Rear brake calipers / Handbrake (mk2)

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jim-mapps

Rear brake calipers / Handbrake (mk2)

Post by jim-mapps »

Morning!!!!

Who knows about the calipers and handbrake levers?

I followed the guide posted by paul woods on handbrake adjustment which worked very well... The handbrake now woirks very well, only problem is it doesn't release on one side. The cables are free enough, I know this because I can free them by pulling the lever on the back of the caliper easily with 2 fingers. There's a spring connected to the lever from the caliper body which I assume is supposed to pull the lever back when the handbrake is released??? Nothing looks wrong with thisa spring but still it's not doing it's job.

Anyone know if it's easy enough to replace said spring or is it a new rear caliper?

Ta :thumleft:
Deegee99

Re: Rear brake calipers / Handbrake (mk2)

Post by Deegee99 »

Had this problem on mine just before the MOT. I just moved the lever manually using release fluid until it decided to free off. Manually meant clonking it with a hide mallet mind :shock: I got someone to sit in the car pulling the handbrake on and I tapped it back once it started to free off. I also had the added problem of the cable being a tad stiff to work as well but this soon became free after about 5 minutes of being manipulated. Good luck :thumleft:
jim-mapps

Post by jim-mapps »

Aye I was trying that for a good 5 hours yesterday, the lever is very free now, like I said above, so free I can release it by hand now but the spring just isn't pulling it back, £7 for a new one from toyota dealer though... not too bad :thumleft:
Deegee99

Post by Deegee99 »

Sorry Jim I obviously wasn't paying attention ](*,) Yep 7 squid sounds cheap enough :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”