Airfield or Track days with large run off- i wanna loose it safely!!!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

freak_in_cage

Airfield or Track days with large run off- i wanna loose it safely!!!

Post by freak_in_cage »

There seems to be pleanty of web sites for track days- but very little info on which tracks have lots of run off!

Im looking for tracks- ideally in the south (although im prepared to travel) which i can really hammer around in my mr2- more likely losing the tail (controlling it hopefully!) and have a bit of a play.

After feeling the limits a bit i would concentrate more on my lines and some good driving.

There also doesn;t seem to be any websites devoted to airfield days- anyone know of any??
freak_in_cage

Re: Airfield or Track days with large run off- i wanna loose it safely!!!

Post by freak_in_cage »

actually looking into it, colerne airfield is near bath and looks pretty good.....
lockys96

Post by lockys96 »

javalin trackdays
Tomiam

Post by Tomiam »

Ahh, your in the south. Same as me. Ive found it a bit of a nightmare to find a decent track down here.

My first guess at a track day with plenty of run off would have been bedford autodrome. Thats a bit of a drive though.

Second would be Hullavington, which is an airfield, and if you manage to hit anything you probably left the track at 300mph+. There is HUGE run off. Ive been there and found it very good.

Motor sport events run this one.
Calender is here. http://www.motorsport-events.co.uk/calendar-2008.pdf

Unfortunately I cant see another Hullavington scheduled for this year, but if you look at the calendar you can see how regularly MSE go there.
-----------------------------------------

This is a calendar I use from time to time to see what organisers are doing what circuits.
http://www.racedays.co.uk/n_diary_list.php

Hope this helps,
lockys96

Post by lockys96 »

is it abbingdon or something which is oxford
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

Is there another day being held at Colerne this year?

I am just down the road from the and desperate for a blat in my dustbin before the end of the year.
steve b

Post by steve b »

MSE don't appreaciate people spinning, clipping cones etc so I would advise against using them if you want to try and get the back end out but don't have the confidence NOT to spin it.

They operate a "you spin you come in policy" that extends to "3+ spins thats your day over" and a "you hit a cone 20min sin bin" on events if cones get hit much. Last Colerne day I went on with them they went as far as banning anyone who hit a cone after 3pm for the rest of the day.

I can understand this its irritating when they have to bring everyone in to rebuild the track.

If you want to learn to slide about how about a drifting or "car limits" style day?
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

Well looks like Colerne have an airfield day 1st Dec. Think I might attend that one. Very local.

MSE don't appreaciate people spinning, clipping cones etc so I would advise against using them if you want to try and get the back end out but don't have the confidence NOT to spin it.

They operate a "you spin you come in policy" that extends to "3+ spins thats your day over" and a "you hit a cone 20min sin bin" on events if cones get hit much. Last Colerne day I went on with them they went as far as banning anyone who hit a cone after 3pm for the rest of the day.

I can understand it’s a hassle if they have to keep putting the cones out but it does seem slightly harsh. If they are going to be that tough then it does beg the question why the pitch these days as a way of finding the limits of your car and your ability when if you touch a cone or spin its game over?

Cheers

James
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

Have heard that Abingdon is a good one.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Tomiam

Post by Tomiam »

Went with MSE about a month ago and didnt have any issues at all.
The "spin, and you come in" policy is a good one imo. Generally speaking, if you've spun then you may have done damage to the car / collected some grass / mud etc and its worth checking.
I span once, came in, checked car, went out again straight away. No issues.

Anyone clipping a cone from 3pm onwards was banned?!! Thats harsh though.
stu b 1 tubby

Post by stu b 1 tubby »

Get over to www.carlimits.com there is an airfield day planned for friday only 38 quid. Its at North Weald near Harlow.
Mikey P MR2

Post by Mikey P MR2 »

another vote for carlimits day sounds exactly what your looking for, lots of run off no crashes todate and most poeple find the limits of their driving as the name suggests.

see

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=105592

for pics and details of the last one i attended. :thumleft:
steve b

Post by steve b »

Tomiam wrote:Went with MSE about a month ago and didnt have any issues at all.
The "spin, and you come in" policy is a good one imo. Generally speaking, if you've spun then you may have done damage to the car / collected some grass / mud etc and its worth checking.
I span once, came in, checked car, went out again straight away. No issues.

Anyone clipping a cone from 3pm onwards was banned?!! Thats harsh though.

They are fine with the odd spin, I span the MR2 twice in one trackday with them and didn't even get a comment. Guys who took out cones got treated differently, quite a telling off. In all fairness the day when they were telling people in pit lane on the way out that if they hit a cone its the end of their day the track had been closed a silly amount of times within the 1st hour of the afternoon. I can't remember if that was Abingdon or Colerne.

I love the Abingdon track as its got a nice balance of tight stuff then wide open high speed bends and its on my door step, in my mazda last month it was sideways a lot. I think with the cone thing its fair enough, cones should be treated as armco, makesure you don't push too hard through them. The wide open sweeping bends don't have cones or anything in the way, these are the areas to push harder. Such a wide area that if you do spin a) you don't hit anything cones, grass etc b) if you do ended facing backward theres so much room your easy to avoid by other people.
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
freak_in_cage

Post by freak_in_cage »

actually already done a carlimits day with Walshy- really enjoyed it- but that was 1 high speed corner

would like to practice on a variety of corners really- and combine it with some good track driving too

thanks for the links- will look into these! :D
xanthus400

Post by xanthus400 »

try Bruntingthorpe in leicestershire they might do somthing i know they do the corporate days and possibly track days. i think you can even hire it for the day but thats alot of pennies ive done the whole track on me bike for a charity do which included the 2 mile straight but the car track may be shorter ..... im not sure never done it me 2 bit a way to travel but worth a check on the internet. And (if ure into that sort of thing) there a a load of raf jets to have gander at vulcan bomber about 5 bae lightnings heard them test the engines f**king hell it was loud. Anyway worth a gander at mate might do something for you
CM1GT

Post by CM1GT »

ok i'm gonna throw a spanner in the works here and say its quality rather than quantity of run off which is important, go to a 'real' track and you'll find purpose built run offs and no cones, go to an airfield and it can be like speeding through a contraflow, i've span off in several cars on several tracks and never suffered anything bigger than a bruised ego, i span off once on an airfield and suffered a destroyed exhaust, car covered in cone paint and acquired so much moss i'm still digging it out now

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”