Air Scoop for MK1

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Re: Air Scoop for MK1

Post by Tiamat »

Can stick it on my MK1 and see how it goes.

Can probably sort some piping to enclose the filter as well and see if that makes a difference.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
010on1986

Post by 010on1986 »

Where do these scoops come from? I doubt they were engineered as a precise functional add on...more likely the product of some veilside/ isopon-p40 carving/moulding outfit serving the wicked killer street gangsta fibreglass cruise scene brigade with bond on bells and whistles....
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

I think they originated from Toms tuning in Japan, certainly the Mk2 scoops have that kind of heritage.

Most you get now are copies/poor impersonations of them.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

A chap who used to run an outfit called KD Garage in the States is where I got mine, it's certainly 'based' on the Toms scoop thought process, but it doesn't have the same heritage.

My thought on buying it was it could assist cool air intake in a hot engine bay (at the time was struggling on intake location on the TC), but without extensive ducting I can't see it doing anything. I don't plan on using it on the TC now - got some extra venting instead...

T
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Mine is a replica toms scoop I think :? I bought it for a few squid last year.

The induction kit sits directly underneath the scoop on my 1.5... I haven't had a chance to put any ducting on it yet.

I'm pretty sure it is good for at least an extra 50BHP :thumleft:

If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Toms never made them for the MK1 though Ollie - the guy who designed and made them was at KD - after that there were loads of copies and he stopped doing it.

FWIW that's the only way I think they are worth having - sitting directly over an induction kit and allowing cool air in. Can't comment on the aerodynamics aspects as just don't know enough about it.

T :eye:
010on1986

Post by 010on1986 »

Ollie @ Skyinsurance wrote:Mine is a replica toms scoop I think :? I bought it for a few squid last year.

The induction kit sits directly underneath the scoop on my 1.5... I haven't had a chance to put any ducting on it yet.

I'm pretty sure it is good for at least an extra 50BHP :thumleft:

I think they look good on a car like yours...the reason being

If I saw an mr2 with a gramaphone hooter sticking out the engine bay my thoughts run as follows "is that serving a purpose, if so what does he have under the bonnet ????? , lets see if he'll cane it..rev rev"

Now in your case, as you streak on past my little sc (hooterless) your worthyness of wearing a hooter is justified.

Now if its just a poxy little mk1 with its tired ole 4age its laughable... Bells whistles and no go.

Hooters are best for those with bells and whistles under the engine lid.
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

010on1986 wrote:
I think they look good on a car like yours...the reason being

If I saw an mr2 with a gramaphone hooter sticking out the engine bay my thoughts run as follows "is that serving a purpose, if so what does he have under the bonnet ????? , lets see if he'll cane it..rev rev"

Now in your case, as you streak on past my little sc (hooterless) your worthyness of wearing a hooter is justified.

Now if its just a poxy little mk1 with its tired ole 4age its laughable... Bells whistles and no go.

Hooters are best for those with bells and whistles under the engine lid.

Nowt wrong with running a 4AGE. the scoop if plumbed into the air intake would still add clean cold air and probably a few ponies, exactly the same way as it would with a 3SGTE under the bonnet. I wouldn't say the 4AGE has no go, you just need to know how to drive the car ot get the best out of it. I've never had troubles keeping up on the Guildford runs, except in a straight line the tubbies have not left me behind.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Have to say after racing a 4age I am getting a whole new round of respect for the engine. :thumleft: Just never stops revving.

T
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

tonigmr2 wrote:Have to say after racing a 4age I am getting a whole new round of respect for the engine. :thumleft: Just never stops revving.

T

I have both, I like both engines for different reasons... My standard Mk1a is an absolute pleasure to drive and I'd say is more fun to drive 'on the limit' than the 1.5.. and the Mk1a uses a hell of a lot less petrol!
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
sidewaysfreak

Post by sidewaysfreak »

coverco wrote:
sidewaysfreak wrote:
As Pw@Woodsport and many others have said before, left open the scoop is bad for airflow, trying to push air the wrong way(as shown clearly in the video posted by Pw@Woodsport)

I wasn't going to bother explaining this but I will. The video that was posted shows the engine lid lifting now this is due to air flowing up through the engine compartment, the reason the air flows up through the compartment is because of the flow of air over the roof causing a low pressure area over the engine lid. This is how planes fly, the upper surface of the wing is longer than the under surface so the air on the upper surface speeds up and creates a low pressure area on the upper wing surface and this creates lift. The car is similar to a wing in that the air that hits the front of the car splits and has a much bigger distance to travel over the top than under the car, and so creates low pressure on the top of the car.

If you close the engine compartment air can only come up through the vents so it is restricted and more air will carry on under the car as it is a lower resistance route. If you do a search there is another thread where Jim-SR states the actual airflow through the engine compartment at 80mph is 5mph, if you leave the engine lid unlatched (stupid thing to do IMO) this will obviously increase, as it is a bigger hole and so more air will take this route. Now at 80mph the scoop is feeding air into the engine compartment at 80mph so it will easily add to the airflow in the engine compartment.

Now I am sure PW@Woodsport has a lot of experience of working on MR2's but unfortunately the video he uses to demonstrate his point does no such thing. There is actually not a very high airflow through the engine bay (when the lid is latched) and therefore a scoop will give you more air to your K&N assuming you don't always leave your engine lid open :thumleft:

I am all for experts helping out but it does bother me when the information they supply is incorrect, but then again what would I know I only have a degree in Mechanical Engineering :lol:

I believe the above information to be true and think it needed stating.

