Minty Mk1 on eBay... worth a look (Hertfordshire)

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

widster

Re: Minty Mk1 on eBay... worth a look (Hertfordshire)

Post by widster »

cartledge_uk wrote:If you want a bargain, go and find an ederly owner and pay them considerably less than the car is worth and hope your conscience is clear

I don't think that's quite the same is it! I know you are trying to make a point but 'suggesting' that people who use ebay will pay the minumum price at all costs, including ripping off elderly people, is a bit below the belt. That is a different ball game altogether.

I too don't like private listings as i like transparency, or at least as much as possible. What do these people have to hide?
Sharpfish

Post by Sharpfish »

widster wrote:
cartledge_uk wrote:If you want a bargain, go and find an ederly owner and pay them considerably less than the car is worth and hope your conscience is clear

I don't think that's quite the same is it! I know you are trying to make a point but 'suggesting' that people who use ebay will pay the minumum price at all costs, including ripping off elderly people, is a bit below the belt. That is a different ball game altogether.

I too don't like private listings as i like transparency, or at least as much as possible. What do these people have to hide?

Well said. :thumleft:
b2hbm

Post by b2hbm »

widster wrote:

I too don't like private listings as i like transparency, or at least as much as possible What do these people have to hide?

ditto "well said" ...

There is no reason for a seller to give stuff away at bargain prices - either start the bidding at what you want, or set a reserve. You get the price you want, the buyers know it's above board. If the item is desirable then you'll beat the reserve, but either way the buyer isn't going to lose out.
waynestoyotamr2

Post by waynestoyotamr2 »

Auction finished once again without meeting the reserve for this car.....
"If in doubt - just make the numbers up!" ;)
b2hbm

Post by b2hbm »

I was watching that one as well. Strange old world isn't it ?

From memory last time there were at 22 bids and apparently someone went up to £2450 for it. Odd that they didn't bid again on this auction to take it over the £2100 mark.
Sharpfish

Post by Sharpfish »

b2hbm wrote: Odd that they didn't bid again on this auction to take it over the £2100 mark.

yes, exactly, who's to say that wasn't the seller (using another logon) or a shill bidder pushing it up JUST BELOW the reserve (at least that's what I think the reserve was the first time, having seen it previous @ £2500 buy it now). Obviously he wouldn't go above that because he'd win his own auction and incur ebay fees.

I'm not saying that is what happened, maybe I'm completely wrong but frankly I don't trust many people anymore.
Last edited by Sharpfish on Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
waynestoyotamr2

Post by waynestoyotamr2 »

Anyone spotted it back on ebay yet? I havent!
"If in doubt - just make the numbers up!" ;)
russthedude

Post by russthedude »

maybe the person who bid up to £2450 before has now got a car????
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

Sharpfish wrote:
b2hbm wrote: Odd that they didn't bid again on this auction to take it over the £2100 mark.

yes, exactly, who's to say that wasn't the seller (using another logon) or a shill bidder pushing it up JUST BELOW the reserve (at least that's what I think the reserve was the first time, having seen it previous @ £2500 buy it now). Obviously he wouldn't go above that because he'd win his own auction and incur ebay fees.

I'm not saying that is what happened, maybe I'm completely wrong but frankly I don't trust many people anymore.

So what if he has?

He doesnt want to sell it for less than he wants so if he does that its up to him.

OR maybe it was a buyer that didnt want to spend over a certain amount ](*,)
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I'd go up there and have a look, but I need to get my car fixed.

A bit late, but there is no pinstripe on the arches, so yeah it has been repaired.
Sharpfish

Post by Sharpfish »

cartledge_uk wrote:
So what if he has?

He doesnt want to sell it for less than he wants so if he does that its up to him.

still. not. getting. it.

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

russthedude wrote:maybe the person who bid up to £2450 before has now got a car????

just maybe the person who bid it up to that price already owns the car!!! :?
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

Sharpfish wrote:
cartledge_uk wrote:
So what if he has?

still. not. getting. it.

