WEB SITE :- whats happening ?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

HT

Re: WEB SITE :- whats happening ?

Post by HT »

benedwards64 wrote:Some good answers here.
Firstly - Sorry Tony, I do appreciate the amount of work that has gone into the mk1 club. As has been said, its very easy to become an 'armchair critic' as I seem to have become #-o

The thing is, from what I can gather, one of the major issues of the club has been dwindling membership rates, and the point of the new website and revamped club is (amongst other things) to attract new members to boost the mk1 community. I'm just not convinced that charging new members for such information is the way to go about it - as has been pointed out, there is info all over the net and people will just go there instead.
I would hate to see all this effort to have been in vain.

I will be following the new club and site with interest and I sincerely wish you guys the best of luck. You certainly have the passion and the right ideas, I just wanted to offer my own thoughts as I felt they could be beneficial - my apologies if the matter has got out of hand somewhat

No need for any apologies its a public forum :wink:

Tbh honest I feel the club needs to think outside of the box, in order to do something different to what the other clubs for this generation mr2. Part of that process, should be to gather opnion - of young & old members, large or short standing membership, in a way to identify the demand for what they offer. :!:
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

HT wrote:
Firstly - Sorry Tony, I do appreciate the amount of work that has gone into the mk1 club. As has been said, its very easy to become an 'armchair critic' as I seem to have become #-o

The thing is, from what I can gather, one of the major issues of the club has been dwindling membership rates, and the point of the new website and revamped club is (amongst other things) to attract new members to boost the mk1 community. I'm just not convinced that charging new members for such information is the way to go about it - as has been pointed out, there is info all over the net and people will just go there instead.

I will be following the new club and site with interest and I sincerely wish you guys the best of luck. You certainly have the passion and the right ideas, I just wanted to offer my own thoughts as I felt they could be beneficial - my apologies if the matter has got out of hand somewhat

Tbh honest I feel the club needs to think outside of the box, in order to do something different to what the other clubs for this generation mr2. Part of that process, should be to gather opnion - of young & old members, large or short standing membership, in a way to identify the demand for what they offer. :!:
]

See thats what i love !! where were you when the AGM was being held ?, where were you when we asked what YOU wanted from YOUR club ??, both valid points i think, if you decided it couldnt be bothered to go, or in fact not even in the mk1 club, then i feel you really dont have a case to rubbish those who have worked hard for those who pay a membership & contribute to their club. And as you quite righly state, there is no need to appologise its an open forum..... so i wont appologise for my comments, i talk straight, try my best to get things done & im passionate about what i believe in . Jinxy
HT

Post by HT »

Tony jinxy froude wrote:
HT wrote:

]

See thats what i love !! where were you when the AGM was being held ?, where were you when we asked what YOU wanted from YOUR club ??, both valid points i think, if you decided it couldnt be bothered to go, or in fact not even in the mk1 club, then i feel you really dont have a case to rubbish those who have worked hard for those who pay a membership & contribute to their club. And as you quite righly state, there is no need to appologise its an open forum..... so i wont appologise for my comments, i talk straight, try my best to get things done & im passionate about what i believe in . Jinxy

Don't apologise - just don't expect to gather support :wink:
Ben

Post by Ben »

Tony is that a reply to me or HT? :?:
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

Tony jinxy froude wrote:
See thats what i love !! where were you when the AGM was being held ?, if you decided it couldnt be bothered to go, Jinxy

at this point it all falls flat
it is about time some of you guys cut the "I attend everything and those that don't don't care!" attittude
the only thing it promotes is alienation of potential members/contributers
before you take this as a personal attack Tony you are not the first to use this terminology :cry:
HT

Post by HT »

Tony jinxy froude wrote:See thats what i love !! where were you when the AGM was being held ?, where were you when we asked what YOU wanted from YOUR club ??, both valid points i think, if you decided it couldnt be bothered to go, or in fact not even in the mk1 club, then i feel you really dont have a case to rubbish those who have worked hard for those who pay a membership & contribute to their club. And as you quite righly state, there is no need to appologise its an open forum..... so i wont appologise for my comments, i talk straight, try my best to get things done & im passionate about what i believe in . Jinxy

