Mk1b speakers

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ben

Mk1b speakers

Post by Ben »

Are there any decent speakers that will fit in the standard holes? My dash speakers make the trim vibrate and the rear ones are tinny to say the least... :?
mosguido

Re: Mk1b speakers

Post by mosguido »

i used to run boston acoustics s45 speakers in the front (4inch) off an amplifier, along with a kicker 8inch sub behind passenger seat amped also. Disconnected the rear speakers as they are next to useless, and it sounded pretty good. Any reasonably decent 4-inch speakers in the front, even running off the head unit will sound a mile better than the standard units, and better still running from an amp. thats my two cents anyway :)

at the ages our cars are at im surprised the standard ones are even working anyway, all mine have been beaten to hell..

Guy
WeirdNeville

Post by WeirdNeville »

You need 4" full range speakers. If you're planning on running them off the head unit I'd spend no more than around £40.

Personally I'd say these Hertz 4" co-axials would be on the money for £40 but check out the range here to see what fits your budget.

4" speakers can sound awesome, but they're unlikely to in the dash of the MK1 unless you sound deaden, seal the fronts of the speakers from the backs (they float free in the dash which is a big no-no for good sounds) and IMO amplify them too.
The rears are not really worth bothering with IMO. Try fading them right down with your new fronts and see if you miss them. They're in the wrong place, totally un-sealed and will generally just make the stereo louder but worse sounding.
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

I use infinity kappa series 4" in the front and 3.5" in the rear, there great little speakers with external crossovers. I run them with a 30% fade to the front. Only down side is they have no bass so i run a alpine swe-1000 which is loads better then the old alpine swd-1600 i use to have.

The reason i would keep the rears is without them the sound is too far forward, the fronts are too far away and pointing upwards, the rears give you a better sound stage IMO.
waynestoyotamr2

Post by waynestoyotamr2 »

On my recently acquired Mk1, the speakers were crackling like hell, I replaced the front ones with some 4" (I think) Clarion ones I got off ebay for £9.99 delivered - they were 80w and customisable, so I could snap off the two other arms to make them fit. Its made a slight improvement, but the rear ones need addressing now. Anyone know what size I need for the rear? and how do the speakers come out?
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

There 3.5" in the rear. The grill doesnt come off so you have to remove the whole trim which involves removing the seat belt mount, and a few screws here and there.
Tom G

Post by Tom G »

personally I wouldn't bother with the rear ones, just disconnect them, they'll have an even worse dynamic range than the front speakers!
As there's no way you'll get bass from front or rear speakers, only way to improve the system really is to add a sub and run the front speakers through a high-pass filter (e.g. inline capacitor).
My 4" JBLs are pretty strong on mid-bass and mid-range for their size, and are happy with my 2x80w rms kicker amp. I have a pair for £10 delivered if anyone's interested :-)

1987 Mk1.5, CT20b, LSD, Chargecooled, 260...290bhp (est)
2003 330ci M-sport
1995 Polo 1.3CL

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”