What's quicker, V6 mr2 or rev1 turbo??

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dawolf

Re: What's quicker, V6 mr2 or rev1 turbo??

Post by dawolf »

Stock for stock, I reckon the turbo would win by a couple of car lengths in a straight line race up to 100mph but on a twisty track I think the V6 may be easier to keep in the power band so it would be a close run thing.
thebody

Post by thebody »

BarronMR wrote:
And most stuff on the road is from rolling, this is where the v6 is useful because it produces good power all over the rev range from 2500rpm and there's no lag.

So the fact my turbo is spooling up at 2500rpm get the turbo in the right gear and theres no contest
Look at Jinja spent all that money and its still slower then a slightly modified turbo.
Time you all stopped believing the hype V6's are Slower and always will be
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

thebody wrote:
BarronMR wrote:
And most stuff on the road is from rolling, this is where the v6 is useful because it produces good power all over the rev range from 2500rpm and there's no lag.

So the fact my turbo is spooling up at 2500rpm get the turbo in the right gear and theres no contest
Look at Jinja spent all that money and its still slower then a slightly modified turbo.
Time you all stopped believing the hype V6's are Slower and always will be

except for the 2GR-FE that Gouky put into his mk2. 270whp and 250ft-lb <- that torque is over 225 from 3krpm so it's got serious pull and I think well into rev3 power. Just exhaust and filter change to make it fit the mk2.

At the other end of the scale the twin turbo 1MZ tristian in Oz has done, 530whp with controllable torque. He does auto-x in it and says it's far better than the GT35R GTE he was running previous.

jinja's had some seriuos tuning issues that are well documented elsewhere. If you modified a turbo with the same map, yup it'd be pish too.

Seems like every time this thread comes up it's the tubby owners that get on the high horse when they should be dropping a gear and hitting the darned boost.

Darn, it's early and I'm sober. how the feck did that happen #-o
thebody

Post by thebody »

^^^^^ :clap:
Theres still faster 3sgte's out there :D
antnkel

Post by antnkel »

thebody wrote:^^^^^ :clap:
Theres still faster 3sgte's out there :D

Yeh and there's faster v6's coming, these engines are relatively new compared to the 3sgte ( in 2's I mean ).
It's just a matter of time. 8)
Mikey P MR2

Post by Mikey P MR2 »

At the moment v6’s using the current camary engines are no where compared to even stock turbos. “On the road” the turbo still has more horsepower and torque everywhere in the rev range from 2500rpm upwards (no one cares about performance below this as it’s never used unless you are in the wrong gear).
I am sure if your happy to spend thousands buying much latter better models of v6 engines (form the lexus for example) you could reach a similar level of performance to a turbo, but given a rev3 turbo complete with all the bolts mods for 300fly bhp can now be bought for about £2k why bother.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Mikey P MR2 wrote: but given a rev3 turbo complete with all the bolts mods for 300fly bhp can now be bought for about £2k why bother.

Not everyone wants turbo power.. I think that is the answer you are looking for. You seem very anti V6.. I'm not sure why :? It's different strokes for different folks at the end of the day.. personally I'd take the 3SGTE every time but the V6 does tick a lot of boxes for me as well.
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I have so much i could add and contribute to this thread based on real world experience but im going to abstain because my opinion is automatically taken as blinkered sales pitch....so in the words of duncan banatyne "I'm out!" =;

:D
antnkel

Post by antnkel »

Mikey P MR2 wrote:At the moment v6’s using the current camary engines are no where compared to even stock turbos. “On the road” the turbo still has more horsepower and torque everywhere in the rev range from 2500rpm upwards (no one cares about performance below this as it’s never used unless you are in the wrong gear).
I am sure if your happy to spend thousands buying much latter better models of v6 engines (form the lexus for example) you could reach a similar level of performance to a turbo, but given a rev3 turbo complete with all the bolts mods for 300fly bhp can now be bought for about £2k why bother.

Can't agree with you more, I got a rev3 tubby 288bhp- it lasted 4 weeks ](*,)
Very reliable car. :roll:
It is now anyway :wink:
steve b

Post by steve b »

I think it speaks volumes that many V6 owners WERE tubby owners :)
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

Ollie@SkyInsurance wrote:
Mikey P MR2 wrote: but given a rev3 turbo complete with all the bolts mods for 300fly bhp can now be bought for about £2k why bother.

Not everyone wants turbo power.. I think that is the answer you are looking for. You seem very anti V6.. I'm not sure why :? It's different strokes for different folks at the end of the day.. personally I'd take the 3SGTE every time but the V6 does tick a lot of boxes for me as well.

He's just giving his opinion - how is that being anti V6, lol.

