WEB SITE :- whats happening ?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Kooga

Re: WEB SITE :- whats happening ?

Post by Kooga »

Playing devils advocate - what is any spangly new website going to offer that you can't get from the IMOC site? I suspect this is the biggest issue with your membership decline; £5 IMOC membership with a fully loaded site and hundreds of helpful members, versus £30 with no website, few members and what would appear to be a whole lot of politics?
Was just thinking your boat may have sailed....
vix

Post by vix »

Tony jinxy froude wrote:Vix, with all due respect here, as soon as the phone was put down after Stuarts call to you both regarding the decision regarding the website, you both resigned, not by phone call, which would have been the honourable thing to do as Stuart had done regarding tthe decision to go with the pro design, but by email, so if as you say your resignation had nothing to do with who's design we went with, rather than comunication, it certainly didnt come across that way.
How long could we have left it for a website to appear before we issued an altermatum to Phil ? 1 more year, 2 years ?, we had already waited for 2 years & still nothing appeared, it was already cutting it fine for a beta version & a full version to be ready in time & that was from a site that already had 80% of the work done, how long before we could leave it from the 30th Nov for a full alterative site to be ready for 1st Jan... virtually no time at all :-k .
the previous post was in answer to Kev by the way, & i understand you were approached by Max who offered his help, the other person escapes me at the moment, so you were offered help & declined it.,if there was nothing left to do, why did it take another year to get a beta version to appear at litterally the 11th hour, theres no face lost if you ask for help, but plenty if you decline & it goes t1ts up like this has, Jinx

I was under the impression that resignations had to be done in writing, hence the e mail.

i wasn't digging up old skellingtons when I posted, i was just making sure people didn't think we had stropped off because the committee didn't use Phil's site, when it was really down to so much more.

Perhaps if Phil had been given a timescale originally, he'd have worked to it? And some people seem to have forgotten, again, why he hadn't been able to work on it from July to Sept. i haven't, I still have the limp to remind me!! It makes him look like the baddie when we say how long it's taken him to do the site, perhaps people need to realise it was just a human being volunteering in his spare time after all.

Kooga, appreciate your comments, but the boat hasn't sailed yet. There are still a few people holding on to the rope, but they are dwindling.
HT

Post by HT »

Kooga wrote:Playing devils advocate - what is any spangly new website going to offer that you can't get from the IMOC site? I suspect this is the biggest issue with your membership decline; £5 IMOC membership with a fully loaded site and hundreds of helpful members, versus £30 with no website, few members and what would appear to be a whole lot of politics?

Quite agree: I won't bother renewing again, although thats not a reflection on the individuals concerned efforts, web focused IMOC is all I have a need for regarding mk1 ownership. :thumleft:
coverco

Post by coverco »

Perhaps a public forum is not the best place to air grievances, it is an amusing read but it really does not present the club as a unified body :-k
HT

Post by HT »

vix wrote:
Tony jinxy froude wrote:Vix, with all due respect here, as soon as the phone was put down after Stuarts call to you both regarding the decision regarding the website, you both resigned, not by phone call, which would have been the honourable thing to do as Stuart had done regarding tthe decision to go with the pro design, but by email, so if as you say your resignation had nothing to do with who's design we went with, rather than comunication, it certainly didnt come across that way.
How long could we have left it for a website to appear before we issued an altermatum to Phil ? 1 more year, 2 years ?, we had already waited for 2 years & still nothing appeared, it was already cutting it fine for a beta version & a full version to be ready in time & that was from a site that already had 80% of the work done, how long before we could leave it from the 30th Nov for a full alterative site to be ready for 1st Jan... virtually no time at all :-k .
the previous post was in answer to Kev by the way, & i understand you were approached by Max who offered his help, the other person escapes me at the moment, so you were offered help & declined it.,if there was nothing left to do, why did it take another year to get a beta version to appear at litterally the 11th hour, theres no face lost if you ask for help, but plenty if you decline & it goes t1ts up like this has, Jinx

I was under the impression that resignations had to be done in writing, hence the e mail.

i wasn't digging up old skellingtons when I posted, i was just making sure people didn't think we had stropped off because the committee didn't use Phil's site, when it was really down to so much more.

Perhaps if Phil had been given a timescale originally, he'd have worked to it? And some people seem to have forgotten, again, why he hadn't been able to work on it from July to Sept. i haven't, I still have the limp to remind me!! It makes him look like the baddie when we say how long it's taken him to do the site, perhaps people need to realise it was just a human being volunteering in his spare time after all.

