Minty Mk1 on eBay... worth a look (Hertfordshire)

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Re: Minty Mk1 on eBay... worth a look (Hertfordshire)

Post by tonigmr2 »

If anybody is really serious I have a friend not on IMOC who lives in BS but who is a MK1 nut...
T
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

Likewise, if anyone is serious about this car then i will pop over there & have a look for them, obviously with good res pictures to report back with :thumleft: , Jinxy
P.S I hope your feeling better now Toni :pray: :thumleft:
waynestoyotamr2

Post by waynestoyotamr2 »

Anyone else interested? I am. But dont feel I warrant sending Tony on a goose chase just for me!
"If in doubt - just make the numbers up!" ;)
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

Wayne its no problem mate, it will only take me 30 mins to get over there, besides i always like haveing a good look over these so called "Mint" examples :mrgreen: , let me know what you think, all the best, Jinx
waynestoyotamr2

Sounds good to me Jinxy, am sure a few others would also be interested in your findings??
first-footer

Post by first-footer »

Bidding is up to over £2300 at the moment .I don't think I would bid that high on a Mk1 I had not seen.
Sharpfish

Post by Sharpfish »

first-footer wrote:Bidding is up to over £2300 at the moment .I don't think I would bid that high on a Mk1 I had not seen.

I agree, though perhaps the high bidder has been to have a look you never know. As I posted previously this car appeared for around 10 minutes with only a BUY IT NOW of £2500 so I knew the reserve was set way high. I hope for that money it's as genuine as claimed.
bburn13

Post by bburn13 »

jrleech wrote:
I'd go for it, but I'm told that 3 MR2's is enough :(

I`m glad no one told me that
:lol:
Dave
89 SC - Beauty.
89 Track n/ail - The Red Dwarf
84 Blue 1.5 Tin Top Rummy, 54 RX8 -Rex
waynestoyotamr2

Finished at £2400 without meeting reserve, seems a decent price to me for eBay that - the seller might end up kicking himself for the unrealisticly high reserve..........
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

waynestoyotamr2 wrote:Finished at £2400 without meeting reserve, seems a decent price to me for eBay that - the seller might end up kicking himself for the unrealisticly high reserve..........

I see he's re-listed it now, he says the reserve has been lowered as it must sell.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1987-TOYOTA-MR2-M ... 911.c0.m14

I know I'm being really picky here but he's still calling it a one owner car but surely it's a 2 owner car if he bought it 2 months ago? :? He could of course be a trader who wouldn't need to register it in his name but then that would make me wonder if his story about being relocated is true, or has he just bought off the first owner (the elderely gentlemen!) to make a quick profit?
waynestoyotamr2

Definitely smacks of trader to me - anyone local fancy taking a look?
b2hbm

Post by b2hbm »

I appreciate I could be doing a dis-service to an honest bloke, but it sounds very much like a trader to me as well - why ?
1. 57k in the title, over 59k on the pictures (lower to grab your attention)
2. at 2 months he should have the logbook showing 1 previous owner.
3. Dublin ???? given how rare low milers are, why not just take it with you ? Any company making such a posting will give re-location expenses and it's not Australia, is it ?
4. but the biggest question is the private listing - now who are you bidding against ? just one other bidder, who happens to be his mate ?

And that's without the points already made about missing pinstripes & "no previous repairs" which just doesn't strike true.

I saw the ad 'cos I'm also looking for a low-miler and am prepared to cough up for a good car. I've no objection to traders or folks making a few bob on the side, but I'd have to trust them before handing over my cash. Sadly, in this case I don't.....
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

b2hbm wrote:
4. but the biggest question is the private listing - now who are you bidding against ? just one other bidder, who happens to be his mate ?

