[Mk2] [Turbo] To sleeve or not to sleeve?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dellams

[Mk2] [Turbo] To sleeve or not to sleeve?

Post by dellams »

That is the question!

I have 87mm ross pistons in my rev3 block so it has been bored out slightly. I was originally under the impression it had been sleeved when I purchased the car but have found out it was not.

If money was not object I would get it sleeved to be safe but at the moment I have a very tight budget due to the amount already spent on the car so if I can get away with not sleeving that would be good.

Been quoted about 2.2k to sleeve it, sound about right?

I heard somewhere, maybe 3S? That you can get already built forged engines but cant remember how much?

Cheers.
dellams

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] To sleeve or not to sleeve?

Post by dellams »

Also, what about the fueling, does that really need to be done now too? Maybe safer just to map as it is on slightly less power, then also less chance of block cracking.

Then later sleeve, uprate fuel, etc and go all the way when the money is there! :)

Cheers.
JJ

Post by JJ »

How much ??????????????!! :shock: Thats too much !!

I had a block bored and a sleeved fitted to one of the cylinders ( damaged ) assembled the entire bottom end for around £400 ! Look up Dave Rushton http://www.daverushton.co.uk/

Tight budget...run lower boost.. should be fine... I've got a spare Gen 3 block i'm tempted to get sleeved ! But undecided weather I get it sleeved with a different crank in it ( 2.2 ! ) :-k
Ed

Post by Ed »

JJ

I've got a 2.2 CRW stroker kit which will be going up for sale soon if interested. Never been used.

It's 86.5mm CP pistons, maintains the standard rod ratio and can be supplied with Eagle Rods as well.

Ed
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Frustrated Pilot

Post by Frustrated Pilot »

SBITS make Sleeved blocks.. (Completely sleeved) I would contact Pete..
dellams

Post by dellams »

JJ wrote:How much ??????????????!! :shock: Thats too much !!

I had a block bored and a sleeved fitted to one of the cylinders ( damaged ) assembled the entire bottom end for around £400 ! Look up Dave Rushton http://www.daverushton.co.uk/

Tight budget...run lower boost.. should be fine... I've got a spare Gen 3 block i'm tempted to get sleeved ! But undecided weather I get it sleeved with a different crank in it ( 2.2 ! ) :-k

How much you think to have each cylinder sleeved?
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

dellams wrote:Been quoted about 2.2k to sleeve it, sound about right?

Sounds a smidge on the high side!

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=59110

Best regards,

Patrick Mortell
Rogue Motorsport Ltd
01676 530222
dellams

Post by dellams »

Ed wrote:JJ

I've got a 2.2 CRW stroker kit which will be going up for sale soon if interested. Never been used.

It's 86.5mm CP pistons, maintains the standard rod ratio and can be supplied with Eagle Rods as well.

Ed

How much is that? Any idea how much to fit? And how much more power it would add?

Cheers.
Ed

Post by Ed »

Sent you a PM.
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.
JJ

Post by JJ »

Ed

Ed.. nice to see you're still lurking around !! :thumleft: Thanks for the offer.... credit crunch though, need to keep the reigns tight on the wish list....I'll be modifying my 1/8th Nitro powered monster truck at most !! :mrgreen:
JJ

Post by JJ »

dellams wrote:How much you think to have each cylinder sleeved?

Contact the chaps... homegrown business !! I had them do the core machine and assembly work for a customers car I had in... 2 years on, still pulling like a train ! :thumleft:
3S Service Centre

Post by 3S Service Centre »

:roll: I would image the price was not simply to sleeve the block, im sure the price included the engine removal/machining/sleeves/rebuild ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
call James on 01256 883386 or 07786073755
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

We have our sleeves in our block and its running 900+ hp without issue so far!

Nathan
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
JJ

Post by JJ »

Century Motorsport wrote:We have our sleeves in our block and its running 900+ hp without issue so far!

