MR2 SW20 RHD Power Steering Quick Steer Pinion.

Forum For IMOC Group Buys

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Marty J

Re: MR2 SW20 RHD Power Steering Quick Steer Pinion.

Post by Marty J »

WIDEMR has made his final payment not including shipping, thanks.
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

-Totenkopf- has paid his remainder, thank you.
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

I received Danthemans' power steering pinion today.

If you have chosen the option to have your power steering pinion to be assembled, please do not send them yet if you still need to use your MR2.

As soon as I have been given the go-ahead I will ask you to send your power steering pinion to me.

If like Dantheman, you are not going to be using your MR2 for a while, I am accepting the pinions for upgrading.Please allow yourself at least one full day for the removal of the power steering rack and the removal of the pinion.
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

I removed my power steering pinion today.

It wasn't too difficult but with it being nineteen years old, it did need some persuading with a hammer and a small block of wood.

I used the guide I posted earlier here.

So here are my tips to help you with the removal of the power steering pinion.

If you are doing this by yourself you will definitely need a vice as some of the nuts and bolts have become stuck after all the years being on the car.

Before removing the power steering rack brackets, loosen the 22mm cap while under the car

I removed the left tie rod end to ease removal from the car.

After removing the two 12mm bolts that hold the valve housing to the rest of the rack, I used a block of wood and a hammer and placed the wood against a lip on the valve housing and hit it with the hammer to release the valve housing.

The pinion may be stuck in the valve housing so grip the housing in a vice and use the block of wood on the end of the pinion and hit it with the hammer. The pinion should come out without too much force.

If you are replacing the seal in the valve housing use a 19mm socket to tap it out.
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

Marty J wrote:
So here are my tips to help you with the removal of the power steering pinion.

Before removing the power steering rack brackets, loosen the 22mm cap while under the car

That there is pretty key. i must have spent a good half hour furiously rounding that 22mm bolt because the rack was sitting on the floor.

Also make sure you undo the fluid lines cabin side of the rack before dropping it down.
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

Irish_dan has paid his remainder, thanks.
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

Marty, Do you know how long it's going to be until these are ready for shipping?

Wingers
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

Wingers, I have paid the deposit for the go ahead of the upgraded pinion. The next step is for the manufacturer to get back to me to let me know that they are ready to start production. I know that they have been busy with other things.

I will give them a phone call next week to see when they can start production.

As I have mentioned to other members, I cannot speed this up as it is up to the manufacturer now.
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

That's typical of small manufacturing companies in my experience. They start off quoting 8-9weeks and here we are 10 weeks later with production not even started. #-o
Just keep the pressure on them I guess, and let us know when production starts. :thumleft:

I was hoping to fit mine while the car was off the road but I'm not sure I'll be in time for that now. No big deal really - I'll just have to fit it at a later date.

Wingers
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

I have seen the same thing on other group buys, but that's just the way it is I'm afraid.

Cheer up, at least I found a company that is willing to manufacture it. :thumleft:
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

UPDATE

I phoned the manufacturer yesterday and today. The guy that I usually deal with was not there, but I am told that he should be contacting me tomorrow.
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

UPDATE

I was talking to the guy who is overseeing the manufacture of the power steering pinion parts. He apologized and told me that they have been extremely busy and it looks like we are going to have to wait another three weeks before the parts go into production.

I know some of you was hoping to install this soon for track use, but there is nothing I can do to speed this up.

I thank you for your patience and understanding. I will post further updates as I get them.

Marty.
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

any news? its been 3 weeks?
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

I sent an email yesterday asking for updates, I'm still waiting for a reply.
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

Have you heard back yet?

Wingers
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

I phoned last Thursday and left a message but no reply. I will phone again tomorrow.
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

UPDATE

OK after a bit of hounding the manufacturer through emails and phone calls I got this reply. I personally think it's good news (some of you may think otherwise) in the fact that they are not entirely neglecting us for their customers that have the big bucks.

Again I must stress that this is out of my hands and like the rest of you be patient. Remember this is a one of a kind and is a very small production run for a large company to produce.

"Hi
Firstly I must apologies for not getting back to you end of last week.
We are up against it here, so much work and not enough hours in the day. We needed to get your job through our drawing office and at last we have done this, the problem was two fold, because of the current heavy work load it was easy to put your job to one side and wait for answers to come in from suppliers regarding the internal bearing. Finally we have the drawings, after much nagging, our works manager has not been best pleased with the delays as he has had machine time booked and has had to move it several times.
We will be cutting metal early next week. We will send you a soft sample of the part so you can approve it before we complete the batch, I would hope to get this away to you by 25th.
As much as we value the work we get from people like your self, it can take some time to get the first batch of the ground as our big customers do have all the clout. Once all the drawings are in place and all the works process sheets are signed of repeat work is easy to load to the workshop and completed in good time.
Once again I am sorry for the delays encountered to-date.
I will be in touch again next week."
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

Did you hear any more from them last week or receive the first sample?

Wingers
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

Nothing yet, I hope they aren't bullshitting me.

Any news and it will be posted here, mr2.ie and mr2australia.com straight away. I'm getting a bit impatient as well.
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

Just keep hassling them every day.
I work for a fairly large company that deals with small manufacturing business’ and even we have to call daily to get things delivered anywhere near on time. If you ring often enough then it eventually becomes easier for them to just do the job than keep making up excuses.

Wingers

Return to “Group Buys - MR2 related”