Sump Removal Main Bearings & Big Ends

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

phaeton

Sump Removal Main Bearings & Big Ends

Post by phaeton »

Bought a MK1 T-Bar knowing that there was something wrong with the engine & the existing owner says he can't start it. So got it back home & started to look for problems, got spark, got fuel & it was making what appeared to be an effort to start. Put the jump leads on to give it that extra boost & it fired & ran. Unfortunately it sounds like a bag of marbles, I suspect the bigs & possibly the mains have gone. Is it possible to remove them from underneath via the sump?

What is also annoying is the last time I had a MK1 about 3 years ago I had a good spare engine that went on fleecebay & I got all of 99p for it. Anyone got a cheap engine going?

Alan...
System-G

Re: Sump Removal Main Bearings & Big Ends

Post by System-G »

Getting at the bearings is best to go via the sump route :thumleft:

If they need replacing, check the caps for bearing sizes etc... and get new ones from Toyota. You'll also want to check the crank is not scoured or damaged, if it is you'll to get it replaced or re-honed (or whatever they call it > I have brain freeze ATM ](*,) )

Remember to flush the engine and clean out the oil cooler otherwise the swarf will just mash the new bearings imediately.
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
phaeton

Post by phaeton »

Thanks for that, that was the answer I was looking for, just need to finish the kitchen before I'm allowed to go play.

Alan...
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

If you just want to have play around to have look, then you can go via the sump etc.

But, if the car sounded so bad and didn't run, my guess is that the crank will be chewed to bits. When our crank was beyond help the car could still be driven (sounding awful as well though)

An engine swap will prob be the cheaper option if you can do the work yourself (with help on here). We sourced all the parts to do our big ends, plus oil, filter etc and it was more like £160 (and it failed again after all the work cause the crank was too bad, but we were in a major rush), whereas you can take a punt at an engine on fleabay for <£100
Adam W

Post by Adam W »

I would agree with the above; when bearings are knocking or spinning the crank will get chewed up very quickly. It's very likely that you will need to remove the engine to either remove and regrind the crank, or to replace the whole engine. Under the circumstances, taking the sump off to have a look is probably an unneccessary step as it is very unlikely you will be able to effect a reliable repair without further work.
phaeton

Post by phaeton »

Must admit I was in two minds about just throwing some shells in or trying to get hold of another engine. I think the another engine route is probably best, as I said in the original post I let one go a few years ago after it made 99p in ebay. There doesn't appear to be any on there at the moment, except 1 for £180 which I thought was a bit steep until I contacted a guy who's scrapping another & he wanted £200. Am I just being a tight wad or are they being overly optimistic?

Edit:- Would it be best to put an ad in the wanted or best just putting a post in the MR2 MK1 Club Section?

Alan...
ligertigon

Post by ligertigon »

Buy some plastiguage.

Check bearing tolerances,

and if the journal seems bad, replace engine.

It costs nothing to look except an hour, very easy job especially if you have drive up ramps, the exhaust doesn't even neen to come off.
phaeton

Post by phaeton »

ligertigon wrote:Buy some plastiguage.

New one on me, what is it, what's it for?

Alan...
ligertigon

Post by ligertigon »

http://www.plastigauge.co.uk/how.html

Basically measures the clearance within the bearing, so you know if it is in or out of spec.

You will also need a torque wrench
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

ligertigon wrote:Buy some plastiguage.

Check bearing tolerances,

and if the journal seems bad, replace engine.

It costs nothing to look except an hour, very easy job especially if you have drive up ramps, the exhaust doesn't even neen to come off.

I know you can check to see how bad the big end bearings are, but the point i was trying to make was that the cost of even doing just the shells (was £160 for us) was more than the cost of another engine.

you would hope to get an engine for ~£100, maybe £150 at a push - depends on how fussy you are regarding mileage etc
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

phaeton wrote:ad in the wanted or best just putting a post in the MR2 MK1 Club Section?

Alan...

Please put ad in the wanted section
phaeton

Post by phaeton »

Done a deal on an engine from a crashed car, so it's engine swap & then I can look at the old one at my leisure, thanks for the input folks,

Alan...
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

Brill :thumleft:
keep us posted on how you get on
boyzdad

Post by boyzdad »

Hello, I was looking seriously at that car ;) I was interested in the leather seats :)

I am going thro the same pain atm, I recently brought a nice black MK1a, only about a week ago, sounded fine on the test drive........ got 30 miles, oil pressure dropped, started to rattle.

I dropped the sump yesterday, had to remove the exhaust, it took about an hour, it's had chewed up the bearings :( Not too impressed, was told "the engine is a goodun, it's only done about 40K, it may even be a low milage import"......... Feel a bit of an idiot for not checking it more.

Oh, and the brakes started to bind as well, so half way home the pedal went to the floor! Not the best purchase I have made. I sorted the brakes ok, freed up the front calipers and put new pads in. At least the body work is very nice, all rear arches replaced, I still think it's worth the money (may not feel the same after 2 more days of engine work!).

Anyway, I have a spare engine, so I am in the process of putting the head of the dead one onto the block of my good 1 the old one was smoking, but the bores are in good condition, so am hoping it's a valve guide/seal problem.

At least you knew what you were getting!

Good luck, you are not alone, please cross your fingers for me tomorrow that it dosn't rain in Coventry (doing the car on my drive)!

Regards

MATT! :)
phaeton

Post by phaeton »

Matt,

I feel your pain on that one, as you say I at least knew it was a dead 'un, I'd have been tempted to go back with yours I know private sales are 'sold as seen' but 30 miles. Seller still has a duty to provide goods fit for purpose, but it would depend on what the advert actually said.

Anyway I have a supplementary question, as the plasterer is in the kitchen today I can't do anything so playtime on the MR2. Thought I may as well start to remove some auxiliaries to help get the engine/box out. Came across 2 cut pipes on the thermostat housing the smaller on on the right of this photo is easy as it looks like a 3" section has been removed, but where does the other one on the left go the large one.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j81/g ... C00190.jpg

Cheers

Alan...
jimi

Post by jimi »

That goes to the radiator. Joins to the metal pipe running under the car.
Jimi
phaeton

Post by phaeton »

Yep, thanks for that, now found the other end, pipes been cut so not sure what's happening there, maybe somebody had started to take the engine out.

Alan...
phaeton

Post by phaeton »

As I have no idea about this 2nd hand engine other than it was running, thought I would put a new cambelt on, check the mains & big ends. So, had a go at getting the crankshaft pulley off the other day & couldn't stop the engine turning so it didn't loosen. Tried today with an impact driver (110V) thinking that might shock it loose, no joy at all. Any suggestions.
Alan...
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Didn't see it at the time, but if you ever have to change the ends again..

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/kb.php?mode=article&k=99
tonigmr2 wrote:Fear me, for I am watching :clown:
phaeton

Post by phaeton »

Thanks for the response, I have seen that but currently the engine is sat on a bench, intended to do the belt, check the bearing & tart it up a bit before putting it into the car.

Alan...

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”