Kooga, appreciate your comments, but the boat hasn't sailed yet. There are still a few people holding on to the rope, but they are dwindling.

Whatever the politics involved, some recognition for an individuals efforts in their spare time is due. Welldone anyway Vix & Phil for trying :clap:
HT

Post by HT »

coverco wrote:Perhaps a public forum is not the best place to air grievances, it is an amusing read but it really does not present the club as a unified body :-k

Then perhaps it is not?

I'm unsure of the need for a club to aid survival of a well loved car, I reckon they'll still be pampered or at least enjoyed (thrashed :wink: ) whether a mk1 club is there or not.
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

Kooga wrote:Playing devils advocate - what is any spangly new website going to offer that you can't get from the IMOC site? I suspect this is the biggest issue with your membership decline; £5 IMOC membership with a fully loaded site and hundreds of helpful members, versus £30 with no website, few members and what would appear to be a whole lot of politics?

Quite the opposite in fact, it offers/will offer a top quality website, top quality mag devoted to just the mk1 no other marque of mr2 which IMOC do not offer, quality club merchandise, top tech advice, insurance discounts, membership pack, MK1 knowledge base & a forum devoted to just the mk1, info on club runs, gatherings, the list goes on, if none of these floats your boat, then i guess you dont need to be a member anyway :-k . The club politics has only surfaced because there are so many people who are pationate about the club & are willing to do something positive about it that we have initially run with it in different directions in haste to get something done, but this has now been sorted & guarantee that the new modern club will be totally different to the old one, all those who work behind the scenes do it vollentarily, all have regular jobs & all have families, but all work hard for YOUR club, so before anyone slates what has / hasnt been done in the last few months, why not get elected onto the committee & start making a change the same way we have all done :-k , Jinxy
Ben

Post by Ben »

So would a mk1 club website and forum mean moving away from IMOC altogether? If that is the case, then it seems the club is shooting itself in the foot.
This mk1 page has a huge amount of technical knowledge from mk1 owners past and present, and it is obvious that not all who post here are members of the mk1 club. Surely moving away from this site would split mk1 owners, so that both IMOC and the mk1 club are left with less members who may be able to offer help/advice?
Given that a lot of mk1 owners don't stray to other sections of IMOC, how likely is it that they will come back here to help mk1 owners that are members here, but not on the new forum?
(Playing Devil's advocate) I notice there aren't many familiar names in the mk1 section of mr2oc...
GaryR

Post by GaryR »

Discount on the insurance and the (new style) mags are worth the money, IHMO. December's addition arrived a couple of weeks ago, and I'm still re-reading it, wishing I had more time to attend some of the events. Louise and Karl have done a great job, along with all those who contribute.

The website does need updating though, as it feels a little stale.

Gary
Tony jinxy froude

Yes it will mean moving over to the new site, IMOC are already aware of this. We cant thank IMOC enough for allowing us to have a forum on here, but time has come for the club to have its own identity, this means that postings on the mk1 club forum will be only be for members. There will be a knowledge base on the new forum just as there is presently on here, it will be updated & in some cases re written if need be. Technical guys will be on the new site as they are here at the moment, so nothing will change there. MR2OC are a mixed MR2 forum, the MK1 club is not just a forum but a club too, which caters for just the MK1 unlike the MR2OC. We realise that not all of you will join the new club for one reason or another, but we hope you will join & make a difference. Jinxy
JMR_AW11

Post by JMR_AW11 »

The worry with a pro designed website is you are tied to one designer unless you can get them to hand over the complete design to the club (are they likely to do this?)

You then need someone who can understand it to maintain it.

If you don't get the handover then you are always at the risk of the site effectively dying overnight if you fall out with the designer (and you are left with a frozen website)

I would have favoured a 100% club designed site that could have been maintained and/or updated by anyone with basic website skills. eg something fairly basic to maintain yet with some punchy images. The current site fails to meet even these basic requirements.

Don't forget this is a website for an ageing car with dwindling numbers of these cars on the road. Take a look at most car club sites and they look pretty basic. The key is to keep it updated and change the homepage images now and again.

The current website is pretty grim yet even it wasn't kept up to date. Will a pro designer fix this problem?

I'm not so sure because the designer will need to be fed new material for uploading and who will (regularly) provide this material? If this person exists then why isn't this material already getting onto the current website? All that gets updated are the 'for sale' ads. You don't need a pro designer to maintain 'for sale' ads.

