[Mk2] [Turbo] Failed MOT - Handbrake unsatisfactory

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

philh

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Failed MOT - Handbrake unsatisfactory

Post by philh »

also very very important to adjust lever for 7-10 clicks NOT 2-3 as this will not allow ratcheting lever inside caliper to self adjust every time handbrake is used.
Spittinflames

Post by Spittinflames »

Sorry my post sounded a bit harsh.

All i'm saying is that i've gone through all this myself, I adjusted old cables but they still never really held, just had less clicks.

I would replace anyway, treat it like a seriveable item, they wear out. I was lucky when mine snapped, I'd just called in a chippy with a mate, the car was facing downbank towards the chipshop window, It snapped as i just sat down back in the car.

For how long it takes to replace them and how cheap they are it's not worth messing about with... much more so when you find out you handbrake finally works :lol:
jamiej

Post by jamiej »

just a small point, maybe of no use BUT ...

i know for a fact that one side of my rears s not engaging as it should when th handbrake is applied.

I have also found out that, when i release the handbrake from the car sitting (parked) for a long time, the handbrake level doesnt sit totally flat, it kind flops up and down for a bit until after about 5 mins when its fully flat (if you know what i mean)

Local mechanic said that this is defiantely a porblem with the handbrake cable, the MR2s are apparently known for handbrake problems i heard.

just another thing to check i guess.

Also, theres not a kink of block in the brake line to the caliper, new or not, its not gonna work if the brake fluid is not getting to the body of the caliper.

Hope this helps
Jamie
philh

Post by philh »

All i'm saying is that i've gone through all this myself, I adjusted old cables but they still never really held, just had less clicks.

Just goes to show why 7-10 is VERY important for long term operation NEVER any less My handbrake when fully applied is nearly vertical like a lighthous,
dervbas

Post by dervbas »

I am going to try 7+ clicks, and if that doesn't work I am going to order a pair of handbrake cables.

How important was it to have adjusted the piston on BOTH sides (i.e. the side thats working ok aswell)???

edit:
Got a price list on the 3 parts to the handbrake cable:

Part A s/n BC3132
Part B s/n BC3170
Part C s/n BC3169 (bit I want!)
dervbas

Post by dervbas »

Car has passed the MOT, 3rd time lucky huh?

I didn't replace the cables, just re-adjusted the new piston again and put the handbrake on three clicks.

Cheers for all your thoughts and comments on this topic over the last few weeks. :clap:
JOHNM400

Post by JOHNM400 »

Never doubt Mr Woods the God of MR2's lol

Glad its passed mate.
dervbas

Post by dervbas »

lol - back to the same problem and MOT failure this May!

I'm just gonna do what I did last year I think, in my last post in this topic (winding back piston again and adjusting lever to 3 clicks).
chrisE

Post by chrisE »

philh wrote:also very very important to adjust lever for 7-10 clicks NOT 2-3 as this will not allow ratcheting lever inside caliper to self adjust every time handbrake is used.

Absolutely spot on :thumleft:

Return to “Mechanical”