How not to sell a car!

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

coverco

How not to sell a car!

Post by coverco »

Just spotted this on Ebay, the description sounds great but I have never seen worse pictures in an auction :lol:

Why put all the effort into the description and then put 10 rubbish pictures in the listing :-k

I am not trying to say this is a bad car, just that the pictures are rubbish...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1989-TOYOTA-AW11- ... .m14.l1318
un1eash

Re: How not to sell a car!

Post by un1eash »

Those images are criminal but not as much as the starting price.
coverco

Post by coverco »

I would not like to comment on the price, but at that amount you would want better pictures before you went to view :)

I find it hard to believe that anyone could manage to take 10 pictures that are that bad, and then use them to try to sell their car :-k
waynestoyotamr2

Post by waynestoyotamr2 »

Gotta love that pic!

Especially when asking £3500 for the car!
"If in doubt - just make the numbers up!" ;)
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

waynestoyotamr2 wrote:Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i12.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/fa/4d/78c5_1.JPG

Gotta love that pic!

That one looks like a model car
System-G

Post by System-G »

waynestoyotamr2 wrote:

Is it plated in platinum or something?
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

normaly digital photography makes cars look much better than they actually are
these clearly (no pun intended!!) make the car look worse than it obviously is
even through the blur you can see all the pinstripes are present on this one, would have to be special to ask £3K plus though
coverco

Post by coverco »

kevin..in wrote:normaly digital photography makes cars look much better than they actually are
even through the blur you can see all the pinstripes are present on this one, would have to be special to ask £3K plus though

I think my eyesight must be going, I can not tell if all the pinstripes are there from those pictures, I can't even tell what the registration is :-k

I would love to know what he used to photgraph the car, even my first digital camera which was VGA or 0.3 Megapixels took better pictures than those :)
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

i must get down to specsavers. Cant read the numbers or see the pictures. I keep seeing an extra 0 . :shock:
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

coverco wrote:
kevin..in wrote:normaly digital photography makes cars look much better than they actually are

I think my eyesight must be going, I can not tell if all the pinstripes are there from those pictures, I can't even tell what the registration is :-k

I would love to know what he used to photgraph the car, even my first digital camera which was VGA or 0.3 Megapixels took better pictures than those :)

pinstripes look to be on both sides, although add states one rear arch has been done

pics obviously taken with a fixed focus camera out of its depth of field range, blurring is circles of confusion
surely no one is going to pay £3K+ without going to look at it first #-o
pinklady

Post by pinklady »

Hhmm Phone camera me thinks ](*,)
jamiesi

Post by jamiesi »

pinklady wrote:Hhmm Phone camera me thinks ](*,)

must be one of the first camera phones ever to come out if they turned out like that the pictures remind me of my sony ericsson t68 which was back in the 90's :lol:

the worst thing about it hes been selling on ebay since 2001 with a 100% feedback score you would think he has a good quality camera to go with that :lol:
coverco

Post by coverco »

jamiesi wrote:
pinklady wrote:Hhmm Phone camera me thinks ](*,)

must be one of the first camera phones ever to come out if they turned out like that the pictures remind me of my sony ericsson t68 which was back in the 90's :lol:

the worst thing about it hes been selling on ebay since 2001 with a 100% feedback score you would think he has a good quality camera to go with that :lol:

Actually I think I know the problem, it clearly states he is a member of the MR2 Drivers Club so it is probably camera shake :lol:

(Only joking all you MR2DC members, see you all at Tatton in a month :thumleft: )
OwenK

Post by OwenK »

This one was pretty poor:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... TQ:GB:1123

I emailed and asked him for some bigger pictures ... he sent me the same ones again. He wants £4,000 for it. Erm, for that sort of money, cant you take the time to borrow a camera that takes pictures bigger than my fingernail? :(
jamiesi

Post by jamiesi »

f*cking idiots :lol:
coverco

Post by coverco »

OwenK wrote:This one was pretty poor:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... TQ:GB:1123

I emailed and asked him for some bigger pictures ... he sent me the same ones again. He wants £4,000 for it. Erm, for that sort of money, cant you take the time to borrow a camera that takes pictures bigger than my fingernail? :(

Actually those pictures are fine for selling a Probe, any bigger and you would be able to see the car :lol:
Noneil

Post by Noneil »

I think you'll find that they're not actually photos, they're obviously artistic impressions of the vehicle in question.

Fairplay to him though, knocking up that many paintings for Ebay is no mean feat. True commitment to the cause.
Sharpfish

Post by Sharpfish »

This is a relisted car, it was on there last week and I thought the same as everyone here. It looked like a model car due to the depth of field, blurring and other anomolies... kinda cool, esp in the well known 'toyota mk1 burnt orange brown' colour it seems to have going for it. ;)

Seriously though, if you are asking 3 times the market value for a car at least sort your pictures out, I don't think I could put any faith in the car having been looked after/not driven into fences/sheep/people if the seller thinks those photos are even usable (esp as he made no mention of how bad the pics were).

The pics are that bad it looks more like it's intentional (put in photoshop and gaussian filter applied) either to obscure the defects, the colour fade (if it has it???), or the number plates... if the later then it may have been tempting to blur the whole set of pics to make it look more like just a bad set of pictures.

](*,)
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

Sharpfish wrote:
The pics are that bad it looks more like it's intentional (put in photoshop and gaussian filter applied) either to obscure the defects, the colour fade (if it has it???), or the number plates... if the later then it may have been tempting to blur the whole set of pics to make it look more like just a bad set of pictures.
](*,)

no they are just taken with a crap camera/phone
look at the engine bay one
the fore groung (coolant tank) is in focus but the engine is out of focus
its down to a tiny fixed focus lense with a depth of field of only a couple of feet
my money is on the car being OK just the seller is no marketing man/photographer

coverco

Post by coverco »

kevin..in wrote:
Sharpfish wrote:
](*,)

no they are just taken with a crap camera/phone
look at the engine bay one
the fore groung (coolant tank) is in focus but the engine is out of focus
its down to a tiny fixed focus lense with a depth of field of only a couple of feet
my money is on the car being OK just the seller is no marketing man/photographer

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l256/ ... appics.jpg

I suspect the car is probably in great condition but without decent pictures I would not even think about travelling to see it, especially when it is so highly priced. :-k

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”