Actually Tony - I'll add to that, this fixed attitude of 'doing' whats best for the club, and individuals obsession wth this is possibly a major detractor for any involvement. Its a car club, its supposed to be fun, and light hearted - so go and get some xmas spirit and rejoin in the new year mate - its really not worth losing your hair over. Huw
Tony jinxy froude

HT wrote:
Tony jinxy froude wrote:
HT wrote:

]

Dont need to gather support Huw, support will come from those willing to support the club natually & contribute without the need to press gang them :wink:
HT

Post by HT »

Tony jinxy froude wrote:
HT wrote:
Tony jinxy froude wrote:]

Dont need to gather support Huw, support will come from those willing to support the club natually & contribute without the need to press gang them :wink:

Yes - thats true. But hardly an attittude to attract willing supporters. ](*,)
Ben

Post by Ben »

Tony jinxy froude wrote:

So why is it the club is suffering low membership and not attracting new members? You do need to gather support and new faces on order for all the hard work on the new site to pay off :thumleft:
coverco

Post by coverco »

I bet Kev wishes he had not asked the original question now :)

I personally do not think the MK1 has a big enough base to warrant an exclusive club. That is why the main owners clubs are multi marque. The Mk1 is now a very cheap sports car so is being bought by people who have no interest in joining a club unless it is based on meetings outside McDonalds :shock:

Having read all the posts on this thread I must admit to being even less likely to join the club, which is a shame as if I feel this way then others reading this thread will also feel the same way. I don't even know who the mysterious committee members are but I assume some of the people posting on this thread are on the committee, but I personally will not pay £20 to join a forum and it appears others are of a similar mind. You may spend a lot of time and money getting the website and forum up and running but I think it might be a small membership :(
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

My 2p worth is that the demise of the mk1 club started when it became part of imoc,that was probably the worst decision ever made for both clubs.

Take a look at Imoc's other sections now,there are maybe a handful of mk1 related posts on the entire site when before the mk1 club got its own section there were loads of imoc mk1 members.Imoc's main sections are now 99.9% mk2 related,that only happened since the mk1 club parked here.

Now the problem as i see it is that the imoc mk1 members now post in the mr2mk1 club section,but they do that for a fiver a year.... when the mk1 club finally leaves imoc and has its own forum how many people do you think will want to pay £20 to access that?

The even bigger picture is that despite everyones efforts an 80's car club with exclusive membership and high member fee will always have an ever more dwindling base as cars find their way to the scrapyard and people move on.

Sadly in ten years time you will only have the grass roots and purists left attending JAE in mint condition cars,the rest will have gone or lost interest.

Just my opinion,but for the mk1 club to survive its got to start appealing to the masses,at the right membership price,and with its own identity.
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

yes i do wish i had not asked the question. all i wanted was an update to the go live date.
things seem to have got off the point somewhat. the mk1 club website has got to be a good thing. it cant be worse than what we have at the moment.
i just dont see why there is any arguement. you either want to join or not. if you dont want to join then its of no concern. if you are interested then look forward to the extra chance to find out whats going on in the mk1 world.
so when is it due to go live ?
Tony jinxy froude

Simple answer Kev, 1st Jan, there's a lot going on behind the scenes at the moment & things will get better once the info is on the site, nothing is set in stone about how much info will be available to non members of the club, the knowledge base is not the be all & end all of being in the mk1 club & at the end of the day the members decide what they want from their club, its certainly not a dictatorship which is why the AGM was decided upon.
Yes the cars are getting fewer & fewer, but, you have to remember that there is still a lot of mk1 drivers who are unaware of a club, be it IMOC or the MK1 club, greater awareness of the new site & new club will natually generate interest.
You have to ask what you actually get from IMOC as a mk1 owner ? a forum & discounts from affiliated companys where 95% of them cater for MK2 stuff anyway, if those are happy to pay a fiver for that, then thats fine, its probably all they want from owning a mk1 & i have no problem with that, however i want more from owning a mk1 than somewhere to write something, i want to get involved, but then thats just me :mrgreen: , Jinxy
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

thanks, thats what i wanted to know. do you know if there is going to be a traders section ? if so how do you get into it ?
Kieran Williams

Post by Kieran Williams »

I have been reading this thread with interest. I now own my 6th Mk1 and have attended a fair few meets over the years.I dont normally post my thoughts oon ere but in this instance i thought i would offer my opinion of things.

