My first MR2... a few questions!

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ben

My first MR2... a few questions!

Post by Ben »

So...
i picked up my first two a week ago, for the princely sum of 650 quid. It does need a bit of work though, so here's a few questions...
It seems to be using a bit of brake fluid. I'm going to get all the wheels off tomorrow and inspect the calipers and hoses, but is there anywhere else likely to have caused the problem? The pedal feels firm, and the car doesn't pull to one side under heavy braking.
The temperature gauge seems to come and go at random. Fluid level is fine, so is this likely to be a dodgey connection somewhere, or a problem with the sensor?
And finally... what is the recommended tyre pressures? Its running on 14s at the mo.
Any help would be really appreciated!
Ben
BIGBOBO

Re: My first MR2... a few questions!

Post by BIGBOBO »

Recomended tire pressure is 1.8 at the front and 2.0 at the rear.

You should increase it you're carrying a lot or planning to go very fast. I don't have the owner's manual with me but I think it states something like this:

Add 0.2 for speeds above 100mph

Add 0.2 for loaded boots

Add another 0.2 for heavily loaded boots.

I keep mine at 2.0 and 2.2 most of the time.
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

Hi, are you sure its brake fluid it is using and not clutch fluid. It is rare for the brakes to leak but have no obvious signs. the clutch slave cylinder however can leak and not be noticed. have a quick look at the slave cylinder on top of the gearbox.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Pretty sure its not the clutch, it was replaced shortly before i bought the car, and as far as i know the brakes were bled at the same time. I've had the car a week, and the fluid dropped enough for the dash warning light to come on. I topped it up this morning and the light has gone out again, so i'll keep an eye and see the fluid levels drop again, and inspect the calipers and hoses in the meantime.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

the random temperature gauge readings might be because the temp gauge sensor connector is clogged up. the connector is just above the alternator. If you take it off and clean it, it should get better. just dont break it.
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

check to see the fluid is not dripping into the front boot area. it will lift the paint and allow rust to creep in.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”