[Mk2] [Turbo] The car just bogged

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Pirate

[Mk2] [Turbo] The car just bogged

Post by Pirate »

Today i was driving up the dual carrageway and this guy in front was going very slowly , so i changed down a gear and accelerated to overtake however before i even had the chance to overtake the car sputtered , bogged back and wouldn't go. Took it out third and put it back into fourth and didn't bother to overtake.

It did this the other day :-k , however accelerating through the gears and its fine i wonder if all the certain problems is related due to the increase in heat(hot weather) ?
ci_newman

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] The car just bogged

Post by ci_newman »

What car have you got?

That sounds like a misfire to me, when was the last time the ignition bits were last serviced? (Spark plugs etc)
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

I had this problem, turned out to be either a loose earth wire on my inlet manifold or because my airfilter to turbo hose was loose. (I was fiddling with these the other day when trying to get my car to start and now I have no bogging down when I go to boot it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: )

Also check your other hoses going to intercooler etc.

could you hear your turbo spooling up like mad but you wernt going anywhere?
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

ci_newman wrote:What car have you got?

That sounds like a misfire to me, when was the last time the ignition bits were last serviced? (Spark plugs etc)

Spark Plugs end of last year , Leads just over two months , Dizzy start of last year sometime.

Steve-O 2007 wrote:I had this problem, turned out to be either a loose earth wire on my inlet manifold or because my airfilter to turbo hose was loose. (I was fiddling with these the other day when trying to get my car to start and now I have no bogging down when I go to boot it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: )

Also check your other hoses going to intercooler etc.

could you hear your turbo spooling up like mad but you wernt going anywhere?

Thats the strange thing boosting through the gears , accelerating hard in second or third and up and its fine. However dropping a gear so i can get the higher revs and quicker spool and it bogged on me. Yes to your question :lol:
MR2_RICH

Post by MR2_RICH »

I have this problem. Full throttle through all the gears and all is ok.

If I'm driving down the road and want to overtake drop down a gear and splutter / hesitation etc. I'm going to book my car in at Rogue for a full service. Apparently MR2 Turbo's eat ignition components so thats where I would look.

:thumleft:
Spittinflames

Post by Spittinflames »

MR2_RICH wrote:I have this problem. Full throttle through all the gears and all is ok.

If I'm driving down the road and want to overtake drop down a gear and splutter / hesitation etc. I'm going to book my car in at Rogue for a full service. Apparently MR2 Turbo's eat ignition components so thats where I would look.

:thumleft:

If its your ignition components it wont bog down as such, it will normally splutter. I've got a vid of mine somewhere when the dizzy and rotor arm were bad.... It would drive ok but nail it and it would stutter and miss.

Bogging down sound more like 1. intercooler pipes are not sealed (leak somewhere. 2. Airflow metre is bad (ive also had that and got it on vid) That does make your car run really bad though.

Return to “Mechanical”