Two key points here, if the car is acting like an aeroplane wing, why the hell do you want to keep the air under the car.The low pressure zone above the engine lid is causing lift, surely equalising this is highly desirable.
So stuffing loads of air through a scoop would surely add to this effect further leading to more rear end lift at high speed, nice.

Yeah I feel a complete idiot for letting my engine lid float :roll:

And also, isn't air flow caused by a high pressure zone flowing into a low pressure zone?? Maybe, just maybe, toyota designed in the low pressure zone at the back to pull air out of the engine bay, now there's a crazy thought.
coverco

Post by coverco »

sidewaysfreak wrote:

Two key points here, if the car is acting like an aeroplane wing, why the hell do you want to keep the air under the car.The low pressure zone above the engine lid is causing lift, surely equalising this is highly desirable.
So stuffing loads of air through a scoop would surely add to this effect further leading to more rear end lift at high speed, nice.

Yeah I feel a complete idiot for letting my engine lid float :roll:

And also, isn't air flow caused by a high pressure zone flowing into a low pressure zone?? Maybe, just maybe, toyota designed in the low pressure zone at the back to pull air out of the engine bay, now there's a crazy thought.

You do not want to keep the air under the car, it is better if there is no air under the car but fitting of skirts is not really practical on the road and has been banned on the track for many years. However drawing more air up through your engine bay is not helping the flow characteristics. On a MK1 I would think front end lift would be more of a problem at high speed :-k

The air flow on a car is caused by the car moving through the air at speed, because the upper surface of a car is longer than the lower surface, the air splits at the front and as it has a further distance to cover over the top speeds up which creates a lower pressure and so creates lift. This is very simplified as air also travels round the sides but it illustrates the point.
The engine cover has vents in and is not sealed so the low pressure on the upper surface causes air to travel up through the engine bay which cools the engine, leaving your engine lid open will obviously allow more air from under the car to travel up through the engine bay, this will increase cooling of the engine but I doubt it will help the handling characteristics.

Toyota did indeed design the car to draw air up through the engine bay, but they restricted that flow by placing vents in the engine lid, by leaving the lid open you are altering the air flow and cooling of the engine by quite a lot IMO, if it works for you fine but I will stick with the judgement of the Toyota design engineers, and no it is not a crazy thought it is what I said on page 2 of this thread :thumleft:
sidewaysfreak

Post by sidewaysfreak »

I think putting a supercharged v6 changes the game slightly

coverco wrote: if it works for you fine but I will stick with the judgement of the Toyota design engineers :thumleft:

You'll be taking your scoop off then??
coverco

Post by coverco »

sidewaysfreak wrote:I think putting a supercharged v6 changes the game slightly

coverco wrote: if it works for you fine but I will stick with the judgement of the Toyota design engineers :thumleft:

You'll be taking your scoop off then??

It certainly does change things, I would not like to say how :lol:

According to experts the scoop does nothing so I think I will leave it on :lol:

I was not sure I liked it but now I am convinced :thumleft:
sidewaysfreak

Post by sidewaysfreak »

coverco wrote:It certainly does change things, I would not like to say how :lol:

Meaning??
It gives you a brutally fast car with pin sharp handling that can worry or even embarrass seriously expensive machinery. I'm trying to think of anything that you 'would not like to say' worth laughing at, please enlighten me.

coverco wrote:
According to experts the scoop does nothing so I think I will leave it on :lol:

Genius. You could have actually learned something from this thread and decided to put the scoop to good use by connecting it directly to your intake.

coverco wrote:
I was not sure I liked it but now I am convinced :thumleft:

Now there's an awesome reason to do something.
coverco

Post by coverco »

sidewaysfreak wrote:
It gives you a brutally fast car with pin sharp handling that can worry or even embarrass seriously expensive machinery. I'm trying to think of anything that you 'would not like to say' worth laughing at, please enlighten me.

Like my scoop enlightenment appears to be pointless, enjoy your brutally fast car, I know I will enjoy my scoop :thumleft:

I am looking forward to the testing of the airflows through a scoop, perhaps any further discussion should be left until the facts are known :D
sidewaysfreak

Post by sidewaysfreak »

I've got a funny feeling I might enjoy my car more than you enjoy your scoop.

I've just had a thought, what if I put a scoop on my car!!
XL bacon double cheese, baby!! \:D/
coverco

Post by coverco »

sidewaysfreak wrote:I've got a funny feeling I might enjoy my car more than you enjoy your scoop.

I've just had a thought, what if I put a scoop on my car!!
XL bacon double cheese, baby!! \:D/

Now that is just infantile, but enjoy your super car :thumleft:
ppre89

Post by ppre89 »

PW@Woodsport wrote:pointless scoop,a mk1 doesnt need one.... have you ever seen how much airflow there is coming up through a mk1 engine bay? its quite a lot!! much more than that scoop will provide,in fact id go as far to say the air travelling upward will negate any air being fed into the bay.... check out this video of a mk1 engine lid not latched so you can see the airflow for yourself.... both cars in this vid have floating lids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKNKU0mtoTU

so a pretty pointless scoop really!

Couldn't the vortex most likey made over the engine bay from the roof cause the lid to come up? Id assume air going over the top and falling down there would cause a vortex? Or am i jus talking dribble?
Mk1Chris

Post by Mk1Chris »

A properly fitted scoop may increase power by 5bhp.

Or it may not.

It may also cause extra drag.

Or it may not.

Simple fact is that you are talking about such a minor difference in performance that will ultimately not change the way you enjoy your car.

If you like your car with a scoop then fit one :thumleft:

Don't waste time debating the differences when you'd actually get better performance by going on Slimfast for a week :lol: Just enjoy the cheap mr2 fun.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”