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

What are you still not getting?

Its an ebay auction, its the sellers choice, he can do what he wants.

If you dont like it, then stop moaning about it constantly, going on about it and just leave the auction alone. Its up to the seller what he wants to do, not up to you or anyone else. IF you want the car, then pay what they want, if you dont, then leave it alone.

This section is not meant for slagging off peoples cars/auctions/lifestyles.

This "attitude" of some of the members is part of the reason I didnt sign back up to the mk1club and have no intention of rejoining.
Sharpfish

Post by Sharpfish »

You're the only one trying to turn this into a slander fest. Re-read what you orginally wrote about ME and others on here, what you hinted at about our 'ripping off old people' ways (that's complete BS btw).

You are in the minority here, everyone else can see why transparancy is good on an auction and we KNOW the seller has already lied about the repairs or at least is not as knowledgable about it's history as he likes to make out, this isn't a £750 car we are talking about, he's trying to get premium cash for it so of course certain aspects are interesting to discuss, it's not as black and white as you like to make out. I think you need to step back from the issue and ask yourself why you are personalising things, I and I'm sure others are just discussing it in a light hearted manner (mainly 'private' ebay auctions in general) yet you keep bringing it back round to how honest the seller is when the fact is you don't know jack about how honest he is... unless it's you or your mate perhaps? :mrgreen:

yes it's up to him what he does, we are merely discussing the possibilities, I'm not sure how many times I and others have to say 'we could be wrong' or 'maybe in this case he is genuine'. This is just the way we feel about certain ebay auctions, shill bidding definitely happens and there is a reason it's against Ebay policy and whether you think it's fine or not really doesn't come into.

However as a moderator I'm sure you'll feel free to actually attack our characters rather than stating your point and leaving it at that (or at least sticking up for the seller without resorting to attacks on me/us).

OH and for the record I was pretty insulted by your insinuation that I was the sort of person who would rip off a pensioner yet I managed to bite my tounge and not respond to you. You seem to find more to MOAN about in our discussion than you think other's should about your personal attacks.

Way to mod yourself. :roll:
coverco

Post by coverco »

I have to agree with cartledge_uk in this instance. If the seller put it in the Autotrader at £2500 then nobody would complain, it is a case of view the car and if you think it is worth the money then pay for it.

Why should Ebay be any different, if the seller wants £2500 then that is his choice, and if he bids up his own car then he will have to pay the fees. The fact the car is not described particularly well by the seller is only apparent to people who know about MK1's.

I have to wonder if those complaining about the auction are after a clean car at a knock down price.....

I guess we can come on here and say the guy is falsly advertising his car but it will not make much difference to the seller :)
Sharpfish

Post by Sharpfish »

cartledge_uk wrote:
And you can create multiple accounts from different locations so you cant tell if its the same person.

BTW, it may not be EASY to spot multiple user accounts all the time, but if you can at least click on the bidding history then on the bidders bid history you can see just how many other sellers he's bid on, and how long he's been signed up. I've seen other auctions (not cars) where a bidder with many bids on auctions has something like a 95% bid rate with that seller over many items (and these are not like items which would naturally attract repeat 'business' because the seller in question sold random stuff from pushchairs to computers).

It really isn't about 'your max bid', yes on paper it is, but this is about how you feel paying ANY money to a dishonest seller, someone who has something to hide enough to hide his bidders, if he's not as open as possible for no good reason then it doesn't speak volumes about his ability to put the buyer's mind at rest. If you want to feel like a mug knowing you were taken up to you 'max bid' by the seller's mate bidding with FULL KNOWLEDGE of the reserve price then go ahead, I think you won't find many who'd enjoy doing similar.

It's not even about 'bargains' it's about getting a car/item for the price it's worth, not cheaper not dearer. That only happens when a group of bidders hang around and come to a virtual agreement of what it's worth to them as a group with the guy who really wants it placing that last final high bid, when you put fake bids into the picture competing buyers can easily be misled (not me as I don't bid on private auctions or ones that seem strange in their bid history) into thinking 'just one more bid' will secure them the item, as much as you'd like to think all humans can act like robots it's not always easy, especially on something like a car that a buyer may have been looking for for months.

