[Mk2] [Turbo] Aftermarket intercooler on stock set up?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

craig

[Mk2] [Turbo] Aftermarket intercooler on stock set up?

Post by craig »

I have a standard rev 3 turbo engine wise, bar Apexi filter and Apexi N1 exhaust. Stock boost.

Is it worth investing in an uprated IC on a stock engine? or is the stock IC good enough for standard except for bolt on mods like exhaust and filter?

I know the stock IC is pretty crap, but does it cope ok with a standard engine running standard 13psi boost?

Thanks.
craig

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Aftermarket intercooler on stock set up?

Post by craig »

nobody? :?
Mikey P MR2

Post by Mikey P MR2 »

Stock ic is ok but you will see a performance gain if you fit a aftermarket one even at stock boost (which will raise slightly with a aftermarket ic fitted).
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

why don't you measure intake temps when you are driving it, that way you'll know whether you need to upgrade ( for your style of driving )
craig

Post by craig »

Mikey P MR2 wrote:Stock ic is ok but you will see a performance gain if you fit a aftermarket one even at stock boost (which will raise slightly with a aftermarket ic fitted).

I'm pretty happy with the stock perfomance of the car if I'm honest.

My previous MR2 was a rev 3 turbo engined rev 2 with Apexi FC and greddy turbo.

Just can't be bothered with throwing £400 on an intercooler and getting back into the bottomless pit of engine tuning again.

The mods I have to the engine are as stated, Apexi exhaust with berk downpipe, and air filter. Just wanted to make sure the stock cooler is fine with this.

Thanks for the input so far :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

allan welsh wrote:why don't you measure intake temps when you are driving it, that way you'll know whether you need to upgrade ( for your style of driving )

I don't have the equipment to measure the intake temps mate. :(
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

yes will be fine, afterall you havent done anything with the engine to warrant uprated cooling. If you had a different turbo/ or upped the boost etc etc, then it would be needed :thumleft:

By you questioning whether it would be beneficial, without having had any bad experiences so far, then it answers your question :wink:
craig

Post by craig »

Dale_V wrote:yes will be fine, afterall you havent done anything with the engine to warrant uprated cooling. If you had a different turbo/ or upped the boost etc etc, then it would be needed :thumleft:

Cheers Dale :thumleft: Decided to keep this one pretty much standard, performance wise. Think my only mod now will be to change the Apexi N1 for a Japspeed/Motoria exhaust as I prefer the twin exit exhausts. And that's it :thumleft:

Dale_V wrote:By you questioning whether it would be beneficial, without having had any bad experiences so far, then it answers your question :wink:

A valid point sir :D
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

ijust fitted a big intercooler, turbo whistle is awsome, i'd do it for that alone!!!!
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

RedMR² wrote:
Dale_V wrote:yes will be fine, afterall you havent done anything with the engine to warrant uprated cooling. If you had a different turbo/ or upped the boost etc etc, then it would be needed :thumleft:

Cheers Dale :thumleft: Decided to keep this one pretty much standard, performance wise. Think my only mod now will be to change the Apexi N1 for a Japspeed/Motoria exhaust as I prefer the twin exit exhausts. And that's it :thumleft:

Dale_V wrote:By you questioning whether it would be beneficial, without having had any bad experiences so far, then it answers your question :wink:

A valid point sir :D

I'm taking my japspeed off :( its too loud, shame ive modified it to fit my NA, or i would have done a deal with you
craig

Post by craig »

Crap, I thought it would have been quieter than my N1 :( Oh well.

No worries dude :)
Mikey P MR2

Post by Mikey P MR2 »

sheppy wrote:ijust fitted a big intercooler, turbo whistle is awsome, i'd do it for that alone!!!!

you have a boost leak then as it shouldn't sound any different from just a new intercooler
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Mikey P MR2 wrote:
sheppy wrote:ijust fitted a big intercooler, turbo whistle is awsome, i'd do it for that alone!!!!

you have a boost leak then as it shouldn't sound any different from just a new intercooler

i don't have a boost leak, boost is the same as it was before. just can hear more turbo whistle now, i put it down to all the stainless steel pipework that came with it.
Mikey P MR2

Post by Mikey P MR2 »

Boost will still be the same as it was before on the boost gauge, if its a small leak as the turbo will be working harder to keep it at the same level. One of the pipes or the core its self will be leaking (the stock pipes are also steel and will not affect the sound). It’s very common for the joints to leak after fitting a new ic specially if you have used a xs power type kit. I would try and find the leak as you will get back a little bit more performance and save wear to your turbo. (running washing up liquid over the joints while running normally shows which ones are leaking.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

i'll have a look, my stock pipes wern't all steel though, the one going to the intercooler was rubber, i've not noticed a dip in performance, i think in fact the turbo spools quicker, i'll have a look for a leak though.
PFrazier

Post by PFrazier »

RedMR² wrote:
Cheers Dale :thumleft: Decided to keep this one pretty much standard, performance wise. Think my only mod now will be to change the Apexi N1 for a Japspeed/Motoria exhaust as I prefer the twin exit exhausts. And that's it :thumleft: A valid point sir :D

If you want a dual exit exhaust that is fairly quiet(also very well built) then spend a few bucks more and get a Berk exhaust.
craig

Post by craig »

PFrazier wrote:
RedMR² wrote:
Cheers Dale :thumleft: Decided to keep this one pretty much standard, performance wise. Think my only mod now will be to change the Apexi N1 for a Japspeed/Motoria exhaust as I prefer the twin exit exhausts. And that's it :thumleft: A valid point sir :D

If you want a dual exit exhaust that is fairly quiet(also very well built) then spend a few bucks more and get a Berk exhaust.

Not keen on the looks of the Berk exhaust, I much prefer the Japspeed.

Return to “Modifications”