Trackday Prep

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

tom_snelling

Trackday Prep

Post by tom_snelling »

Getting more and more convinced my 2 will very soon be a track day car.

What should I be looking to replace?

I have some P.I. suspension on its way, and I have some 15" Team Dynamic Monzas on the car now.

I have an air filter I need to finish fitting, and I am going to head over to Powerflow at some point to try and sort a more free flowing exhaust.

I intend to strip the car out the day before the track day and stick it back in if I feel like it.

I am going to get tracking/balancing/alignment done, any bushes that are well worth doing?

Also I dont have a front strut brace, not sure why maybe to do with it being an early mk1a?

I am also on the look out for an aftermarket steering wheel, the standard one is tooo huuuge!!!
Speedy

Re: Trackday Prep

Post by Speedy »

If nothing else, check the brakes. Take the calipers off the sliders and re-grease. Look to replace the pads with something a bit more up to the job (plenty of people will have opinions on that one).

If money is no object, then get some Carbotechs :+:
tonigmr2 wrote:Fear me, for I am watching :clown:
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

As above.

If you haven't got money to burn, then try EBC Yellowstuff

Also I recommend fluid changes:
brake fluid (flush and use dot 5.1) also oil change
MartG

Post by MartG »

tom_snelling wrote:Also I dont have a front strut brace, not sure why maybe to do with it being an early mk1a?

Only T-bar cars came with a strutbrace as standard :wink:

As above, make sure your brakes are sorted
System-G

Post by System-G »

Didn't realise PI do full suspension... I thought it was only springs. If it is only springs, I would suggest KYB shocks as a minimum or if the budget is there Koni Adjustables.

Some people don't like PI springs as they are progressively wound. I personally prefer them over linear wound springs.

Brakes as above. Although I'd also look at braided hoses (although not a showstopper).

It is best to replace all bushes - also check balljoints.

To do later if the bug catches you:
Bucket seats
Harnesses
Take out more weight
Master cylinder brace
Track tyres

And don't forget
HAVE FUN :mrgreen:
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

If you're set on a powerflow system, make sure they don't make it too loud. :thumleft:
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

mr2mk1chick wrote:As above.

If you haven't got money to burn, then try EBC Yellowstuff

Also I recommend fluid changes:
brake fluid (flush and use dot 5.1) also oil change

oh yeah - clutch fluid change too if you CBA
crazybrightman

Post by crazybrightman »

if youn do nothing else sort the brakes and make sure the engines in good health especialy the oil and coolant system. theres nothing worse than fried brakes on a track, sliding around and not being the fatest car is all part of the fun so dont worry about that too much.
as for powerflow well i dont know why they have powerin their name :-k then again they may have improved since they first started out.
neil c

Post by neil c »

i'd recomend ap racing 551 racing brake fluid for the track, my dad uses it in his mk1 that we both use solely for trackdays. we flushed the system out yesterday and replaced with new stuff and the old fluid coming out still looked fine. the old stuff had been in for about 11 trackdays around angelsey and oulton park. and oulton is definately hard on brakes! never had a problem with the stuff. :thumleft:
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

Reading the post I'm not sure about the answer but have you been on trackdays before? forgive me if you have.

Just think that the list is a bit exteme if you've no experience of trackdays in the mk1, you may decide that it's not for you.

If you haven't, Just give the car a bloody good service and get out there. At least you'll know the good that all the upgrades have achieved :)

Stuart
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

Jaspa wrote:Reading the post I'm not sure about the answer but have you been on trackdays before? forgive me if you have.

Just think that the list is a bit exteme if you've no experience of trackdays in the mk1, you may decide that it's not for you.

If you haven't, Just give the car a bloody good service and get out there. At least you'll know the good that all the upgrades have achieved :)

Stuart

I completely disagree ^^

Even if you haven't done a track day before, you definately need to ensure your car is fit for purpose and safe for the track.
I consider it unsafe to have crappy brakes, and most MK1's that have not had a brake service in a while would fall into this category.
Also, why ruin a day by only getting in a few laps before you cook your pads to death and have to retire?
And - why chance not being able to stop? this could mean a big crash for an inexperience person (or anyone really)

essential list:
1) brakes - decent pads is a must, check calipers a free moving on the slides, maybe a fluid change
2) check oil levels (change if you want - good for big ends if you do)
3) check coolant (change if you CBA)
4) check tyre pressures and tread depth

not really needed:
I wouldn't bother stripping out
front strut brace is okay, but not needed for fisrt time out
air filter and other mods not needed
smaller steering wheel is a nice option
no need for fancy wheels or tyres - just something that dosn't resemble ditch finders
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

Jaspa wrote:

Stuart

mr2mk1chick wrote:
essential list:
1) brakes - decent pads is a must, check calipers a free moving on the slides, maybe a fluid change
2) check oil levels (change if you want - good for big ends if you do)
3) check coolant (change if you CBA)
4) check tyre pressures and tread depth

not really needed:
I wouldn't bother stripping out
front strut brace is okay, but not needed for fisrt time out
air filter and other mods not needed
smaller steering wheel is a nice option
no need for fancy wheels or tyres - just something that dosn't resemble ditch finders

Thats exactly what I meant, guess i didn't word it particularily well :)
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
kirsty

Post by kirsty »

Mine hasn't had anything major done to it - just properly serviced before going on track.

I don't have 'better' pads or 5.1 fluid, and it's not been an issue for me.

Maybe it's best just to do a good service, track it and see how you feel. Then you can decide what you do need.

Kirsty

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”