I do private listings all the time on MR2 parts, why? because some MR2 owners dont bid if they recognise another members user name.
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

b2hbm wrote:

this is a huge step Ebay have taken mainly to protect their vast income but in doing so they have made the practise of "Shill" bidding so much easier
in the past these dodgy traders were easily spotted now its not as obvious
so sellers bump up bids with multiple accounts, buyers pay over the odds
ebay gets more revenue
I no longer bid on auctions with private listings/bidders
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

kevin..in wrote:
b2hbm wrote:

this is a huge step Ebay have taken mainly to protect their vast income but in doing so they have made the practise of "Shill" bidding so much easier
ebay gets more revenue

I fail to see how this will effect anything.

When you see an item you want, you have a price in your mind of the maximum you are willing to spend.

If the item goes over that, you dont buy it, its that simple. Someone else bidding should have no effect on that, its an auction after all.

PLus how do you know when its someone with multiple accounts or someone else entirely, you cant!!!!!!!!

I know for a fact that some traders operating on the mk1 scene have multiple accounts, but they don't bid up there own items
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

cartledge_uk wrote:
kevin..in wrote:
b2hbm wrote:

ebay gets more revenue

I fail to see how this will effect anything.

When you see an item you want, you have a price in your mind of the maximum you are willing to spend.

If the item goes over that, you dont buy it, its that simple. Someone else bidding should have no effect on that, its an auction after all.

PLus how do you know when its someone with multiple accounts or someone else entirely, you cant!!!!!!!!

I know for a fact that some traders operating on the mk1 scene have multiple accounts, but they don't bid up there own items

final price should depend on how many genuine bidders are interested not on how many shill bids the seller wants to place
but the point of buying at auction is to try and obtain a bargain,
anyone getting auction fever is only robbing themselves,
but clear dodgy trading is always best avoided

cartledge_uk wrote:

my point exactly!!
before the introduction of private sellers/bidders it was easy to spot bids from different accounts but all in the same location
but now you just dont know
Ebay wins! but in the process facilitates dodgy sellers bidding in a way that is at best not in the spirit of the auction, and at worst "technically" illegal
Sharpfish

Post by Sharpfish »

I agree with Kevin.

Even if you have a 'top price' you won't go beyond you shouldn't HAVE to pay that much if the interest shown from other's wasn't genuine (ie fake bids) this is especially dodgy on auctions with reserves as the seller knows that he doesn't risk winning his own auction so long as he stays just below his reserve price, meanwhile auction fever sets in amongst the real bidders as they see the item getting genuine interest and 'assume' many factors making the item more desirable (perhaps they assume those 'fake' bidders have seen the car in real life and think it's quality for example).

Auctions and Ebay when it originally start were about bargains/rare items/moving on items at not much profit, over the years it became a BUSINESS for many in the 'buying and selling' game and the private bidding does add to the options available to sellers to bump up their profits.

Certainly you do not go above your highest price so in effect you don't loose out but what you do loose is the ability, more and more, to grab a genuine bargain. Ebay and sellers win, buyers loose.
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

you just have to try and bid smart
avoid dodgy sellers (use all the info you can to weed them out)
getting a genuine bargain is now even more of a thrill knowing how many rip off mechants enhabit Ebay
i still buy regularly, I just avoid private sellers/bidders
also I have no problem with career Ebayers from which I buy regularly, but why would you buy from a shop with no sign above the door!
my opinion my choice
b2hbm

Post by b2hbm »

without wishing to drag this too far off topic, my paranoia about the private listing is because I've been suckered with shill bidding before and now won't bid on anything with private listings.

But in fairness I retract the "trader" comment as he only seems to sell one car a year. (assuming he has just the one account)

I guess I'm just puzzled why, if it was originally listed with a BIN of £2500, then pulled, relisted as a private auction and bid up to £2450 (only one bid away from the original BIN) just why it hasn't sold. I'd have thought he'd just contact the highest bidder and make a deal outside of Ebay - that's what I would have done.
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

Its quite easy.

You see something you want, you decide how much you want to pay, you bid that. If you get it for less bargain, if not tough.

Ebay is not about bargains all the time, look at some of the things in there are not for "bargains"

And you can create multiple accounts from different locations so you cant tell if its the same person.

](*,)

If you want a bargain, go and find an ederly owner and pay them considerably less than the car is worth and hope your conscience is clear

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”