Nathan

Being a bad influence again Nathan ??! I'm a humble MR2 owner that likes to improve things... sort of a gradual evolution identifying limitations - ( block being my main issue at the moment ) You've blown that perspective right out of the water !! #-o :thumleft:

Guess I best start budgeting !! :pale:
dellams

Post by dellams »

3S Service Centre wrote::roll: I would image the price was not simply to sleeve the block, im sure the price included the engine removal/machining/sleeves/rebuild ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Sorry mate, I didnt mean to mis-represent you, in fact like I said I hadnt even mentioned who gave me the quote. All I am doing is trying to work out my options due to the tight budget I now have after already being let down numerous times with this car! :(

The main thing I was asking was whether it would be safe or not to run those 87mm pistons without sleeving since I just cant afford to get it sleeved when I had already paid good cash on the understanding it had already been done. :(

Cheers.
Ed

Post by Ed »

JJ wrote:

Ed

Ed.. nice to see you're still lurking around !! :thumleft: Thanks for the offer.... credit crunch though, need to keep the reigns tight on the wish list....I'll be modifying my 1/8th Nitro powered monster truck at most !! :mrgreen:

Hi JJ,

Yup still lurking around. I've been collecting bits forever but have got a bit fed up of recent and am thinking of selling up.

Might well be buying an RX7 with a view of putting an LS1 engine in it. :D

3S Service Centre

Post by 3S Service Centre »

dellams wrote:
3S Service Centre wrote::roll: I would image the price was not simply to sleeve the block, im sure the price included the engine removal/machining/sleeves/rebuild ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Sorry mate, I didnt mean to mis-represent you, in fact like I said I hadnt even mentioned who gave me the quote. All I am doing is trying to work out my options due to the tight budget I now have after already being let down numerous times with this car! :(

The main thing I was asking was whether it would be safe or not to run those 87mm pistons without sleeving since I just cant afford to get it sleeved when I had already paid good cash on the understanding it had already been done. :(

Cheers.

You have answered the question yourself, you dont have the money to sleeve and rebuild, the other half of your question I answered for you, It is risky making big power in a 87mm bored rev3 engine, now its unknown and you take the risks or you dont.
James
call James on 01256 883386 or 07786073755
JJ

Post by JJ »

Ed wrote:Hi JJ,

Yup still lurking around. I've been collecting bits forever but have got a bit fed up of recent and am thinking of selling up.

Might well be buying an RX7 with a view of putting an LS1 engine in it. :D

Ed, they're a hoot to drive... Friend has one.. he's just pulled it apart, changing the heads / cam to screw more power out of it... Not really a revver.. but the torque is brilliant... Reminds me of the TVR Cerbera I had for responce but the sound.... absolutely fantastic... I was tempted to junk the SR20DET engine out of my 200sx and do a transplant... but if you're going to do that much work, make sure the cars a bit of a looker.. which I'm afraid the rear isn't ! :cyclops:

Holden commodore + Supercharger ! :thumleft:
Ed

Post by Ed »

Unlike having to wait forever for Tom G on the US board to finish the widebody kit there are tons of excellent ones available for the RX7.

If I do buy one then it will have the Kazama wide body kit installed on it, unless I win the lottery in which case I'd fit the Veilside Fortune body kit. :D

Oh more like a twin turbo LS1 if the turbos and chargecooler can be squeezed in. :D:D:D:D

RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Dont bother with the sleeves mate. just do what you wana do, and if it cracks, then sleeve it.

Friend of mine on here made 420 RWHP on a gen2 ,3076r with 87.5mm pistons :shock: -Crazy thin walls but it never failed. it was due to be further tuned as there was zero ignition advance on that at the time, but the oil relief valve fell apart due to a dodgy circlip and killed the bottom end ](*,)

87mm is on the thin side, but i say, if it aint broke, dont fix it!

Return to “Modifications”