[Mk2] [NA] Earth problem?

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mrd-mr2

[Mk2] [NA] Earth problem?

Post by mrd-mr2 »

my first time on these boards ...

my door electrics go through a weird sequence too even when door is open... but that is'nt all.... please read on...

I got my car in dec 07, drove it for about 6 weeks and decided to have a look at driver side window mechanisim, It didnt work when i bought it..
anyway after looking inside i decided it was a new window/arm/structure needed, i put all back together and left it at that....

some days later going to work... it shut itself down... all electrics went off...and wouldnt start again...dash never lit up....got towed home....
recharged battery, installed battery night before work .. again broke down ... same problem...
friend suggested starter replacement because on getting the car home 2nd time, tried ignition, dash lit up but starter making clicking noise.......found out later that clicking noise is not enough power to drive the starter....
replacement starter installed!....
after leaving car some weeks, i charged battery and she fired up, but now ive got this electrical locking sequence going on now am scared to use her in case she breaks again...

my ideas are....
1. bad earth somwhere
maybe when i looked at window mechanisim?
maybe my foot knocked wire hanging in footwell?
immobiliser earth...(heard that one the other day)

also when i got car last year, the battery light was on.... guy told me it was always on, didnt notice it when i bought her....

if i took the car to a toyota for a diagnostic report .... will this tell me anything about the problem i'm having?

I'm not a mechanic but have a m8 100 miles away who would bend over backwards, do i dare chance taking it to him?

can i do any tests myself?

where would i look for bad earth connections??

i've got just over 1 week to try get this sorted, i dont want to get rid of her, i've pined for this car for years.....

please guys.... any input at all will be greatly appreciated

steve :(

ps. its a jap import on a j plate non turbo
paul_4xxxx

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Earth problem?

Post by paul_4xxxx »

i would have a look under and around the dash for any loose wires at first.. and take a look around the door where the wires ren through just incase any wires have broken and are shorting out.

if you cant find anything, then go and see your mate...
FreeFall

Post by FreeFall »

Sounds to me like your alternator is not charging the battery. :-k

The door locking thing could be down to a dodgy switch on one of the doors, does it lock then quickly unlock again? It will do this if it thinks one of the doors is open.
stevenb

Post by stevenb »

mrd-mr2 wrote:my first time on these boards ...

my door electrics go through a weird sequence too even when door is open...o

On a very similar note I have experienced a slight problem with my central locking.
When I get in the car and close the door the central locking sounds as if it's locking and then unlocking.....but the locking buttons on the door dont move.

Only in the last 2 days has it stopped doing this.
Could that be just dirt clogging things up or is this an electrical fault?
:-k

I seem to get bad static shocks off the car too.
Never have a battery light on...and it starts/stops perfectly.
mrd-mr2

Post by mrd-mr2 »

thanks welsh...
I found a wire loose on the passenger side, came off a sensor thing clipped to the dash.

thanks freefall..
I had the alternator checked and its not putting enough life back to the battery, got one @ ebay but the bloke never packed it well and the pully thing has bent, lets hope its interchangeable!... its going to a garage tomorrow...

steve...
I have'nt had any shocks off the car, but i'll let you know if the door mechanism stops after the alternator change...

cheers lads
FreeFall

Post by FreeFall »

No probs :thumleft:

Good luck with it, let us know how you get on.
mrd-mr2

Post by mrd-mr2 »

ok.... so the new alternators on and giving life to the battery!
but
I've still got the battery light on,
the guy who fitted the alternator said that because its the orange/amber battery light staying on and not the red battery light, then it could be the battery condition ???

i don't know???

any ideas?

I'm going to change the battery from my daughters fiesta to see if the light goes out....

but if anyone can tell me what the orange battery light is for.....

much appreciated
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

My understanding is that it measures the level of electrolyte in the battery. Not sure how it does this though. It's basically saying that your battery requires maintenance.
mrd-mr2

Post by mrd-mr2 »

changed over batterys, light still on..
tested both batteries both similar readings..
removed amber light... end of story

thanks lads
FreeFall

Post by FreeFall »

As toxo says, it is a low fluid light for the battery - one of the cells has a probe in it with a wire attached to the top. I had this on my old Rev1 and it was also lit up once I change the battery for a sealed unit. I think I just connected it to ground or something and the light went out.

Taking the lamp out will also work though :clap:

Nick

Return to “Electrical”