the WORST modification thread

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

kevin..in

Re: the WORST modification thread

Post by kevin..in »

WeirdNeville wrote:Using the resources at my disposal, here are my entries to this thread:

Please note! Click on pics to see more of each car, but I CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CONTENT! I would not advise browsing at work for example!

That'll do for now....

OK now you're into dodgy terratory

First car won best modified at JAE '04 I think!!

peppermint one while not to everybodys taste has loads of exellently engineered mods, its owner Matt Dixey was one a member here MrDix

Karmeleons love or hate 'em there are some owners here, even Mr Woods once converted one :wink:
WeirdNeville

Post by WeirdNeville »

kevin..in wrote:OK now you're into dodgy terratory

Heh heh. Barryboys always gets them talking!

kevin..in wrote:First car won best modified at JAE '04 I think!!

ORLY? What is the purpose of the bonnet lump? If it's room for an extra engine I'll hand it to the guy, but realistically I can't see any improvement in looks or function.

kevin..in wrote:peppermint one while not to everybodys taste has loads of exellently engineered mods
I'll admit it's not the worst, but the rear lights and wheels are uncalled for IMO.

kevin..in wrote:Karmeleons love or hate 'em there are some owners here, even Mr Woods once converted one :wink:

I'll stick to hating them thanks. I mean, WHAT were they smoking?

:lol:

Please, only take the post above in jest. I think MK1's are pretty much the hardest cars to improve the looks of. No bodykit apart from some of the subtle Jap ones seems to complement their shape. Overall they're best left alone looks wise IMO. IMO.
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Overall they're best left alone looks wise IMO.

Agreed :+:
tonigmr2 wrote:Fear me, for I am watching :clown:
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

my personal choice would be an immaculate standard looking car with some quality handling/stopping and go faster mods
but then body mods and strange paint are popular
each to their own :wink:
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

my personal choice would be an immaculate standard looking car with some quality handling/stopping and go faster mods

Sleepers are cool, that's what I tried to do with the supercharger :+:
tonigmr2 wrote:Fear me, for I am watching :clown:
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

Speedy wrote:

Sleepers are cool, that's what I tried to do with the supercharger :+:

yep sleepers but I though I was the only one who ever used that term so didn't type it #-o
phaeton

Post by phaeton »

Sleepers might be cool but I still say sleepy eyes are naff.

Alan...
Sharpfish

Post by Sharpfish »

Karmeleon = :sick: - I agree with the poster further up, it looked like the designers took some spare plasic from an industrial refrigerator manufacturers factory and glued them on to look as daft as possible. I don't know how anyone can rate it highly.

The problem with sleepy eyes is that it just looks like the lights are not working properly (and they are pointing down at the floor) - they don't even look good, it just looks like the owner is embarrassed about pop up lights in which case they should do a proper swap for sealed units or not buy a pop up lights car in the first place

Unless you are talking about the proper fitted shorter lights which look better - either way, esp on the mk1, the full pop up height is the best and is part of it's DNA... like MOST aspects of the mk1 it just doesn't need changing nor can it be improved with simple parts/add ons, and imo it doesn't need them other than some mild cleaning up/modernising in certain areas (clear indicator lights, rear bumper lower smoothing if you can, possibly de-striping/de badging of loud 'TOYOTA' logos if that's not your thing).

A lot of these mods are stuff people do just because they can/are bored with a car and want to personlise it, I did some mad stuff to my old Carlton (it had a factory bodykit though and looked quite decent at the time) but it never looked completely out of place or wacky as a lot of MK1 mr2 mods do. And that's why people should get their 'body mod' phase over and done with on normal / max power cars before buying a mk1 mr2 as you are doing nothing to improve it by sticking on a karmeleon or sleepy eyes.

All imo, but at 34 I have the hindsight to realise that certain things I did in the past were really not called for and were done just because I could but most people were probably shaking their head in pity for me when I drove past (not MR2 as I've never done ANY wild mods to them).
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Well ive built two karmeleons for customers and i hated them both,horrendous things! each to their own.

I think my original mk1 turbo won best modified in 2004? or was it 2003? cant remember! here she was anyway....

greglebon

Post by greglebon »

Has anyone noticed the red car above....(not Pauls.. :D : the one in Nevs post.. :wink: )....and wondered how those wheels are gonna come off (or on, for that matter..?) without removing the panels....? :D

Please dont say that those are trims stuck on.........?? :roll:

Per-leeeese......... #-o
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

PW@Woodsport wrote:Well ive built two karmeleons for customers and i hated them both,horrendous things! each to their own.

I think my original mk1 turbo won best modified in 2004? or was it 2003? cant remember! here she was anyway....

from the MK1 Club site
2004 best modified Gary Brown (red and muraled car!)
there is a pic of you Paul recieving a trophy in 2003 best modified?
your turbo was yellow then!

PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

ah yes 2003 it was..... crap memory!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

PW@Woodsport wrote:Well ive built two karmeleons for customers and i hated them both,horrendous things! each to their own.

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://url.photobucket.com/albums/v624/ ... eshot2.jpg

It was alright that one Paul, apart from teh daft 17" wheels. :tongue:
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

ta lauren,a lot of work went into that...its a fine line between tastefully modified and a chav chariot.As i get older im finding mods i did in the past aren't my taste anymore,in ten years time i might even have standardisbetter in my sig :D

The 17s were a necessity to house the st205 brake upgrade which in turn were a necessity to stop the 3sgte motor,it trammed a little but otherwise felt good,probably crap on track i never got to find out.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”