[Mk2] [Turbo] Clutch life on uprated clutches...450ft/lb RPS less than a year...?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Chr15py
IMOC Organiser

[Mk2] [Turbo] Clutch life on uprated clutches...450ft/lb RPS less than a year...?

Post by Chr15py »

As above, a friend of mine has been advised that his RPS 450ft/lb clutch fitted about a year ago in August is looking worn out. Now, his car was dyno'd at 287bhp at the wheels - well within the capability of the clutch, he has never been to the pod and dragged it or done any trackdays so I dont see any reason as to why it would be foobed in that short amount of time. Hasn't been on an type of track tyre either. It has probably been used actually less than a year as his engine let go in july-ish and hasnt been used since.

Is this the life in "performance" clutches? I just dont get it as I have the same clutch and will i be needing a new clutch soon too! What's everyones experiances of performance clutches?
Chris
Mr Rapey Banana WILL get you...oh yes! :)
Quigonjay

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Clutch life on uprated clutches...450ft/lb RPS less than a year...?

Post by Quigonjay »

i have the same clutch
done sprinting/trackdays/drag and still going strong after 4 years/20k+
has he had any problems with it slipping?
who told him it was worn out?
mattymr2

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Clutch life on uprated clutches...450ft/lb RPS less than a year...?

Post by mattymr2 »

ive got ne of these clutches for that exact reason....so it didnt wear out rapidly.

mines only been used for fast road use, id was under the impression these clutches were designed for abuse and would far out live the stantard clutch.

im runnin about 300bhp, this should be well within the limits of this clutch???
Last edited by mattymr2 on Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caribbean_Blue

Post by Caribbean_Blue »

Chip,

Does your clutch peddle squeak? Could be slave cylinder on way out?
Running: 313.8BHP @ fly and 285lb torque on 1.15bar.
MY MR2 FOR SALE: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=109986
Lou-Lou

Post by Lou-Lou »

I've got a paddle clutch (not sure what one tho..) on my 14 and its just started slipping.. has only been doing it about a week and its already p*ssing me off.

They never seem to last too long IMO.. The one I had on the MR2 lasted about a year, but tbh no idea how long the one I have on the 14 has been in there.

I have heard of times with mates where they've only lasted a few months!

Hope mine holds out a few weeks though, want to try and wait til next month before I shell out for a new one :pray:
Caribbean_Blue

Post by Caribbean_Blue »

If your clutch only lasts a couple of months there is something VERY wrong with either clutch and/or fitting or your driving style but god knows what you need to do to burn it out that quick!
Running: 313.8BHP @ fly and 285lb torque on 1.15bar.
MY MR2 FOR SALE: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=109986
mattymr2

Post by mattymr2 »

ha!

my rps clutch is slipping! done less than 2000 miles, no track days and very few launches.....

wtf?
jmachling

Post by jmachling »

The pedal rod is adjustable - get it wrong and the clutch will be slipping from day 1 even though the clutch is brand new. There's a set-up guide in the BGB. Pedal freeplay should be 5-15mm and pushrod freeplay should be 1-5mm. I'd have thought maladjustment enough to slip the clutch would be quite noticeable, though.

Either that, or it could be to do with driving style - if you're slipping the clutch a lot at high revs, mismatching revs between gear changes or resting your foot on the clutch, it won't help matters.
mattymr2

Post by mattymr2 »

jmachling wrote:The pedal rod is adjustable - get it wrong and the clutch will be slipping from day 1 even though the clutch is brand new. There's a set-up guide in the BGB. Pedal freeplay should be 5-15mm and pushrod freeplay should be 1-5mm. I'd have thought maladjustment enough to slip the clutch would be quite noticeable, though.

Either that, or it could be to do with driving style - if you're slipping the clutch a lot at high revs, mismatching revs between gear changes or resting your foot on the clutch, it won't help matters.

never had any clutch probs in any of my other cars, so would hope its not my driving.
clutch worked fine until recently, and the car hasnt been driven hard for a good few months because of the crap weather!
must be a bad/faulty clutch or something, im sure it will be under warranty though, its less than 6 months old, and it hasnt been abused AND ive done less than 2000 miles!
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

i would imagine a possible big problem with people using these clutches is they try to drive them like a standard clutch.

Ie, the oem part is designed to be slipped and driven by all people with all driving styles. its a 'user friendly' clutch. therefore it is made of a material designed for longevity/durability. Whereas performance clutches are made from other materials designed for maximum clamping force / grip, which could mean a 'softer' material which is prone to wear faster if treated like an Oem part. However when on a track or drag racing (where these clutches are intended to be used), you are not stopping at junctions and doing hill starts so the clutch is not being slipped like it would need to be on the road. and thats when it will last longest.

I would imagine clutches are very much alike brake pads. Look at the EBC pads..

Green - Similar to everyday oem car pads, long lasting, moderate grip, dont require much 'heating up' to work. hard compound.

Red - Soft compound , maximum grip, needs warming up to work, lasts 5 minutes if your constantly on the brakes like when driving round towns. After all, on the track, you wont be on the brake right until the last possible moment, then you will be on them hard for a short period of time. these are designed for this style of driving.

Thats my theory anyway. But, i could be wrong :-k
Moo

Post by Moo »

A bit worrying to see this this as I'm soon to be in the market for a new clutch and was looking at RPS.

Still running the original standard clutch at 288 ATW and it's fine so I may stick with that a while longer if it lasts :pray:
jmachling

Post by jmachling »

Moo wrote:A bit worrying to see this this as I'm soon to be in the market for a new clutch and was looking at RPS.

Still running the original standard clutch at 288 ATW and it's fine so I may stick with that a while longer if it lasts :pray:

The standard clutches are supposed to be good for 300 horses - not sure if that's hubs or flywheel, though.

I've had an RPS Max Street 450 1b/ft on since I got the car, that was over 3 years and 30k+ miles ago. I'm probalby running no more than 280 at the flywheel, though - never dyno'd but it's just the usual mods (intake, exhaust, boost controller at 15psi)

If the clutch is going within 2000 miles, there's something else wrong I'd suggest. The only thing that can wear the clutch is slipping it against the flywheel.

Worth checking for crankshaft oil leaks, though. I'd imagine that'd imitate a worn clutch quite well!
Mikey P MR2

Post by Mikey P MR2 »

I agree with one of the above posts I would expect a performance clutch to last less time than a normal one as the extra power will be working it harder (like performance brake pads, do a better job but don’t last as long as oem ones) and as said the wear might be down to the individual’s driving style.

Return to “Modifications”