If there was a replacement website available on Dec 1st then why didn't the club take it?

Surely it had to be better than the current website? Even if it only ran for a few months?
Tony jinxy froude

JMR_AW11 wrote:The worry with a pro designed website is you are tied to one designer unless you can get them to hand over the complete design to the club (are they likely to do this?)

You then need someone who can understand it to maintain it.

If you don't get the handover then you are always at the risk of the site effectively dying overnight if you fall out with the designer (and you are left with a frozen website)

I would have favoured a 100% club designed site that could have been maintained and/or updated by anyone with basic website skills. eg something fairly basic to maintain yet with some punchy images. The current site fails to meet even these basic requirements.

Don't forget this is a website for an ageing car with dwindling numbers of these cars on the road. Take a look at most car club sites and they look pretty basic. The key is to keep it updated and change the homepage images now and again.

The current website is pretty grim yet even it wasn't kept up to date. Will a pro designer fix this problem?

I'm not so sure because the designer will need to be fed new material for uploading and who will (regularly) provide this material? If this person exists then why isn't this material already getting onto the current website? All that gets updated are the 'for sale' ads. You don't need a pro designer to maintain 'for sale' ads.

If there was a replacement website available on Dec 1st then why didn't the club take it?

Surely it had to be better than the current website? Even if it only ran for a few months?

To answer some of your questions, the site will have regular updates from both the committee feeding the designer & from the committee itself & its members via the committee, so every member plays a part in its sucsess or failure for that matter, the committee can only do so much as with the club mag, the rest is down to the membership.
Revamping the old website was never an issue, it would have meant far too much time & effort to revive something that died with the dinosaurs. Phils website had issues which i wont go over again here, which is why it was decided that a pro designer take over the task, again with its members consideration at heart, incidentaly Jeremy, are you a mk1 club member, if not why not & what would you do differently to improve things within the club ?, Jinxy
waynestoyotamr2

Post by waynestoyotamr2 »

vix wrote:
waynestoyotamr2 wrote:

All I will say is the people that caused these issues and previously held the club back are no longer involved.

Whether he meant it that way or not, I'd just like to make it known that i was not one of the people holding the club back. Thanks.

Just to clarify, I wasnt refering to Vix with what I said.
"If in doubt - just make the numbers up!" ;)
JMR_AW11

Post by JMR_AW11 »

Hi Jinxy

I was a member but left two years ago presumably for the same reasons others have left. The format was becoming increasingly tired.

I did suggest improvements soon after I'd left, eg to improve the welcome pack to new members (eg a CDROM/DVD guide) and also to improve the website.

The other thing is that most members only see the mag. They don't go to organised events and may feel left out.

I wonder if there could be some kind of 'members directory' where people could find out how many members are in their area and those that were willing to be contacted could be entered into a local club directory (online)which could include a basic blog for each member with images of their car and interests etc.

This could be managed by giving all members a club email address to maintain privacy etc.

When I was a member there was no way of finding out if anyone else in Gloucs was a member so I didn't really feel like I was part of the club, I just got to read the mag every few months.

I did go to a few club meets but it was a 160 mile round trip and it's a long way to go if you just see the same few faces each time.
Tony jinxy froude

Jeremy, the reasons why you left are no longer relevant, The new club will be far removed from the way the old club was run, but some things remain & cant be changed, we can only give out the relevant info on gatherings, runs etc, short of wacking every member over the head & bundling them into a 40ft container only to be opened at a mk1 club event isnt an option, we have tried to get members to attend events in their cars, but the sucsess of any event is down to the members at the end of the day, we hope the forum & newly developed club will at least spark some life into the membership & encourage everyone to experience such gatherings & contribute to their club., Jinxy
Ben

Post by Ben »

Tony jinxy froude wrote: this means that postings on the mk1 club forum will be only be for members.

Paid members or just 'signed-up' members? I do hope it's not going to be a paying-members' access only club.

Sorry for the pertinent question - let me explain a little. When I first got my mk1 I found the club website and spent a while going through the entire thing. I found there to be a lot if useful information on there, but not many signs of life! Then, following the link, I found the IMOC mk1 page, which seemed to be full of very helpful, knowledgable people. Now, IMOC does not require money OR membership to browse its pages (apart from the premium member section, but who uses that anyway?). Therefore, I used the sight as a non-paid-up member for a while until I felt I could justify the fee and became a full member, which I was happy about because I knew what I was paying for.

