SC folding mirrors

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

HT

SC folding mirrors

Post by HT »

noticed a set here for sale: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-85-8 ... 0242414229

Has anyone figured out the wiring to retro-fit a set??
Charged
IMOC Committee

Re: SC folding mirrors

Post by Charged »

Possibly Crazylegs. He took my old set last year.
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
BIGBOBO

Post by BIGBOBO »

No offense but isn't 600$ a bit to much for a couple of mirrors?

Maybe if you live on a very small street and they get hit weekly?
autobody
Premium Member

Post by autobody »

Here may be some cheaper ones..... only on for $160 usd and i think he will ship to the UK.... save your self some money and bid on these :thumleft:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-MR2- ... m245.l1318
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

The prices do seem steep - i would have thought around the £100-120 mark would be about right.
The best way is to buy an sc (or import N/A) with them on already :thumleft:
BMR2L

Post by BMR2L »

I got a spare a couple of months ago for a tenner on Yahoo which was admittedly a bit of a steal.

There's a pair on at the moment, making about 30 quid, ending tomorrow.

http://page8.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h65828063

Unfortunately without the control box and the remote control with the extra retract button, for some reason domestic breakers rarely include those.

-AL
TbarTurbo

Post by TbarTurbo »

Well i just paid way over the odds for mine... £180 posted. complete with switches, control box, and wiring.

Then i offered them to somebody else as i smashed my rc heli up, and they told me they paid £40 for the last pair and that mk2 retract units fit the mk1... so now i have a pair of mirrors ill never sell or use for fear of breaking!

Cars and parts are my worst enemy sometimes!
waynestoyotamr2

Post by waynestoyotamr2 »

I was getting pairs of these mirrors + switch + relay almost weekly from Japan 4 years or so ago - didnt sell a single pair of them for £300! So I must of been giving them away!!!
Paff

Post by Paff »

I'd love to know where they got them for £40. They are fairly rare and even non retract mirrors can fetch that.

Not saying the couldn't have got them that cheap but the whole reason I never tried to fit some to my mk1 was cos I couldn't justify the pice for the gimmick factor.

Tom it was the mirrors you have now after Jon smashed the SC and got the mk2 that I was wanting to buy.
Sharpfish

Post by Sharpfish »

I've got some of these from my original 89 SC!!!!!

I'm still planning to re-use them on a future mk1 (if I can actually FIND ONE worth buying for non-stupid prices). Otherwise I may end up selling on. I love em, not even because of the retract but because of the shape, they just look more funky/exotic to me though it's open to debate whether the more angular ones are more in keeping with the mk1s overall design... I've actually got a spare set of those too.

Anyway, I have the control box, the retract switch etc AND I know the wiring. It took me AGES to work it all out after I removed them from my original (written off) SC for fitting into an NA (multimeter/trial and error and BGB wiring diagrams). When I cut them out of my current 2 (to be scrapped) I made sure to cut enough off the UK looms so they are basically all set / coded up ready to fit!

I may dig out the info one day on fitting them but it's quite convoluted trying to explain it over the net and I don't have time right now.
BMR2L

Post by BMR2L »

Not just a gimmick over here. Both my home and work parking spaces are in double-decker parking machines and the car doesn't fit without folding the mirrors in. So quite practical really to avoid the hassle of getting out and folding them in manually.
TbarTurbo

Post by TbarTurbo »

paff i wasnt referring to you paying 40 for them previously ;)

sharpfish: those wiring diagrams would be proper usefull, maybe i could put together a wiring how too guide if you pm more info so i can fit mine ;)
Sharpfish

Post by Sharpfish »

I'll take a look at them this weekend, they are sitting in the garage with NA wire dangling off them so it shouldn't be too hard to match sc colour > na colour if I write down what I had, I think I may have had a few custom wires going to power somewhere too which is where it get's tricky but don't quote me as it was in 2001 when I originally fitted them!

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”