Winter driving

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Are you driving your MR2 on the road this winter?

Poll ended at Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:12 am

Yes, daily driver
52%
Yes, but limited use or second car
26%
No, Taxed but not using
8%
No, SORN'd
13%

Total votes: 61

widster

Winter driving

Post by widster »

Interested in how many people are actually driving their MR2's in this weather. Mine is now MOT'd and i have my new exhaust on so it is ready to run but i have held off taxing it due to worries about putting it through a hedge, backwards, at speed! I also have the problem that it is stored 20 miles away so a bit of a pain to just jump in it for a quick blast.

Anyway, i have now done my first poll to see how cars are being used during this cold spell.
MRTWO

Re: Winter driving

Post by MRTWO »

I selected: Yes, but limited use or second car

I'm still sticking to my general rule of keeping it garaged unless the road is dry and the chance of rain is minimal.

Definitly looking forward to spring and summer to get out there alot more :D
Unless I'm very much mistaken...
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

I would drive mine, if it was working, but mine is far from mint.
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

I voted yes to daily driver because up untill last week it used it everyday for the past 2-3 years without any problems. If its wet or snowing then you drive slower, its a more planted car then most people think.
coverco

Post by coverco »

Both of mine are SORNed, one is tucked up in a heated garage, the other is inside my factory :thumleft:
Ben

Post by Ben »

un1eash wrote:If its wet or snowing then you drive slower, its a more planted car then most people think.

Exactly. The mk1 isn't like the probe, so it won't send you backwards into a hedge every time you touch the throttle. To be honest, it doesn't really have the power to be that unpredictable! Its my first rwd car, its been my daily driver all through winter and I've had no problem at all. I've always found it very predictable in the wet, I wouldn't call myself the most experienced driver but I've always been able to tell when its about to breakaway and have never had a problem reeling in the backend when I want a bit of fun :D

I even had the t-bars off a couple of days ago \:D/
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
monkeymax

Post by monkeymax »

I went for limited use or second car. It is currently un-MOT'd and SORN'd but I'm hoping that won't be the case soon, and that it will get used a bit.
But as I live on a farm, I don't want to drive it home. It's got a garage 10 minutes walk away - fine for occassional use, but not everyday use.

I use my bicycle every day anyway... ;)
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

I always used my Mk1s during the winter. For about 6 years it was my only car.

I love driving them in the snow it's such a giggle when you get used to it. :twisted:

Current one's SORN at the moment due to V6age.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

ive been driving mine all the time. very interesting on monday in heavy snow and very dangerously icy roads. my 4th winter in a '2 and it wont be the last :thumleft:
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Voted both yes and no becuase i'm awkward.

2 out of 3 are in regular service as mine and vix's daily road cars, the sprint car is off the road for winter improvements before next season.
widster

Post by widster »

Interesting so far with most (75%) of cars being used at least some of the time. I will be getting mine taxed for Feb but just need to put a bit more underseal in a few places first as don't want all that road salt rusting things away.

I agree that it can be great fun to drive an MR2 when the roads are wet or a bit slippy. You certainly have to concentrate more, be more precise with the controls and try to anticipate what is about to happen. My other car is an 8 year old A4. It has loads more grip than the MR2 and is very surefooted but it's nowhere near as much fun. Safe and reliable but a bit dull to drive, probably due to weighing a bit more and having no feel in the steering.
WeirdNeville

Post by WeirdNeville »

My main concern isn't losing control, just that the grit and salt will eat my car!
I've voted for limited use. I only use it a couple of times a week anyway but I've needed it to get to work for a few days over Christmas, and also I had a load of fun trips away meaning I covered nearly 1,000 miles in December.
vix

Post by vix »

Yes, got no choice in the matter. It's either my MR2 or his MR2. Actually we've got very lazy now and whoever leaves the house first takes the car that is last on the drive :)

I actually enjoy the fact that you have to concentrate more in bad weather and anticipate things that are likely to happen.
greglebon

Post by greglebon »

Daily driver for me..! :thumleft:

Re: losing it......:

Only had one near-miss in over 7 years of Mk1 ownership (N/A and S/C).

That was on a mini roundabout: slid a "little" :twisted: on some black ice, and nearly lost it..... :pale:

However, call it a "learning curve"...take it a little easier in the winter and everything will be fine....

Consider that you've probably got more chance of someone else hitting you, than you losing it....? :wink:
widster

Post by widster »

Lots of cars being used as daily drivers then which is good to hear. This has given me new encouragement to get mine on the road again as using an MR2 makes each journey that bit more interesting. Roll on February....
SuzyB

Post by SuzyB »

Voted for Daily Driver as unfortunately just had my company car pulled :mad: so will now be using the two as a daily driver as can't afford to get another car for daily use.
Not great as only bought her for weekend use, although like driving her more than company car LOL

Suz
widster

Post by widster »

SuzyB wrote:Voted for Daily Driver as unfortunately just had my company car pulled :mad: so will now be using the two as a daily driver as can't afford to get another car for daily use.
Not great as only bought her for weekend use, although like driving her more than company car LOL

Suz

Sorry to hear about the company car but have fun driving the MR2!
System-G

Post by System-G »

I've used one as a daily for 5 years now. No probs.

Although this year is the 1st year I'm using R888's in the icey conditions on the road and am quite impressed 8)
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
widster

Post by widster »

System-G wrote:I've used one as a daily for 5 years now. No probs.

Although this year is the 1st year I'm using R888's in the icey conditions on the road and am quite impressed 8)

I know it's going a bit off topic but how are you getting on with the RX8? I've always liked them, especially as they are a bit more practical than most 'sports' cars. Don't they rev to 9k!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

widster wrote:
I know it's going a bit off topic but how are you getting on with the RX8? I've always liked them, especially as they are a bit more practical than most 'sports' cars. Don't they rev to 9k!

You can get them up to abouto 9200rpm which is about where the limiter is. I managed 10K in one once by buzzing it on the downchange (well it was a Mazda UK car).
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”