The 1/4 mile!!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Turbo97

The 1/4 mile!!

Post by Turbo97 »

Guys, took my MR2 rev4 Turbo to the quarter mile for the first time yesterday! Was a dry day, yeh fair enough crails track isnt the smoothest which could lead to a slight loss in times, but nothing drastic.

Basically wanted to know what times i should be running? I had a half tank of petrol, got a departure exhaust, hks filter and blitz dov.

Thats it. My best was a 13.5, but i was averaging between that and 13.8 on all my runs! the only times i dipped into 14's(on 2 of my runs) was when i missed gears #-o

So wanted to know, how is that???

I only got beat once on the day, by the AWD motorsport impreza running 650bhp and 11.4 1/4. apart from that i beat a 300bhp evo and scoob, 330bhp focus rs(twice) a non turbo supra, a new style m3, a toyota glanza, and an integra type r. I was really chuffed...but i would really like to know just how good my times are?

Cheers
Charged
IMOC Committee

Re: The 1/4 mile!!

Post by Charged »

See for yourself fella :thumleft:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/garage.php ... uartermile

What boost are you running?
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
Moo

Post by Moo »

13.5 sounds about right for a rev3+ turbo in standard trim.
Last edited by Moo on Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

you certainly kicked some ass it seems
:thumleft:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Turbo97 wrote:Guys, took my MR2 rev4 Turbo to the quarter mile for the first time yesterday! Was a dry day, yeh fair enough crails track isnt the smoothest which could lead to a slight loss in times, but nothing drastic.

Basically wanted to know what times i should be running? I had a half tank of petrol, got a departure exhaust, hks filter and blitz dov.

Thats it. My best was a 13.5, but i was averaging between that and 13.8 on all my runs! the only times i dipped into 14's(on 2 of my runs) was when i missed gears #-o

So wanted to know, how is that???

I only got beat once on the day, by the AWD motorsport impreza running 650bhp and 11.4 1/4. apart from that i beat a 300bhp evo and scoob, 330bhp focus rs(twice) a non turbo supra, a new style m3, a toyota glanza, and an integra type r. I was really chuffed...but i would really like to know just how good my times are?

Cheers

sounds like you have a good turbo and engine there, pop the boost up and you will notice a huge difference , maybe high 12's with a bit of luck :thumleft:
Turbo97

Post by Turbo97 »

yeh i did notice the 1/4 mile table but i just wanted peoples personal oppinions on how well i'd done....for being relatively inexperienced, i loved it and thought i done pretty well :)

So ok, breaking into 12's :P thats the next target! how easy is this??At the moment i am saving for an uprated intercooler, downpipe, walbro fuel pump and an AVCR then it will be onto the Dyno for fine tuning and upping the boost to around 1.2bar.

Should be in line for decent readings there i would hope.....reckon i could knock a fair chunk of time off with those additions?

Also, i'd love to know how much an mr2 mk2 turbo weighs? Anyone know.

Many thanks for oppinions people! And yeh she seems a good engine, never skipped a beat, engine spooled nicely, early and hard! my mate had a shot and was seriously impressed! still said its got more to it though, was always pushing it thinkin 'come on, there's more in you'.....i need more boost :D
Nails

Post by Nails »

Good times for Crail mate, the people who havent been there its uphill, loose gravel, pot holes and always facing a strong headwind., I always got almost a full second slower at crail than at elvington in my other N/A front wheel cars which always suffered majoredly with traction there off the line.
mr2toby

Post by mr2toby »

Good times ! What was your terminal mph ?
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Turbo97 wrote:
So ok, breaking into 12's :P thats the next target! how easy is this??At the moment i am saving for an uprated intercooler, downpipe, walbro fuel pump and an AVCR then it will be onto the Dyno for fine tuning and upping the boost to around 1.2bar.

If you want to carry on doing 1/4's you'll need to put an uprated clutch in with that lot, that standard one is fine for day to day driving but it won't survive too many hard launches.
Turbo97

Post by Turbo97 »

Thats a good point mate....whats the reccomended uprated clutch.

I have to bear in mind that it certainly isnt too often i get to crail due to me working offshore :( so i wont be wanting anything TOO heavy duty! The car is a daily driver and the clutch is heavy enough as it is!!! :shock:

On my best run, i had a reaction time of 0.365, a 60 foot of 2.133, Terminal speed of 104.7mph and my time was 13.561.

