My MR2 - the dark destroyer

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Steve Horrocks

Re: My MR2 - the dark destroyer

Post by Steve Horrocks »

over 500 @ wheels is nothing to be sniffed at Nath!

good work, catch up with ya Sunday!
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
EarL

Post by EarL »

Century Motorsport wrote:Well it was mapped today.

Things went really well. Was done down @ race shack on their mustang dyno.

Ended up with 390 @ wheels @ 27 psi on pump fuel and 502 @ wheels @ 29 psi on C16.

The figures were Much lower than i had expected but the race shack guys said that their dyno reads REAL HP not you lovely dyno jet corrected ones. We figured that with a dyno jet correcion on race gas your looking between 570-600 @ wheels so its good.

The drive home was fun - the car is insane to drive between 4,5 - 8 k and seems so much quicker than the previous setup. Cant wait to get on race gas and run @ TOTB!!

The guys @ race shack are well into their drag racing and have a program that can calculate a 1/4 miles time of a car and mine came out a 9.84 with everything perfect (which it never will be) so they seemed to think mid 10's should be achievable which would be grand!

Thanks to Race shack & Lyndon for the good work :thumleft:

See you on sunday!

Nathan

Excellent Nath. :thumleft:

I'm being honest, I thought you were going to make much more than that at the wheels with that setup. :scratch:

...early days though mate. :wink:

See ya Sunday buddy. :thumleft:

EarL.
Sable Grey 2004 MkIII Roadster

Once an MR2 owner, ALWAYS an MR2 owner!
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

I thought that mate, but i think you will be very suprised when you see the car run.

the dyno setup was pretty strange which may have contributed to the low figure :-k

Its not the figure, its the times it runs - sunday should be a good bench mark.........
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
EarL

Post by EarL »

Century Motorsport wrote:I thought that mate, but i think you will be very suprised when you see the car run.

the dyno setup was pretty strange which may have contributed to the low figure :-k

Its not the figure, its the times it runs - sunday should be a good bench mark.........

Exactly! I've always gone on how the car "feels". 2 cars are never the same.

I've driven cars with more power than mine, but mine definately feels quicker. Always said Nath, the best dyno, is your butt. :wink:

See ya tomorrow buddy,

EarL.
Sable Grey 2004 MkIII Roadster

Once an MR2 owner, ALWAYS an MR2 owner!
Leakie Tbar

Post by Leakie Tbar »

Nath when you used the aftermarket Throttle Body did you just wire up the TPS or did you have to do any other modifications for idle ect

Kev
Century Motorsport

Leakie Tbar wrote:Nath when you used the aftermarket Throttle Body did you just wire up the TPS or did you have to do any other modifications for idle ect

Kev

The Std TPS was retained - along with the air idle. Everything works perfect.

Well i pulled the motor last week. Not a good out come - things all fell into place once the head was removed.......

A destroyed head gasket - as suspected. But upon closer inspection i got a nasty shock, along with the explaination for the water leak - A severly cracked block...... The liners are still fine, its the exterior of the block that has cracked :shock:

Ill get some photo's and post up. The general concensous seems to be the constant heat cycles + load put through it on the dyno. The head is also damaged so will need repair work.

I still aim to run a jap show finale - once the new block is all done its just re assembling it.

Nathan
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Not the first time I've heard of that on a car running high power though Nathan!! Well done on the effort to get to japshow. :clap:

T
Leakie Tbar

Post by Leakie Tbar »

Any Update Nath ??
Century Motorsport

Leakie Tbar wrote:Any Update Nath ??

Sure is.... motor has been all build back up with a later thick walled block and the cylinder head has been welded + skimmed. Coupled with some L19 head studs we should be good to go.

Motor goes back in next week and will be run at jap finale on sunday.

Will you be there? Please come say hi if you are - would be good to meet up :thumleft:

Nathan
Leakie Tbar

Post by Leakie Tbar »

I might come down in my mates supra, my 2 is off the road at the moment waiting for my turbo from the States and my block to be finished

:thumleft: :thumleft:

So sure if I am there I will pop over Cheers
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Nath, What are the 'X' shaped marks on the sleeves? they look like they are cut into the material :?

Also.... (and sorry if you have already answered this in this thread already) But what is that exhaust manifold, and where can i get one!!!!!
Century Motorsport

Ryan,

the X marks are where the block has been bored out to accept the liners.... so the liners werent in place at that stage.

The X marks were actually water ways.... was very interesting to see!!

As for the manifold... its a sard unit.

Regards,

Nathan
Century Motorsport

The Mr2 is off the road once more for more surgery.

I wont say too much but its involving some pretty trick stuff - im pretty sure not many people have done this mod but be sure once its back on the road it will be in the 9's....

More pics + updates will be on their way. for the mean time - here are some pics with the car + TOTB winner trophies

Nathan
michael

Post by michael »

We managed to blag you the Aquamist one then O:)
Century Motorsport

michael wrote:We managed to blag you the Aquamist one then O:)

It was won with pure grit and determination - kinda like days of thunder style :twisted:
Century Motorsport

More mods have been in progress - the new ECU will be ordered mext week which will be a link XLEM G3.

Should be interesting when all done....
3sgte

Post by 3sgte »

What clutch are you running Nathan ? my RPS 450 lb/ft one doesn't like launch control :twisted:
Also does the XLEM G3 run sequential injection ???

Looking forward to the next set of results \:D/ :clap:
Century Motorsport

Hey Marc,

The XLEM does and will be running sequential injection and spark on my car but its going to involve more than meets the eye - you'll find out when its all done!

My clutch is an exeedy twin plate - its taken everything ive thrown at it and more... the only slight down side is the 'double' biting point where i guess you get a slight engagment of the first plate slightly before it grips properly.

I take it the pro spec is all good now? Launch control is good eh..... depending on what turbo you have i'd reccommend staying in L/C for approx 5 seconds to achieve max boost possible - i could get 1.7 on the GT35 with enough beans!

Nathan
3sgte

Post by 3sgte »

Century Motorsport wrote:Hey Marc,

The XLEM does and will be running sequential injection and spark on my car but its going to involve more than meets the eye - you'll find out when its all done!

My clutch is an exeedy twin plate - its taken everything ive thrown at it and more... the only slight down side is the 'double' biting point where i guess you get a slight engagment of the first plate slightly before it grips properly.

I take it the pro spec is all good now? Launch control is good eh..... depending on what turbo you have i'd reccommend staying in L/C for approx 5 seconds to achieve max boost possible - i could get 1.7 on the GT35 with enough beans!

Nathan

Pro spec runs sweet as a nut now ,but have only tried it on short (less than 30 miles) journeys ,going for a run tomorrow over 100 miles so i'll see if it does what it did last time on a long run .Got the old one in the boot as a spare

Launch control is cool ,i only dare hold it for a few seconds sounbds like the turbo is going to explode :twisted: had 1.2 bar out of my 'lil T3/T4 :mrgreen:
GTS-ANDY

Post by GTS-ANDY »

Is it me or are post's being deleted :?:

Return to “Project Cars”