Power Steering Intermittently going stiff?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Stealthy

Power Steering Intermittently going stiff?

Post by Stealthy »

Hi all,

As above really, every now and again my steering goes tight, it usually happens when driving slowly but occasionally it'll also happen when driving normally.

More of an annoyance than anything else really.

Any ideas people?

Cheers

Gavin
toxo
IMOC Committee

Re: Power Steering Intermittently going stiff?

Post by toxo »

Does it happen after you've been driving in a straight line for 30 seconds? The power steering motor powers down after 30s of non use.
Stealthy

Post by Stealthy »

Haven't really noticed to be honest, will have a drive tonight and find out and report my findings :thumleft:

Cheers
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Stealthy wrote:Haven't really noticed to be honest, will have a drive tonight and find out and report my findings :thumleft:

Cheers

check/top up the fluid, i get this same problem now and again and it's coz i have a leak somewhere.
Stealthy

Post by Stealthy »

sheppy wrote:
Stealthy wrote:Haven't really noticed to be honest, will have a drive tonight and find out and report my findings :thumleft:

Cheers

check/top up the fluid, i get this same problem now and again and it's coz i have a leak somewhere.

This was my initial thought but, I checked the level and it reads fine on measuring thing, is something I'm keeping my eye on

Cheers :thumleft:
jmachling

Post by jmachling »

Most likely the power steering relay - turn the ignition on and off 20 times or more (not starting the car though) and it should sort it.

Failing that it's supposed to be fine to bypass it.

It could also be a dodgy speed delimiter/speedo converter but the relay is a very common fault on MR2s
Stealthy

Post by Stealthy »

Cheers,

Shall try the ignition when I leave work, failing that where are the relays for the PS, in the frunk?

It is an import so the delimiter/speedo conversion is also feasible

Thanks
jmachling

Post by jmachling »

Stealthy wrote:Cheers,

Shall try the ignition when I leave work, failing that where are the relays for the PS, in the frunk?

It is an import so the delimiter/speedo conversion is also feasible

Thanks

I don't know I'm afraid - a search on here will turn up the info you need :thumleft:

It's a common problem and in most cases it can be sorted by the ignition trick.
Stealthy

Post by Stealthy »

Ok pal, will do some investigation if the ignition trick fails.

Cheers for the input :thumleft:
Mikey P MR2

Post by Mikey P MR2 »

It will defiantly be the relay its in the front trunk just under the plastic spare wheel cover on the right hand side as you look at it. It’s a metal circular thing with a plastic top from memory. Its very common fault happened on all 3 of my mr2s at some point. The ignition trick normally cures it for a while. (Its carbon build up on the contacts) unfortunaty the relay is sealed unit so not easy to get apart and clean.
Ignition trick must be done quickly about 20 to 50 times normally and solves it from anywhere from a week to 6mths depending on how bad the contacts are.
:thumleft:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

As far as I'm aware, the relay fault doesn't occur *while driving*, it prevents the P/S system from starting at ignition turn-on. It will also permanently illuminate the P/S warning light.
Stealthy

Post by Stealthy »

Cheers for your help on this people
:thumleft:

The ignition trick didn't cure it, I did try this a couple of times to no avail :(

@Toxo,
It does only happen whilst driving and the light disappears along with the rest of the lights when the car is started, if it's not overly expensive I'll change it just to rule it out of the equation.

Would I have to go direct to Toyota for the relay or are the available from other places?

Cheers

Gavin
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

ISTR they are ludicrously expensive, and if you don't have the symptoms I listed above then that's not where your problem lies.

I suppose it's possible that the fluid hasn't been changed enough and has created a small blockage somewhere but I'd expect that to create fault all the time rather than intermittently. Can you check your fluid colour, it should be gold (just pop the cap off and take a look). Just to get this straight, you never see the P/S warning light except when you first turn the key in the ignition?
Stealthy

Post by Stealthy »

Yeah, I only ever see the P/S when I first turn the key.

I just checked the colour and it is gold, I thought maybe it would be low but it reads fine on the dipstick thing on the cap.

I hate intermittent faults, right pain to diagnose. :?
Mikey P MR2

Post by Mikey P MR2 »

try and swap relays with another car just to rule it out, as they are exspencive to buy. i used to have a spare one. have seen lots of power steering problems on mr2's and its always been the relay but does sound like yours might be something else. think the relays are about 70 new but go for about £10 secondhand and are the same across all revs and models of mk2.
bass_direct

Post by bass_direct »

EDIT!

posted in wrong topic oops

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”