RE: Replacing Wheel Bearings??

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Yanni

RE: Replacing Wheel Bearings??

Post by Yanni »

Getting a dull "whiring" noise from the rear of my car, particularly noticable around the 70 mph mark or at slow speeds. Seems to be a rotational thing so I'm guessing along the lines of wheel bearings!

Are these difficult to replace?? Changed suspension, disks etc before and am willing to have a go, as long as its not a major job.

Anyone think it could be something else?? :-k

TIA,
Ian
nutter

Re: RE: Replacing Wheel Bearings??

Post by nutter »

Hi Ian,

Do a search on wheel bearings, it seems everyone's are going lately!
eddy simpson

bearings

Post by eddy simpson »

Thats the spirit mate give it a go. If you have tackled the suspension before this will be no probs.
remove the hub and ask your local garage to press the bearing out then fit new one :wink:
Sharpfish

Post by Sharpfish »

Hi guys. Mk1 SC owner here, I've got to get my front wheel bearing sorted for the MOT in the next couple of days. I have a blueprint wheel bearing kit that has the bearing, some grease and a new ring/seal. In the BGB it shows also a new "inner race" and "o-ring" for the hub seal. I was planning on taking it to the local garage (the steering knuckle) to get them to swap it over - will the contents of that kit be suffice? Maybe they have generic o-rings if need be I guess but this is NOT MRT we are talking about.

Also, as many people have taken just the hub/knuckle to a garage, is this generally with the rear hub cover on (the one that the BGB suggests taking a hammer and chisel to) making it a two part removal process for the garage - or have these people stripped it down completely ready to press in / out.

The problem is I have no vice.. and little time!

I have lowered my suspension and done and engine swap before (both on my own) so I know a couple of things about mk1s - but have been out of the MR2 loop for a while and feel rusty (no pun intended) on the mechanical side, and I know virtually nothing about wheel bearings except for what I read in the BGB.

cheers for any advice.
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

They can be a b1tch to get out and fit sometimes, I have warped a hub before using the press to put one in.

Graeme
JohnA

Post by JohnA »

The 'dull whirring' you describe, mine does something very similar (choosing to ignore it for the moment) I don't think it's the bearings though as it only happens while I am 'on the gas' just coasting it seems to dissapear.

Don't want you to do a whole lot of work to find out you fixed something that wasn't broken.

Return to “Mechanical”