/Fast forward a few months...
... my mrs buys herself a Ford Puma, which is a very nice and interesting car, so I do the same thing I did with the mk1 and look on google for an owners' club. Sure enough, there is an online forum. However, first of all, to even view it you have to sign up (which I'm not too fussed about but did rile me a little), but that gives you access to a very small proportion of the sight. I've had problems with posts being moved, by moderators, to parts of the sight I cannot see because they were not deemed suitable for where they were. To see replies to my questions, I have to pay to become a full member ](*,) which doesn't impress me much, as its not my car and I only have a casual interest in it. I have hardly bothered with the site since.

Sorry for the essay, but the point I'm trying to make is that there are probably a fair few mk1ers who are not quite so fanatical about the car as others are. They will probably just keep posting on IMOC for free, rather than go through all the effort of signing up/paying for an additional forum.

I do hope you will make it at least accessible to non-paying members, as I think this will portray the club in a very good light and persuade more people to become paid-ip members because they can 'test the water' before deciding if it is for them. A 'paid members only' club would send all the wrong messages.

Just my thoughts anyway :thumleft: and sorry if you have already discussed this - I was just curious to know!
Last edited by Ben on Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JMR_AW11

Post by JMR_AW11 »

Tony jinxy froude wrote:Jeremy, the reasons why you left are no longer relevant, The new club will be far removed from the way the old club was run, but some things remain & cant be changed, we can only give out the relevant info on gatherings, runs etc, short of wacking every member over the head & bundling them into a 40ft container only to be opened at a mk1 club event isnt an option, we have tried to get members to attend events in their cars, but the sucsess of any event is down to the members at the end of the day, we hope the forum & newly developed club will at least spark some life into the membership & encourage everyone to experience such gatherings & contribute to their club., Jinxy

OK but surely the data protection hurdle can be overcome via the members' blog? They can enter online which town/city they live in and include their club email address for contact?

If they don't want to be contacted then they don't enter a blog.

There's more to a club than just organised meetings. I'm suggesting a blog based method for local club members to meet up informally if they share similar interests (could be anything from mountain biking to wine tasting)

Also, what about a club based mk1 MR2 wiki?
Last edited by JMR_AW11 on Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ben

Post by Ben »

JMR_AW11 wrote:
I wonder if there could be some kind of 'members directory' where people could find out how many members are in their area and those that were willing to be contacted could be entered into a local club directory (online)which could include a basic blog for each member with images of their car and interests etc.

+1 for members' directory! Also, maybe a members' history would be good too... my car was covered in mk1 club stickers when I bought it, and I found a 2002 mag in the glove box. I'd love to find out who its past owners were and what they did with it.
waynestoyotamr2

Post by waynestoyotamr2 »

Reading this thread with a bit of a "LOL" actually.

Everyone knows the faults of this club and Jeremy you raise some really logical points.

We know what the problems are, and are finding more as we going along.

As in my other post, we are trying to sort things out - but this is not a small task - it might even take 2 years!!!!!

Why are we doing this? Well, I am passionate about the Mk1 MR2 above and beyond anything else, as are the rest of the Committee. I dont want to be sharing my JAE stand with Mk2's (no offence to Mk2 owners btw) and I dont want to be a small part of the IMOC picture and I dont want to be tucked away in the corner behind the toilets at JAE like 2008!

Lastly, and this will be my final input into this thread - if anyone can offer any skills, time or indeed experience from how things worked in other clubs and you also love the Mk1 MR2 - contact anyone from the Committee and offer your services.

Nobody likes change, that because we are humans, but the way the Mk1 Club is changing WILL BE FOR THE BETTER.
"If in doubt - just make the numbers up!" ;)
Tony jinxy froude

In answer to Bens question, some of the site will be able to be viewed by non members as there will be a non members area, however posts on the new forum & some sections of the site will be for members only, Much of the knowledge base stuff takes ages to write & ages to complile & much more of it is planned, this will benefit members of the mk1 club, without protecting this kind of information whats the point of having a club & where do we generate income to improve benefits to club members, surely £20 odd is not too much to pay for this kind of info as well as the other club benefits :-k you only get out of a club what your prepared to put into it. If you were to work hard on something which takes up most of your day, would you feel the need to share it with the world for free, or share it with others for a small fee ? :-k , Jinxy

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”