up-rated rear anti-roll bar

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

vtectom

up-rated rear anti-roll bar

Post by vtectom »

I notice Fen Sport sell these & wonder if anyone has experience of one of these fitted to a standard mk1, i.e. how handling is affected.
I up-rated the anti-roll bar on my civic & it really helped reduce understeer.
Thanks
cartledge_uk

Re: up-rated rear anti-roll bar

Post by cartledge_uk »

I bought mine from demon tweeks using the club discount, cheaper and better customer service.

As for the ARB, awesome
Black_mk1

Post by Black_mk1 »

Cheap version is the mk2 turbo or rev3+ rear ARB.
You need to drill a couple of holes but are the same.
They come in 18 - 20mm :)
Adam W

Post by Adam W »

What effect does it have on handling to increase the stiffness of the ARB? I thought I had heard that if you stiffen the rear, you increase understeer, and if you stiffen the front, you increase oversteer . . . is that right or have I got it bass-ackwards?
ppre89

Post by ppre89 »

i would have fort if you stiffen the rear, it will reduce oversteer as it keeps the rear wheels from lossing surface area on the ground. So if you stiffen front and back it would improve grip overall. That right or am i well off lol :D
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Thicker ARB on my Mk1 resulted in a sharper turn in and more neutral handling verging on oversteer. All in :thumleft:
feral4mr2

Post by feral4mr2 »

i like the 22mm on the front of the lil feral, turn in and overall body roll has greatly improved. though i think a 20mm/18mm would be better suited combined with better quality springs/shocks. i find even with the weight of the sub in the frunk it will understeer more than i would like on tight radius's.
i also beleive that going too thick (over 16mm IMO) on the rear promotes oversteer.
it's not always a case of bigger is better IMPO.
Ad Mayo

Post by Ad Mayo »

I have the 18 mil rear and 20 mil front ARB's, they do make the car handle really well and it turns in so much better than before but found to be twitchy at the back end but I also fitted KYB's and a poly bush kit at the same time so it's very hard solid ride. (not ideal for the wet).
vtectom

thanks...

Post by vtectom »

for all your comments

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”