It would be good if someone could post their stock V6 converted MR2 dyno plots though as I'm interested to see the differences :thumleft:
antnkel

Post by antnkel »

Kongaroo wrote:
Ollie@SkyInsurance wrote:

He's just giving his opinion - how is that being anti V6, lol.

It would be good if someone could post their stock V6 converted MR2 dyno plots though as I'm interested to see the differences :thumleft:

I've got one of mine, I'll post it up later when I have time.
Will also post up when it's been supercharged ( in a couple of months ) O:)
blue2

Post by blue2 »

If you go over to twobrutal.com Im sure there are a few dyno results on there of stock v6's. Many people opt for mods tho as they are far easier and cheaper to do when the conversion is being done, rather than doing later. Is this thread about stock v6 vs stock rev1 turbo? as I think that was the original debate on the previous hijacked thread :lol:
I argued on the other thread that a stock rev1 turbo is not faster than a stock v6, of course a modded turbo will defo be faster than a stock v6. If this debate is about modded turbos then its a waste of time lol! :lol:
BarronMR

Post by BarronMR »

thebody wrote:

Spooling not spooled, I'd guess until your turbo's fully spooled the v6 is quicker. As for the gear thats my point, unless your racing around all the time then your not likely to be in the right gear and by the time you've changed down and spooled from being on an off throttle position to an on throttle position you've lost plenty of ground.
BarronMR

Post by BarronMR »

Mikey P MR2 wrote: rev3 turbo complete with all the bolts mods for 300fly bhp can now be bought for about £2k why bother.

More like 2.5K+, haven't seen anything but standard rev3's for 2k. If it was 2k, i'd be slightly suspicious.

I've just bought a supercharged mk1 v6 for rev3 with bolt on's money...
ChrisT

Post by ChrisT »

V6 conversion seems like a great idea if you already have a NA that you are particularly attached to and want to make it that bit quicker.

But other than that Toyota already made a quick MR2 and if the 3S-GTE is the engine they picked, rather than putting a V6 in it, they probably knew what they were doing.
BarronMR

Post by BarronMR »

ChrisT wrote:But other than that Toyota already made a quick MR2 and if the 3S-GTE is the engine they picked, rather than putting a V6 in it, they probably knew what they were doing.

The manufacturer knows best, you could say the same about any modifying and you don't see many standard tubby's. :clown:
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

blue2 wrote:If you go over to twobrutal.com Im sure there are a few dyno results on there of stock v6's. Many people opt for mods tho as they are far easier and cheaper to do when the conversion is being done, rather than doing later. Is this thread about stock v6 vs stock rev1 turbo? as I think that was the original debate on the previous hijacked thread :lol:
I argued on the other thread that a stock rev1 turbo is not faster than a stock v6, of course a modded turbo will defo be faster than a stock v6. If this debate is about modded turbos then its a waste of time lol! :lol:

I think there are already plenty of other threads where every single argument for and against has already been played out :lol:

It's just a request for dyno sheets, lol. I've never browsed the twobrutal website - I remember trying to do so about 3 years ago and not being able to browse it for some reason so never went back to it.

By stock I mean the dyno sheet for a typical V6 conversion if such a thing exists. Feel free to show us any 'modified' ones too though :D
RST

Post by RST »

Is there any reason why twobrutal remains a members only forum? -Everything's marked "private"?

.......this debate seems to come up so often. I guess the only way to tell would be to persuade someone like Stig to drive both cars up a strip and a track and report on the differences -allowing for other mods on the car like tyres and suspension etc etc.

Is it not possible to put this to bed and put a few cars up against each other on a track -hire someone like an instructor (e.g. independent) to take the cars out individually? Otherwise this debate is going to go on forever -and like Ollie says not everyone wants the same thing from their car so there's no right or wrong unless there's unsibstantiated claims made?

If you're comparing dyno sheets -I think it's academic as well unless everyone uses the same dyno under the same conditions as they all give different results for sure. Perhaps a reason to organise a shootout day at one place? Otherwise dynoing is what it is -but there's surely a difference to be discussed.

I do think though that if the V6 has anything different from when it was in the donor car then that definately counts as a mod when comparing -that includes air filters, gearboxes and ECU modifications. Likewise the comparison should be with similar modded tubby's in my eyes.

.....otherwise it it really that important? I'm not arguing either way just saying if it's a debating point then why not try and get together and do a full and open comparison.
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

I do understand what you are getting at with the dynos but to be fair the variations between different dyno brands is pretty well documented and has even been measured before (evidence is all over the internet). Eg. Dynojet generally reads x% higher than say a Mustang dyno and so on.

The dyno sheets are still pretty good indicators of how a car will perform so long as we can see the power and torque at the wheels and at what RPM it occurs.

But yeah an IMOC day out with the Stig would be pretty cool and I do agree that too much fuss is made over having to compare stock to stock :lol:
Last edited by Kongaroo on Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”