[Mk2] [Turbo] Dilemma

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

lehem

[Mk2] [Turbo] Dilemma

Post by lehem »

In two minds whether to do a V6 conversion on our MR2 or sell it as it is and V6 a standard MR2 on the cheap.

Or not bother at and sell our MR2 and the camry and not have the problem of deciding.

I really fancy hearing the noise a six banger will make but unsure it will be money well spent.

We just need some convincing. HELP!
Quigonjay

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Dilemma

Post by Quigonjay »

James Junior

Post by James Junior »

Is any of the money we pour into our cars ever 'money well spent'?! :pale:

Why not write down a realistic budget of the total costs, compare that with the state of your finances and see if you can justify it?

Maybe try and get a test drive in a V6 before you decide so you know what to expect? If you were going to get Woodsport to do the conversion I believe they have a demo car.

If you can't afford it then don't do it otherwise it will just become a burden and you will resent it.
lehem

Post by lehem »

The test drive sounds like a great idea. Anyone in Cornwall mind taking me out? :pray:

We're off to our mechanic in a bit to pick ours up from having some archwork, no doubt he will try to convince us to V6 ours.
James Junior

Post by James Junior »

I would definitely want a test drive before committing to such a financial outlay.
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

not to mention it completely changes the charicteristics of the car ie lighting up the rear tyres at 2.5k very easily in the dry Get a test drive
splashnatz

Post by splashnatz »

profile shows you've got a tubby - why change to a v6 ?

is your engine dead or something ? would probably still be cheaper to get a rebuild than a transplant.
lehem

Post by lehem »

Tubby engine is great, no problems at all. But a V6, in a two has gotta be done, hasnt it?

I was hoping to sell the tubby engine to help fund the conversion if we went ahead with it.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”