Leaking T-bar!

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Happy

Leaking T-bar!

Post by Happy »

Hi all.

I've just aquired my first MR2 MK1 \:D/ . It's fantastic to drive and just to sit in!

However, it's rained hard today down in Cornwall and there's water getting in from the roof, near the window .

The seals all look good to me, no ware, cracks or holes. I've cleaned any muck off that I could see but still a constant slow drip.

Is there somethingsimple I'm missing?

Need a manual pronto.

Cheers all & thanks in advance.
cartledge_uk

Re: Leaking T-bar!

Post by cartledge_uk »

Happy wrote:
Is there somethingsimple I'm missing?

you didnt buy a sunroof model 8-[

Welcome to the club :thumleft:

There are various ways to improve the T-bar seals, have a search and you will find a few options/ideas
ppre89

Post by ppre89 »

Yeah I found that out when i got mine, Common problem with the t-bar, loads of different ways people have sorted it. Welcome any who :D
Noneil

Post by Noneil »

I use silicone spray to help get a better seal, I only get leaks from where the passenger window meets the t-top afeter very havy rain.

Neil
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

Hiya and welcome

It's no surprise yours is leaking, as nearly all do :roll:

use something to look after the rubber (autoglym vynil and rubber spray)
also you can turn the locating holes around so the tbar is clamped in tighter (loosen the 2 screws and turn offset hole around a bit).

new rubbers once everything else is tried.

Also check that the seals/rubbers are sited correctly and not coming away from the car. check that there are no holes or tears.

Some people use vaselene or silicone spray to help maintain a seal.
If your car is sored in a garage you can leave the tbars off at night to let the rubber plump up and restore a better shape maybe...

If stuck, invest in waterproof seat covers and plasic trousers :lol:
mk1 envy

Post by mk1 envy »

Some very sound advice there from jo! although i would save up for some new seals if your planning to keep the car if i were you

My last mk1 had a leaking T-bar and some days it nearly had me in tears - i would get to work with a soggy lap and come home with a soggy bum! :cry:

After trying everything excluding changing the seals (including gaffer tape :oops: lol) i eventually sold it and managed to find one of the only mk1's with a T-bar that doesnt leak! \:D/ - im holding onto this one i tell ya! :mrgreen:
Superfly

Post by Superfly »

I've had that problem and tried the silicone spray which didn't work. Bought 2 offset guides off ebay and they hardly made any difference. Would not reccommend them. For what they are, they're pricey! Then i found a fix on here using silicone sealant and so far that has worked. Bit untidy though. I just have to sort the leak through the bulkhead now!
jimi

Post by jimi »

mr2mk1chick wrote:
use something to look after the rubber (autoglym vynil and rubber spray)
also you can turn the locating holes around so the tbar is clamped in tighter (loosen the 2 screws and turn offset hole around a bit).

Not quite. The offset guides ( if fitted ) only fit in 4 positions ( the outside is square) At least 2 positions will probably make things worse, the other 2 positions can improve things, a lot depends on the state of the seals.
This is what I do, treat a the seals with silicon spray, I wouldn't spray it on (better to avoid getting it on the bodywork) what I do is spray it into the cap then use a finger to rub it into the seals, do every bit of the seal you can get to, including the ends on the T-bars themselves, leave the T-bars off, wait 20mins or so and repeat, then leave as long as possible (overnight if you can ) before refitting the t-bars. You will see that the seals plump up as mentioned. Fit the offset guides with the offset downwards at approx 6 o'clock or can try 1 position round at approx 4 o'clock.
I re-treat mine at least once a year. Another tip is when fitting the T-bars don't just slap them on and tighten the clip, sit them in position and give them a little wiggle side to side before tightening the clip.
hth
Jimi
Happy

Post by Happy »

Cheers for all the info. Great help.
I'm gonna go and buy some silicon spray now and give it a try first.
Don't wanna buy all new seals unless I really have to.
monkeymax

Post by monkeymax »

Don't use vaseline on the seals - as this is petroleum based, it'll do the seals no good over time.

I tend to use the silicon lubricant method as Jimi described... though I do it whenever I wash the car (maybe a bit over-enthusiastic! But, eh, my T-bars don't leak... ;) )...
Bazzbiggles

Post by Bazzbiggles »

Which type of silicon lubricant do you use on your seals? Are any better than others? I seem to remember reading of a silicone gel or grease that gives a better seal. Has anybody else heard of that?
widster

Post by widster »

Bazzbiggles wrote:Which type of silicon lubricant do you use on your seals? Are any better than others? I seem to remember reading of a silicone gel or grease that gives a better seal. Has anybody else heard of that?

I bought mine from Halfrauds. Yellow can.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”