1999 rev5 turbos

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

slipping clutch

Re: 1999 rev5 turbos

Post by slipping clutch »

not mine - just seen this on another thread.
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/825977.htm
Rev5GT

Post by Rev5GT »

That is clearly NOT a rev5 - winds me up when dealers advertise falsely knowing full well the real model of the car :evil: I remember many years ago viewing so called Impreza STi's only to get there and they were normal 'WRX' models with a few stickers here and there and sold to individuals who didnt know any better as STi models...!!!

Rash.

slipping clutch wrote:not mine - just seen this on another thread.
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

Razor04 wrote:Straying slightly off topic...
Beams turbo?
is it possible to have the VVTI(beams) on a low compression turbocharged engine?

have fensport turbo'd their vvti celica demo car?

Very possible, but would be too expensive and would be little point. The BEAMS engine was designed as a N/A engine. By the time you have lowered the compression and managed to get it turboed, you may as well have started with a 3SGTE. If the VVTI is set up right, you may get a better torque curve but I doubt the benefit would be much.
starmist

Post by starmist »

[quote="Frustrated Pilot"]What about a REV 3 tubby with only 350 miles on the clock ???

Is that for real?
Mikey P MR2

Post by Mikey P MR2 »

Were there a lot of rev5 turbo’s surely by 1999 the mr2 turbo was beginning to become old hat in Japan after 10 years. I would be surprised if there were that many sold. I think the mr2 turbo was really the car of the early to mid 90s by 99 I think other jap models had taken over popularity.
starmist

Post by starmist »

I am after a Rev5 but do not mind what year, i was just interested as to the chances of a 99 model popping up.

I have considered a rev3 or 4 but i love the rear wing on a 5 and the fact that it would be one of the last made and i have just sold my car so i am fortunate in having the cash to spend on a good one.
Razor04

Post by Razor04 »

Rash wrote:That is clearly NOT a rev5 - winds me up when dealers advertise falsely knowing full well the real model of the car :evil: I remember many years ago viewing so called Impreza STi's only to get there and they were normal 'WRX' models with a few stickers here and there and sold to individuals who didnt know any better as STi models...!!!

Rash.

slipping clutch wrote:not mine - just seen this on another thread.

When did the rev5 start? what year? that car is a "P" plate so could be 96/97 as stated did the rev5 start late 97 then?
it has the clear lenses an no "tobes" speed flaps would have been lost when fittin the greddy sideskirts & rev5 spolier would've given way to the bomex ducktail.
It also has the stainless door sill kickplates but hang on...............
i cant see the red dials on the clocks hmmmmmmmmmmmmm :-k
Mr2'less
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Razor04 wrote:When did the rev5 start?

December 1997 I believe.
Rev5GT

Post by Rev5GT »

The seats/dials give it away for me....... Defo a Rev4 IMO.. here's a pic of mine but with the original rev5 steering also..

Razor04

Post by Razor04 »

yeah the dials look like KMH dials and the seats are the same as my rev3's, (dont know what rev5 seats look like though) :oops:
Mr2'less
cosmos

rev 5

Post by cosmos »

Toyota will check FOR FREE and tell you the month of manufacture and even optional factory extras provided you have the chassis no and the model no, my 1999 (May) chassis/frame no is SW20-011????
model no is ACM???
RST

Post by RST »

Razor04 wrote:
Straying slightly off topic...
Beams turbo?
is it possible to have the VVTI(beams) on a low compression turbocharged engine?

have fensport turbo'd their vvti celica demo car?

Very possible, but would be too expensive and would be little point. The BEAMS engine was designed as a N/A engine. By the time you have lowered the compression and managed to get it turboed, you may as well have started with a 3SGTE. If the VVTI is set up right, you may get a better torque curve but I doubt the benefit would be much.
...Yes it's been done to various stages of tuning (couple of FI projects going on at the moment) -and there were bolt on FI kits available for the black top from Blitz I think and maybe TRD. I can't say I totally understand the point for anything other than a relatively low pressure charge otherwise might as well start with a 3SGTE.
GeoffC320

Post by GeoffC320 »

starmist wrote:
Frustrated Pilot wrote:What about a REV 3 tubby with only 350 miles on the clock ???

Is that for real?

No.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”