ramps i had a mooch around and soon saw that there were some bolts missing from the torque bar and that was allowing the engine to rock......

AS you can see in the pic above, only 1 bolt is in there.... i thought the other 2 had fallen out.... WRONG!!!! Upon closer inspection it appears that the gearbox casing has broken where the bolts go in.... this shows the stresses of the components on the hard launches.....

You can see here where the casing has broken away if you look closely....

Thats all for now...... ill start the interior strip tomo!

Here are some pics of the beast doing what it does best.....

Stay tuned for more updates!!!

Nathan
Tim-B

Post by Tim-B »

my torque brace did the same nathan but at 300bhp, cracked the gearbox casing where yours has but it also snapped the bracket clean at the front and dropped down spearing the road, luckly it was only at 20mph.

Just be careful with it, safety line it atleast to catch it if it does drop!

Tim
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Neeethanull .... what are the multi ignition leads from? i assume they wire straight into your EMS which is then re-programed for multi coil as apposed to Dizzy or DIS ??
Century Motorsport

RyanRs wrote:Neeethanull .... what are the multi ignition leads from? i assume they wire straight into your EMS which is then re-programed for multi coil as apposed to Dizzy or DIS ??

Correct, its direct ign.

Coil on plug, wired straight to the ecu and triggered by the cambelt drive pulley + sensor..... as seen in one of the pics.

So higher spark energy results in the ability to fire denser charge mixtures without the fall off of spark energy at high RPM.

Nathan
Leakie Tbar

Post by Leakie Tbar »

Nathan you could have used a 1998 5SFE bottom crank gear and pick up bolts straight on

are you using a wasted spark system ??
Century Motorsport

Leakie Tbar wrote:Nathan you could have used a 1998 5SFE bottom crank gear and pick up bolts straight on

are you using a wasted spark system ??

Interesting.. the system i have now is off the caldina.

Im aiming on using sequential spark + injection... hence the LINK XLEM over the LEM - i just need to work on the cam sensor..... its not neccesary on my build but think it would be a really good feature of the car.

Nathan
Leakie Tbar

Post by Leakie Tbar »

Caldina ST215 did you get your the full loom inc cam sensor in the rocker cover inlet side,

I have some Ideas in regard to retro fitting a cam sensor on the 3SGTE

If the car is ran on Crank signal only it will spark all 4 coils on TDC at the same time wasted spark
Century Motorsport

No, never got the cam sensor.

I just need to get a reluctor + figure a way of putting a trigger on the cam. I have a couple of options, either use the dizzy wheel or sweat a machined up bit onto the end of the inlet cam.

Nathan
karammander

Post by karammander »

hope this gives you ideas regarding your pick up.

cheers karam
Leakie Tbar

Post by Leakie Tbar »

Thats a TEC3 set up
Century Motorsport

karammander wrote:hope this gives you ideas regarding your pick up.

cheers karam

Nice setup there... hadnt even considered that end of the cam - all food for thought..... many thanks :D

Nathan
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

isnt this type of pickup a little 'Fragile' tho? i mean, a slight knock or bit of dirt = recalibration ?

Return to “Project Cars”