[Mk2] [Turbo] Help needed regarding rev1 turbo speedo sensor

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Wingers

[Mk2] [Turbo] Help needed regarding rev1 turbo speedo sensor

Post by Wingers »

I'm struggling to get hold of a replacement speedo drive for my MR2.

I've recently taken out the original rev1 turbo box and when I tried to remove the speedo sensor, only half of it seemed to come out - it left some of the sensor still in the box (I assume the part with the plastic gear although obviously I can't see the gear). I've got no idea as to how I should get the rest out as there's not really anything to get hold of to pull it out and it's all internal so without breaking open the diff housing I don't think I can access the other end of the sensor.

I've now fitted a rev5 box and am looking for a replacement sensor. The rev5 sensor was no use because I need the older mechanical version to go with my mechanical cable/clocks but now I'm struggling to find one.
The only breakers yard I spoke to who had one claimed that there were two versions of it and they couldn't tell which one I needed. On the forums I can only seem to find N/A cars being broken at the moment and I'm told those sensors are different.

Does anyone have one from a rev1 turbo, or know if I could use one from another version (G-Limited etc.?)
Or even how to get my original part out of the gearbox?

I'm hoping to get the car running again before Xmas but currently have a rather significant hole in the side of the box so can't fill it with oil :(

Any help would be much appreciated!

Wingers
Lewis Jay

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Help needed regarding rev1 turbo speedo sensor

Post by Lewis Jay »

Hello mate,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but.....................

You will need to get a Turbo specific speedo sensor from a Rev 1 Turbo ONLY, no other sensor will fit/work.

Have you tried Toyota for a new one?

Other than that it will just mean waiting for one to come up or ring around breakers yards.

Lewis.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

IIRC you can pull the part you refer to out of the gearbox and put it in your replacement. Then line up the two teeth in the spindle and attach the outer part you have already removed.
andyc1988

Post by andyc1988 »

my speedo sensor broke aswell, I was sold a non turbo replacement and there is a big difference!! but you can buy the individual parts from the speedo sensor new ie the cog which usually snaps so it can be quite cheap to do.

this link may help you.
http://stephenmason.com/cars/mr2speedo.html#remove
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

yeah - that's quite usefull actually - I think "part D" is the bit that I have removed but "C" remained pretty firmly lodged in place. I might have another go at it if I can get over to the workshop tmrw. The trouble is that there's nothing to get a purchase on so it's a bit tricky - need a mega magnet lol.

Failing that - I might try Toyota and see how much it'll cost me for new parts A-C.
Fingers crossed...

Cheers,

Wingers
robwsurf

Post by robwsurf »

If you ve still got the electric speedo drive if you look on twobrutal theres info on how to adapt it to mechanincal operation with a £20 part from toyota or your other option is a new speedo drive for rev 1 at about £100 from toyota
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

nope - haven;t got an electronic one either :(

I'll keep looking for now if I can't get my old one apart...

Wingers
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

well after looking at the links above I worked out which bit of the sensor to pull on and it came out without any trouble. Fitted it to the new gearbox today and it all seems to turn ok. I can't test it properly until the engine's running but I'm pretty sure it's sorted so I'm happy now :)

Cheers guys :thumleft:

Wingers

Return to “Mechanical”