Rocker Cover Colour variations

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mav122

Re: Rocker Cover Colour variations

Post by Mav122 »

Thought I better make some input on how a mk1 bay should look. Some other very good ones on this thread mind. pain to keep polished though. good job i'm a valeter :mrgreen:.
boyzdad

Post by boyzdad »

Here are mine........

This is the process I used.

1:Stripped them with Nitromors.
2:Ultrasonically cleaned them (I have an old 25 Litre US cleaner, swapped for some work I did)
3:Polished the letters and then masked them with ordinary decorators masking tape.
4:Applied 2 coats of etch primer
5:Applied 2 coars of "Auto spray" gloss black from the £shop
6:Removed the masking tape
7:Applied 2 coats of clear spray lacquer, car stuff from a paint suppliers

I also cleaned the filler cap, then picked out the "Toyota" text with silver paint (sprayed into the cap and then applied with a cotton bud) then 2 coats of lacquer (not on the underside). I have got a +10hp cap somewhere, but thought the original looked nicer, I will have to live with the power loss! ;)

I have done about 700 miles with them now, as yet the paint/lacquer is holding up with no marks.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

boyzdad wrote:Here are mine........

This is the process I used.

1:Stripped them with Nitromors.
2:Ultrasonically cleaned them (I have an old 25 Litre US cleaner, swapped for some work I did)
3:Polished the letters and then masked them with ordinary decorators masking tape.
4:Applied 2 coats of etch primer
5:Applied 2 coars of "Auto spray" gloss black from the £shop
6:Removed the masking tape
7:Applied 2 coats of clear spray lacquer, car stuff from a paint suppliers

I also cleaned the filler cap, then picked out the "Toyota" text with silver paint (sprayed into the cap and then applied with a cotton bud) then 2 coats of lacquer (not on the underside). I have got a +10hp cap somewhere, but thought the original looked nicer, I will have to live with the power loss! ;)

I have done about 700 miles with them now, as yet the paint/lacquer is holding up with no marks.

That's the look I've gone with on mine except I had the covers powder coated (and then polished the letters). I'm in the middle of trying to make an inlet manifold cover to match :? I'm getting a mate make me a T-VIS badge on his milling machine which I'll then fasten to a sheet of metal that will sit over the inlet manifold (similar to the ones on ebay from Kelsport). I'm then planning on getting the whole thing powder coated and polishing the T-VIS lettering to match the cam covers which I'm hoping will look really nice. Well that's the plan anyway!
Kieran Williams

Post by Kieran Williams »

Heres some of mine for those that are interested,
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

can someone make my images work please
MartG

Post by MartG »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:can someone make my images work please

You need to paste the link from the right side of the page "IMG Code"

jimi

Post by jimi »

The silver on the cam covers is Hammerite Chrome radiator paint and the Red and Black on the lettering is Humbrol Enamel.

Tiger Tim

Post by Tiger Tim »

MK1 Power,

How did you polish them. They look fantastic.

Well done,

Tim
MK1 Power

Post by MK1 Power »

Tiger Tim wrote:MK1 Power,

How did you polish them. They look fantastic.

Well done,

Tim

Cheers!

It was just various grades of abrasive paper from 80 - 2500 grit, a dremel, various sized sanding blocks, a drill + a polishing kit off eBay to finish it, some paint, masking tape, and of course, a lot of hard work! :lol:

There's a good article in the knowledge base about polishing aluminium. It helped me to get started. :thumleft:

I used the dremel with a sanding drum to quickly flat the surface. You do have to be very careful not to take too much off in areas though.
Then I used the abrasive paper. The dry sanding is the hardest and longest part, once you get to 600grit, it speeds up a bit. :thumleft:

I tried sanding in between the letters, but I realised is wasn't gonna look very good. Then I came up with the idea of painting them. :)

Once I'd finished sanding, I polished it up with the drill and polishing kit.
I then masked it up around the lettering, gave it a quick key, and then sprayed.
Then after the paint had hardened (I wasn't sure how long this would be, so I left it for a full week) I then masked up the cover again (so as not to scratch the polished metal or paint with the abrasive paper) and carefully sanded the lettering with 320grit and a block. :thumleft:

It's also a good idea to mask the inside/underneath of the cam cover well to stop metal shavings/dust getting in to it.

Will.
jrleech

Post by jrleech »

MK1 Power wrote:

Thought this pic needed another re-posting :D

That really is a superb job, looks very neat and classy. The contrast of the mirror polish and black is spot on. It's good how you masked the corners round and not to a sharp corner.

Good tips in your last post as well. :thumleft:
MK1 Power

Post by MK1 Power »

jrleech wrote:
MK1 Power wrote:
Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3199/306 ... 0184dd.jpg

Thought this pic needed another re-posting :D

That really is a superb job, looks very neat and classy. The contrast of the mirror polish and black is spot on. It's good how you masked the corners round and not to a sharp corner.

Good tips in your last post as well. :thumleft:

Thanks! :mrgreen:

Yep, I'm very pleased with how it came out. It was just a thought in my head to paint it like that, I had no idea if it would look any good.
For the corners, I used pieces of masking tape, and cut them in to corners with a template. :)

I'm close to finishing the second one, it should be ready to paint in a few days time. I'm going to paint it a shade of blue, to keep a bit of the old, "blue top" look to it. :thumleft:

Will post up some decent pics once they're a finished pair. :D
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

what are the original supercharger cover colours?
MartG

Post by MartG »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:what are the original supercharger cover colours?

MR2 spec bigport engines were like this.... Note that whereas NA cam covers have raised lettering, SC ones have inset lettering.

Later ones ( e.g. AE101 Levin ) were just plain aluminium
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I know they have inset lettering as i have a pair under my radiator drying the silver paint :)

Cheers
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

Kieran Williams wrote:Heres some of mine for those that are interested,

:thumleft: and LOL - you've polished so hard the letters have come off :oldtongue:
halflife

Post by halflife »

had mine powder coated in gold
Kieran Williams

Post by Kieran Williams »

Took me ages to grind the letters off :lol: , just thought it would look different to the norm....polishing is a pain though :roll:
KD88

Post by KD88 »

These are some I did for my daughters car. I'm currently refurbishing her original pair a different colour which I will post shortly

Image[/img][/code]
010on1986

Post by 010on1986 »

1st try

2nd try

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”