[Mk2] [Turbo] Standard BOV problem

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mike

[Mk2] [Turbo] Standard BOV problem

Post by Mike »

Until a month(ish) ago I had a Bailey BOV that vented to atmosphere, when I took the car to Rogue for an unrelated problem they changed the Bailey item for a standard one which until now has been fine. This weekend though I noticed that as boost builds to about 0.5bar the BOV sounds like its venting to atmosphere whilst my foot is still planted. As a result performance is suffering. Is this a comman problem with the standard item? Im gonna check for possible leaks later.
jon

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Standard BOV problem

Post by jon »

I had this problem when I got my MR2, it was horrible to drive :(

There's a test specified in the BGB, http://www.mr2-tech.com/bgb/mechanical/ ... system.htm

It's worth checking to see if there's a fault, in my case the lower diaphram in the BOV was leaking.

Swapping the BOV for a HKS SSQV solved the drivablity issues \:D/
Last edited by jon on Tue May 06, 2008 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Post by Mike »

That link doesnt work mate. Cant afford an SSQV unfortunately, I'll have to see what if anything I can do about it then speak to Rogue I guess.
jon

Post by jon »

Link should be fixed now, the testing procedure is at the bottom of page TC-13/top of page TC-14.
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

I have exactly the same thing at the moment, builds pressure then bleeds it all away again :? driving me nuts, will check this also :thumleft:
ljb

Post by ljb »

do any of you get a eroor code at the moment? ive got a similar problem and thought it was air leak, but cant find one on any of my hoses, but i also get an error code.
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

You can pick up standard BOVs for £10 - £15. This is your best bet as they can leak when they're old. Make sure it comes with the one-way valve, though and that you get it connected the right way round.

A properly working stock one is a good bit of kit :thumleft: You don't need an aftermarket one unless you want the sound or you're running 350bhp + :thumleft:
Spittinflames

Post by Spittinflames »

I've got a standard bov sitting in the garage i took off my car if anyone needs one.

Also a little bit of advice, if anyones looking for the one way valve go to your local petstore and go to the fishtank section. For about 1.50 you can get the same thing.

I had one on mine for ages and did the job fine, My original one snapped.
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

Spittinflames wrote:Also a little bit of advice, if anyones looking for the one way valve go to your local petstore and go to the fishtank section. For about 1.50 you can get the same thing!

You sir are a legend!!! :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Return to “Mechanical”