Also factor in that some bidders are led/guided by the prices they see auctions reaching, those who may not know the market so well but want to buy a car like the mk1 mr2. Seeing reserves @ £2500 being 'almost met' enough times can be used (wrongly) for many people as a guide to what the cars 'must be worth'. You see I'm not thinking about myself, I wouldn't touch that car at that price on ebay of all places, I have a limit on how much I'd spend upfront on a car 'unseen', what we were discussing was for the benifit of all buyers and some sellers, only you seem to have a problem with that where there really shouldn't be one.

I'm going to leave it at that, there is obviously more going on here than you NOT GETTING why we don't like auctions against anonymous bidders and why I for one thought I was free to discuss that using this obvious case as an example. Feel free to continue to pay your absolute maximum price (+ that last £50 just to 'secure it') for the rest of your life. Sellers will love you. :clap:
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Stop bloody going on about it.
Sharpfish

Post by Sharpfish »

coverco wrote:I have to agree with cartledge_uk in this instance. If the seller put it in the Autotrader at £2500 then nobody would complain, it is a case of view the car and if you think it is worth the money then pay for it.

No problem at all with that, the thing is you are NOT wasting your time when you know the price up front. £2500? pass. next!

An unknown reserve in combination with privated bidding isn't anything like autotrader/classified ads.

Also remember in most cases you haggle down to a price that suits both parties when buying straight out.

And again we have our characters brought into question, I for one would NOT be interested in that car at anything above £1750, my choice and even then it's not what I'm looking for and I don't particularly trust the seller either - even if he was on Autotrader at £1500.

Please stop assuming people have motives behind merely discussing this car's private auction. It could have been any kind of item and the same applies. It's high price and factual errors are what highlited it, the 'private auction' thing is only a side discussion that blossomed mainly due to cartledge_uk's insistance that we are all wrong and that we are fair game for insults from him.

The thing that isn't 'being got' here is the fact that I don't think any of us against private auctions actually CARE about this car, we are just curious. Also in my case at least, I can fully see why a few of you can't understand the problem if you only ever state it in a black and white way "you only pay what you want to" or "the seller has a price he want's to stick to". Nothing wrong or incorrect about either of those things, I don't care if he has it on for £5000, not that he'd sell it but that is completely his choice. The private auctions and how they are open to abuse (abuse as defined by ebay, real life auction houses and honest buyers/sellers) is where the interest is, not what this guy want's to sell his car for.

Ok, I'm out.
:mrgreen:
Sharpfish

Post by Sharpfish »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:Stop bloody going on about it.

You know you really don't have to read a thread just because it's there don't you?

Please don't tell me to do anything, thankyou. The day I try and dictate what you can and can't do on a forum will be the day you are invited to respond in kind.
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

The comment about ripping off pensioners was a bit below the belt and I appologise if it doesn’t apply to you.

BUT

I know members of the mk1club HAVE done this, knowingly paid significantly less with the idea of making a profit at somebody else’s expense.

Thats science FACT, not science fiction.

They have even tried it with me LOL!!!

This is one of the messages I recieved a while back for one of my cars (that sold for £800)

Dear seller, I am a member of the mr2 mk1 club and am passionate about the cars and an expert in them, sadly yours has a few problems and won't sell for much more than a few hundred pound in today’s market. As I previously mentioned I am passionate about the cars and i'm looking for a new car to restore back to original standard (and lose money, but its worth it to see another mr2 back on the road), would you be willing to end the auction now for £200, you wont incur any fees then and you will be happy in the knowledge your car will be restored

But if your not interested in the car for more than £1750, then why go on about it. Its out of your price range so leave it alone. A more cynical person would think you are trying to remove bidding competition on the car by publically slating it on the forum.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”