1999 rev5 turbos

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

starmist

1999 rev5 turbos

Post by starmist »

Do you think any 1999 rev 5 turbos will be imported next year now that they are 10 years old.
I am constantly on the look out for a rev 5 turbo tin top but they are obviously very rare.
mattcambs

Re: 1999 rev5 turbos

Post by mattcambs »

PM Rash on here :thumleft:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

need to get in there quick :mrgreen:
craig

Post by craig »

Just stick a rev 5 wing on a rev 3. Look the same, cheaper and same engine. Job done.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

RedMR² wrote:Just stick a rev 5 wing on a rev 3. Look the same, cheaper and same engine. Job done.

bar the lack of tobs, silver kicker panels, red dials, red stiched wheel, (better block, reports of rev3 block weaker than rev1/2/4/5), rev5 wheels, oem clear sidelights, front wheel speed flaps....
passenger and driver aribags....

pretty visual things to an enthus anyway, lol...

:eye:
craig

Post by craig »

jimGTS wrote:
RedMR² wrote:Just stick a rev 5 wing on a rev 3. Look the same, cheaper and same engine. Job done.

bar the lack of tobs, silver kicker panels, red dials, red stiched wheel, (better block, reports of rev3 block weaker than rev1/2/4/5), rev5 wheels, oem clear sidelights, front wheel speed flaps....
passenger and driver aribags....

pretty visual things to an enthus anyway, lol...

:eye:

Thanks Jim, I know the difference between rev 3/5 ](*,) I wasn't going to go into every detail. I know that I would rather a rev 3 than pay all that money out on an over rated rev 5.

jimGTS wrote:reports of rev3 block weaker than rev1/2/4/5

Where's your source?
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

alright, keep your knickers on, was only saying :shock: :oldtongue:

i wouldnt say overrated, otherwise the OP wouldnt be asking now would he, lol...
my rev5 only cost me 500 more after selling my rev2 :oldtongue: (i sold a few bits off of it as well of course so the damage wasnt as bad).
so was a no brainer for me considering the mods i wanted.

granted, there will be tons more over the next couple of years, but pretty rare at the moment..

source, here and the US boards...
if you see any of the threads that mention cracked block, youll find 9 times out of 10, its a rev3.

(mind you youd be hard pushed to find 10, lol)

dont think its been proven either way really.
Frustrated Pilot

Post by Frustrated Pilot »

What about a REV 3 tubby with only 350 miles on the clock ???

:D
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

Thats so weird if they did make rev 3 blocks less strong, as you would have thought they would have made it just as strong due to it having to cope with more power as standard.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

rev3 block isn't weaker per se but there was a revision in part number and likely design around the rev4/5 units. Also, 90percent of broken blocks in the US are rev1/2 due to the fact they didn't get rev3+ motors.

I believe all revisions break blocks and some are thinner than others made on the same revision. Measuring the wall thickness is the only way to make sure

In the US they are using the 5S block which is stronger and has a slightly bigger bore to boot - apparently :wink:
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

allan welsh wrote:rev3 block isn't weaker per se but there was a revision in part number and likely design around the rev4/5 units. Also, 90percent of broken blocks in the US are rev1/2 due to the fact they didn't get rev3+ motors.

I believe all revisions break blocks and some are thinner than others made on the same revision. Measuring the wall thickness is the only way to make sure

In the US they are using the 5S block which is stronger and has a slightly bigger bore to boot - apparently :wink:

I read on the OC that the thin block thing isnt even related to rev and have been seen on all revs 1-5.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

pot luck then....
tho only cracked blocks ive seen on imoc is rev3.

no dout a myth with some hint of truth from somewhere....

either way, rev3+ rocks...
tho mine is not standard (so prob hard to compare)
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

jimGTS wrote:pot luck then....
tho only cracked blocks ive seen on imoc is rev3.

no dout a myth with some hint of truth from somewhere....

either way, rev3+ rocks...
tho mine is not standard (so prob hard to compare)

Theres that dirty great turbo for a start :lol:
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

jimGTS wrote:need to get in there quick :mrgreen:

indeed :oldtongue:
cosmos

rev 5

Post by cosmos »

There is a chart showing production quantities somewhere, there was approx 340 mr2,s produced in 1999 up to August in Japan of which some will be variants G Limited etc so Rev 5 Turbos were not abundant in huge numbers in the rundown year is my understanding.
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

I wouldn't pay extra for a rev 5 turbo. My mate had one and the differences are very minor compared to a rev 3 (except style of wheels). I also much prefer the look of the rev 3 spoiler aswell.

As for engine problems, it's hard to say for sure but the only problems I've personally heard of have been exclusively on rev 1/2 engines.
Rev5GT

Post by Rev5GT »

I think one of the main reasons to buy a rev5 is the age of the car (as well as the above mentioned differences). The early rev5's are now 10 years old and although i have driven a lot of good rev3's.. The Rev5's are just that bit more 'fresher' to drive...

Only seen a handful of rev5's for sale throughout 2008 (in japan) and not a load as some predicted this time last year and 1999 turbo's will be even more few and far between. Especially good standard examples (if thats wahat you are after..!!) however the odd modified one does come up every now and then..

What you must consider are current market conditions along with the value of the £/$ against the Yen... It is sometimes better/cheaper to buy one thats already registered in the UK than to Import one unless of course you dont mind waiting or ar after one with a spec that is not available...

Personally if i was after a cheap thrill every day car I would buy a good Rev3 around £2500 because for me that would serve the same purpose that a rev5 would only cheaper....!! However if you want something different / newer of which there aren't many around then a Rev5 is the one for you....

Rash.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

I was gona say, even if there was zero differences between the revs, what's wrong with picking a potential 6 year younger car, with no dout less miles, and overal better condition in general.

There's a good enough reason to justify a higher price. Just like any other car on the Market. People sometimes like to go for the newest model.

Only got mine by chance, I werth even in the Market for a car.
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

That's fair enough. I'd pay a price depending on the mileage and condition primarily rather than the age or revision of the car. For example, say there was a mint rev 3 and an equally mint rev 5 for sale with similar mileages I wouldn't pay any more than £1k extra just to have a rev 5. The rev 5 'changes' just don't justify it for me.
Razor04

Post by Razor04 »

Straying slightly off topic...
Beams turbo?
is it possible to have the VVTI(beams) on a low compression turbocharged engine?

have fensport turbo'd their vvti celica demo car?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”