The mk1 Club should really take a step backwards and become a seperate club again, the original website is dated and the new one is in hand which hopefully will be great.

Membership should be charged but not at £20, i am a member of Twobrutal and i pay £10 a year, for this i get a great deal of help and advice, use of the clubs equipment and am privy to a huge amount of articles about various technical stuff. I also have the option of not paying £10 but still being able to read(not reply) various parts of the forum. This is ideal for getting people interested!

After reading this thread it seems that there is a lot of different wants from people, the argument being made is that if you have an opinion or an idea for the new style club then yoou should have really voiced it at the AGM, this is a very old fashioned way of thinking in my opinion, not everyone can get there.
The commitee needs to actually ask peoples opinion more via the forum..i.e polls and threads that ask for peoples wants and ideas, before they try to do it all themselves, there an awfull lot of comments saying"there is a lot going on behind the scenes".....what is it and when was it decided?, it would make everyones life easier!

It would certainly get rid of threads like this that consist of everyone bickering about things that could or should have been

I really do hope that the new website is as good as it can be and that the commitee listen to the various opinions on here before setting any fees etc in stone, there is still time to start a seperate poll/thread asking what potential/existing members would want :thumleft:

I only payed my first years membership to the club and then left, simply because i felt it was a little old fashioned at the time, i would rejoin in an instant if it was brought up to date, the people i have met are all great and it has a lot of potential to be a great club, just needs a bit more comunication between the commitee and the members :thumleft:

This thread is just my opinion, overall i am able to enjoy my car whatever happens, it would be nice to have a dedicated club though.

Ki
Ben

Post by Ben »

Kieran Williams wrote: there is still time to start a seperate poll/thread asking what potential/existing members would want :thumleft:

Ki

+1 - that's a great idea (if it hasn't already been done??)
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

kaiowas wrote:All I can tell you is that I'm no longer involved. After many hours of hard work I had the test site up and running for the 1st of December as per the agreement from the AGM.

For reasons known only to themselves the committee then decided that 3 weeks before their deadline for a launch date was a good time to discard everything I'd done and start from scratch with a professional web designer.

As you can probably understand, being shat on from a great height pi$$ed me and vix off somewhat and we have both now withdrawn from all of our involvement with the club.

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

mate now you knew exactly how i felt then
Tony jinxy froude

To answer a few questions regarding whats being done within the mk1 club, this was printed in the mk1 club magazine which all club members should receive, the AGM gave the oportunity for those members attending to voice their opinon on what they want from the club, this could have been done in person on the day or via the club mag, this is what has happened & been acted upon, not every member of the club goes on IMOC & the mk1 forum here is only a small part of the club, the benefits of joining the mk1 club will be detailed on the new site & available for all to see obviously where you can decide to be a member or not, the choice is yours, hope this helps :thumleft: , cheers, Jinxy
Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 »

I haven't joined the MK1 club for two reasons. One, when I clicked the link, I got a jaded website that appeared out of date so I assumed it was 'dead'. All the dates seem to be for 2006 and earlier. Secondly I still cannot easily find a way of paying. I have decided to give up and wait for the new site and then I will join.

I joined a rival MR2 site and lurked for a while. Then I plucked up courage and attended an event, enjoyed it so went home and paid my fee. I feel it is money well spent as it is only a tenner and goes towards the upkeep of the site.

I therefore think a lot of it should be free (I bought my car with help from the tech section, I would not have paid to access it before buying the car) but then maybe keep some areas back for paying members.

Jinxy, I didn't attend an AGM as I really only became a regular on IMOC in late October. and I am hoping you won't get cross with me :(
Tony jinxy froude

:mrgreen: not at all Kate :thumleft: , the AGM was for the MK1 club only anyway & had nothing to do with IMOC, many people still dont realise that there was a mk1 club before we had been given space on IMOC & that there still is a MK1 club catering solely for the MK1 in fact its the only club in the world which caters solely for the mk1.
There is i believe a sticky at the top of the mk1 forum where you can pay your membership for the mk1 club via Paypal, this will be more obvious on the new forum, so will what you get for your membership :thumleft: , i'll talk to you more in person when i see you next :thumleft: , Jinxy

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”