[Mk2] [Turbo] 37mpg Tubby = very boring journey!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mattcambs

[Mk2] [Turbo] 37mpg Tubby = very boring journey!

Post by mattcambs »

Did a round trip today from Saffron Walden to Tewkesbury which was exactly 320 miles.

I managed this from one brimmed tank. I've just brimmed it back up and the pump (at the same station) clicked at 39.3 litres.

(320/39.3)*4.54 = 37mpg!

Didn't think this was possible, but I drove pretty much the whole journey in negative vacuum and stuck to 70mph.

Very boring journey :lol:
paul port

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] 37mpg Tubby = very boring journey!

Post by paul port »

Very surprised @ 70MPH....
the only time I've been anywhere near that was following Rogue towing a race car! And that was ~55 most of the way.
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

best I have ever had was 340m/45l = 34mpg and that was at 60mph all the way shifting at 2.5k and no boost at all and that was with spot on fuelling IE new pump fuel filter matched and flowed injectors and brand new ignition components to boot.

This is with a rev2 though and yours is a rev3.......What ECU are you running? I know 2crooky with his after market ECU mapped properly gave him a big boost to his fuel economy.
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

The only error can be the pump clicking off too soon when I re-filled. I went to the same station, but used a different pump. I even [nerd alert] made sure I held the nozzle in the filler neck at the same angle!

Also, I can't emphasize enough how much like a granny I drove it :lol: The journey itself, once I hit the M11 was practically non-stop 70mph all the way - M11/A14/M6/M42/M5.

I normally get about 28 - 32mpg as I don't drive that hard and often have my very own human speed limiter on board. i.e. the wife :wink:
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

Tiny wrote:best I have ever had was 340m/45l = 34mpg and that was at 60mph all the way shifting at 2.5k and no boost at all and that was with spot on fuelling IE new pump fuel filter matched and flowed injectors and brand new ignition components to boot.

This is with a rev2 though and yours is a rev3.......What ECU are you running? I know 2crooky with his after market ECU mapped properly gave him a big boost to his fuel economy.

Yeah, Rev3 with stock ECU, airbox (Blitz panel filter) and CAT in place. Engine has done just over 80k miles, but maybe has better than average leak down?
3sgte

Post by 3sgte »

I recently got 34 mpg from my tubby on a 400mile trip staying at 70mph all the way ,that is with a tuned powerfc though
Moo

Post by Moo »

That's great mileage Matt :thumleft:

I managed 30mpg a few weeks ago on a similarly mind numbingly boring journey :lol:
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

Moo wrote:That's great mileage Matt :thumleft:

I managed 30mpg a few weeks ago on a similarly mind numbingly boring journey :lol:

Cheers, Paul :thumleft:

But only 30mpg? Come on mate, need to try harder :lol: :lol:

:wink: only kidding :D
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

Yeah I'm sure it was a very dull drive. I think it could be possible to get in the mid 30's mpg with a rev 3 turbo but I'd never have the patience to do it. I get about 25-27 mpg with mixed driving with the odd boosting which I think is reasonable.

Did anyone see Top Gear tonight? They showed Clarkson drive an Audi 4 litre V12 turbodiesel all the way from London to Edinburgh and back again on one tank (worked out to 40mpg). I found it very hard to believe considering the low fuel light came on about 80 miles from London. The gauge was right on empty for ages. Also, I can't see that driving at 1200rpm can be doing the engine any good whatsoever as it must be straining.
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

yeah, I remember that episode. Good TV, but only because the empty light was on for so long. That Audi must have a big tank :lol:
Moo

Post by Moo »

mattcambs wrote:
Moo wrote:That's great mileage Matt :thumleft:

Cheers, Paul :thumleft:

But only 30mpg? Come on mate, need to try harder :lol: :lol:

:wink: only kidding :D

:oldtongue: :lol:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Best I ever got was 25mpg but it did include 5 runs at Santa Pod.

All the way there and back though I drove like saint.

I can see more of these threads popping up what with the price of petrol ](*,)
lukem

Post by lukem »

dawolf wrote:

Did anyone see Top Gear tonight? They showed Clarkson drive an Audi 4 litre V12 turbodiesel all the way from London to Edinburgh and back again on one tank (worked out to 40mpg). I found it very hard to believe considering the low fuel light came on about 80 miles from London. The gauge was right on empty for ages. Also, I can't see that driving at 1200rpm can be doing the engine any good whatsoever as it must be straining.

all of these top gear 'challenges' are partially rigged to give a more entertaining outcome for the viewer.
mrfil13

Post by mrfil13 »

i managed 37mpg in my rev2 tubby when i first got it, drove like a gran all the way up the M1. Once off the M1 and on the yorkshire moors i wasn't so granish :)
L0rdMike

Post by L0rdMike »

Have had 41mpg out of my Rev3 Turbo before :oops: :oops: :oops:
zak_godsell

Post by zak_godsell »

best i got out of my old rev 3 was 32mpg on the way up to totb last year
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

L0rdMike wrote:Have had 41mpg out of my Rev3 Turbo before :oops: :oops: :oops:

:shock: Bloody hell :shock:

You win
SySanguinary
IMOC Committee

Post by SySanguinary »

Just been up to Scotland for a week. I must say I was impressed at how the tubby loved the long distances. I went from Manchester to Fort William on one tank (just) travelling at around 65. I managed a smidge over 35 mpg.
Having some fun up there the milage dropped to between 21 and 27 mpg. On the way home though I took it really carefully, leaving Applecross late on, filling up again at Fort William. I got down to Lancaster with half a tank left but then got bored... I had to ease of again at Bolton as the needle was fast approaching empty though!
irish_dan

Post by irish_dan »

Regarding the Audi with the large reserve tank....my mate has a 1.3 litre Corolla that managed a hundred miles on the reserve! He free wheels alot though and rarely goes above 50....boring but he's usually skint! Needs the petrol to last as long as possible.

#-o

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”