Really happy with how she is running, extremely smooth and never missed a beat :)
pete wants an mr2 turbo

Post by pete wants an mr2 turbo »

1/4 mile is fantastic i have been doing it for about 5 years, in my cosworths i managed a 12.2 @120 running a genuine 450 bhp, what can be expected from a good mr2 with wide back tyres running 450 bhp? 11's?
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

pete wants an mr2 turbo wrote:1/4 mile is fantastic i have been doing it for about 5 years, in my cosworths i managed a 12.2 @120 running a genuine 450 bhp, what can be expected from a good mr2 with wide back tyres running 450 bhp? 11's?

thought a cossie would have been quicker than that, my mates old pulsar did a 11.7 with 400 bhp, guess it's the way the cars put the power down, :-k
pete wants an mr2 turbo

Post by pete wants an mr2 turbo »

4x4's weigh a good 1400 kg mate, very heavy cars and they have quite long gears, my 430 bhp rear wheel drive coosie did a 13 dead @121 as it span through first and second, hence me trying a mr2 out, rear wheel drive with the weight over the rear wheels :wink:

That pulsar was doing well, trhey have a short shift box i can imagine them flying off the line.
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Turbo97 wrote:Thats a good point mate....whats the reccomended uprated clutch.

There's no real answer to that lol.

Personally, having owned 2 GT4 Celicas that had paddle clutches, they're a royal pain in the ar$e for day to day driving. As and when I replace the clutch on the '2 I'll go for a full face organic one. It "should" be just as drivable as a stock clutch with the advantage of being able to handle more torque (which is the measure of a clutch's ability, not BHP)
Turbo97

Post by Turbo97 »

Nice one bud! cheers for that! :D

So with regards to an mr2....how easy is it to get into the 12's?

Good tyres, and what sort of power we speaking. Obviously alot down to the driver, but i reckon i am gettin decent launches :lol:

300-330bhp squeeze into 12's you reckon?
Mikey P MR2

Post by Mikey P MR2 »

13.5 sounds quite good, for a stock car at standard boost.
Fit a boost controller (manual one for about £20 would be fine) and set boost at 1.2 bar, this will get you into the high 12s with no further mods.

Stock clutch will be fine for upto 300 fly bhp, and an mr2 turbo weighs about 1250kg to 1300kg depending on mods specs etc, you will always have a good advantage over 4wd stuff due to their transmission power losses.
Turbo97

Post by Turbo97 »

Cheers bud.

Well the plan over the next month is for the berk downpipe and intercooler and then up the boost to 1.2 bar....take it from there....hopefully be into the 12s.

I'll ruin the clutch until it starts slipping...then change her out :)

I dont get all this 4wd nonsense....i was getting equally, if not better launches than the 4wd boys.

There was acouple of scoobs running easy 11's....serious stuff that! :O
Mikey P MR2

Post by Mikey P MR2 »

4wd is better on a wet road but it will always be slower on a perfectly dry road. Regarding your launches, your 0 to 60fts are not bad but you should be able to get below 2 secs which will help your times a lot too. With your planned modifications I should think 12.9 or 12.8 would be very do able maybe faster with drag tires etc.
BarronMR

Post by BarronMR »

Turbo97 wrote:
I dont get all this 4wd nonsense....i was getting equally, if not better launches than the 4wd boys.

Its pretty straight forward, the mr2 power for power can launch as good as a 4wd if not better. This is because the engine (weight) is in the back closer to the rear axle where the power is being transferred to the road.

Where the mr2 is better is because the 4wd systems sap more power from the engine on its journey to the tarmac. So a 300 fwhp mr2 is going to have more power at the wheels than a 300 fwhp 4wd car. And thus be faster when moving, all else being equal.
Turbo97

Post by Turbo97 »

yeh agreed with you there.....the mr2 is utter horse in the wet for getting going!!!

Cheers for that guys...fingers crossed i can sneak into the 12's and i'll be happy with that...least i'll be playing with most of the big boys!!

Yeh my aim is defo to get my 0-60 in under 2 secs....i'v heard getting that right is the 1st key to a good run!!

Better get out the credit card..... \:D/

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”