Suzuki Cappuccino vs MR2 mk1

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

xchipx

Suzuki Cappuccino vs MR2 mk1

Post by xchipx »

Ok so basically ive got an eye on an mr2 , however i love the cappuccino too but havent ever driven one.
Anyone know about these little kei thingies ? :)
Mainly interested in how they handle etc vs the mr2
Many thanks
Mark
Sharpfish

Re: Suzuki Cappuccino vs MR2 mk1

Post by Sharpfish »

:shock: :mrgreen: :clap:
Last edited by Sharpfish on Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
halflife

Post by halflife »

[-X

No :!:

Its just wrong

Dont do it
waynestoyotamr2

Post by waynestoyotamr2 »

Cappa v Mk1 MR2 - really different beasts - not sure they can be compared, or are even worth comparing?
"If in doubt - just make the numbers up!" ;)
MartG

Post by MartG »

As above, totally different beasts. A better comparison may be the Cappucino and the Smart Roadster
IanClements

Post by IanClements »

A friend gave me a ride in his Smart Roadster a while back and I have to say it was incredible, put's the 2 in the shade for handling tbh but then hey, would you buy it with that crap gearbox!

Someone turned up for a Peak District run last year in a Cappa, the MK2 Turbo's could get nowhere near on the twisties, make of that what you will.
xchipx

Post by xchipx »

IanClements wrote:..........

Someone turned up for a Peak District run last year in a Cappa, the MK2 Turbo's could get nowhere near on the twisties, make of that what you will.

That may be me sold on the cappa then :(
However an mr2 mk1 with say 1500 quid spent on suspension may be able to compete? no ?
Was the cappa tuned ?
BIGBOBO

Post by BIGBOBO »

well considering the smart roadster is ten times as expensive as a mk1 give it a little slack :)

also the mk1 engine doesn't blows up at 80k miles.
halflife

Post by halflife »

BIGBOBO wrote:
also the mk1 engine doesn't blows up at 80k miles.

mine did :whistle:
IanClements

Post by IanClements »

However an mr2 mk1 with say 1500 quid spent on suspension may be able to compete? no ?

Difficult to say tbh, there's no substitute for being as light as crisp wrapper. Cappa's are expensive for what they are though because of their rareness and MR2's are a better package overall imo.
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

The kei cars are great.

The cappacino is a great car and easily moddable too, it has ample storage in in as well.

There is also the Honda beat (more comparable to the mk1) Mid engine RWD N/a, great little car, lack of storage stopped me geating one.
treyz32

Post by treyz32 »

cartledge_uk wrote:The kei cars are great.
There is also the Honda beat (more comparable to the mk1) Mid engine RWD N/a, great little car, lack of storage stopped me geating one.

There is also the Mazda AZ-1 (which was made by Suzuki I think), Like other Kei cars it was a Mid-engined 657cc turbo.

cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

treyz32 wrote:
cartledge_uk wrote:The kei cars are great.

There is also the Mazda AZ-1 (which was made by Suzuki I think), Like other Kei cars it was a Mid-engined 657cc turbo.

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://url411.imageshack.us/url411/8182/essen21dd3.jpg

But the price puts it out of the same class 3-4 time the pirce of a beat or cappacino. Not all kei cars were mid-engined.

The cappacino is FR, honda beat MR, Az-1 MR.

Then the other kei cars MIra,Acty, Alto works, Figaro, opti are FF with some of them 4wheel drive.
xchipx

Post by xchipx »

You reckon cappas are expensive for what they are ? And MR2 mk1's in good condition arent ?
HMMM would love an az-1 but we only really got cappas here and daihatsu miras and the honda beats.
I want something pretty nippy and good fun on the twisties.
Bear in mind if i ge the mr2 i was planning on spending quite a chunk on the engine.
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

xchipx wrote:You reckon cappas are expensive for what they are ? And MR2 mk1's in good condition arent ?
HMMM would love an az-1 but we only really got cappas here and daihatsu miras and the honda beats.
I want something pretty nippy and good fun on the twisties.
Bear in mind if i ge the mr2 i was planning on spending quite a chunk on the engine.

Cappa's are fun and have a good club scene.

The honda beats are N/a and are pretty good, but lack a lot of storage.

A cappa is a good car :thumleft:
Rosssco

Post by Rosssco »

Having had both, its a tough call.

The Capp has tremendous rwd handling, a (relatively) punchy little turbo engine (64hp vs. 720kg), which will also return 40+ mg easily if driven conservatively. I do love mk1's, but I guarentee the mk1 will feel slightly woolly after driving a good Capp. Will keep up with more powerful machinery, and being Jap and turbocharged, are easily tunable for more power.

Dont mind people who will laugh, they dont know what they are missing (same scenario with mx-5's), and would probably struggle to properly drive one in the wet (can be slightly snappy / handful if you dont treat it with respect).

They are effectively a size down though, the boot is a token gesture only it seems, and the roof panels fill it completly.

They are only slightly better than mk1's from a corrosion point of view, so expect either a car that is immaculate (4k+) or as been repaired to a decent standard. You should get one of these for about 3k. Look out for - rusty arches, sills, floor and front suspension area (thats all :lol: ). They are mechanically very reliable, and the little F6A engine is a decent, rev-happy little unit.

I'd have one again in a minute, but only as a second car, tweaked slightly for some B-road blasting (which is what I've decided to do with a mk1).

Ross

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”